Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscm86

Backsplash for Taj Mahal with White Cabinets

jscm86
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

Hi everyone, the wife and I finally decided to remodel our kitchen and we're in the homestretch, but we are having trouble deciding on a backsplash. Could you please help? We've scoured the internet and tile stores and we keep coming back to this zillige tile or similar(montouk gin white, amaganset gin white,etc). We picked up the one at Floor and Decor called zillige pearl opal polished ceramic.

We think this works, but we keep going back and forth. I just want to be done with this whole process. lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (53)

• jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Flo Mangan, we dont particularly like square tiles. We wanted to go for 2x12 herringbone or something along those lines. But yea, you hit the nail on the head- we know we need something subtle, but don't want it to be too white or uniform looking.

Thanks for this suggestion! Seems to focus on colors closer to the countertop. Do you know if this particular tile is in home improvement store? Everyone seems to have different names for the same tiles.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    9 days ago

I believe doing a herringbone tile pattern with Taj might be too busy looking. So I would not recommend that. Taj is the star. Backsplash should be “quiet” and not draw attention away from the Taj. Not sure what options are available from big box stores but you would need to explore that in person. There are many options out there.

• Kendrah
    9 days ago

The tile samples in your pic are too white. They make your cabinets look yellowed out - like old cabinets that have turned colors. I'd run a 4" strip of Taj and paint the rest of the splash the same color as your wall color. Your have picked out really sublte colors and a counter the speak for themselves and don't need the distraction of a splash at all.

That said, if you are wed to having a splash, your Taj is subtle so it could go with a herringbone with it, however, it has to be the right size herringbone. These tiles create a really large scale herringbone pattern that is out of proportion with your kitchen size and cabinet run.

Read this thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6338278/backsplash-suggestions-for-taj-mahal-quartzite

Google "backsplash tile for taj countertops"

jscm86 thanked Kendrah
  • Boxerpal
    9 days ago

Taj Mahal is one of those beautiful stones that can range from creamy white to creamy gray with every shade in between. The tiles you have are bright, probably too bright. I think the herringbone could work if the color were closer to your stone. Notice this below.

Taj Mahal Quartzite Kitchen Countertop · More Info

Here is a suggestion that is not square but gives some movement.

Grand River Drive kitchen remodel · More Info

Quartzite Taj Mahal · More Info

A Stunningly Beautiful Kitchen for a Stunningly Beautiful Home · More Info

Modern Transformation · More Info

jscm86 thanked Boxerpal
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

A five inch square, offset, looks a lot newer than a white herringbone, and that is definitely too white.

In any case, even a 2 x 8 will look less busy offset thirds.

I would sample Elyse Edwards " Tongue in Chic collection which comes 5 x 5 or 2 x 8 in three finishes, gloss, matte, and opal.

Colors ....."You don't snow me" I think I'll Bisque it" ......and "Don't be a shell out"

https://www.alysedwards.com/en/product/detail/tongue-in-chic-tile/?itemNo=AECTONSN210O

Taj and can't remember which, here below.: )

Interior Design Work · More Info

Interior Design Work · More Info

jscm86 thanked JAN MOYER
  • jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Here's a picture of the actual slab we used in case that helps. We liked that it was subtle and didn't have as much brown or movement as some of the others we saw.

• jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Kendrah, thanks for that feedback. Yea I think we are married to getting a backsplash at this point. We thought about just doing Taj backsplash, but decided against it because of the cost. We had the 4 inch strip before, but didn't like the look of it.

Boxerpal, thanks for the feedback. Wanted to stay away from too much brown or tan. The second and third options look interesting so will add those to the list.

Jan Moyer, we like the look of those, particularly the triangular dont be a shellout. Found a couple stores nearby that carry the brand, so I will try to check out and get some samples today.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

The only way to tell is stand them up in your kitchen.: )

I would add that a rise need NOT be a mere four inches. It can be eight, nine....ten"! .....and at taller heights? Is quite a cool look and not busy. You may want to reconsider doing that with the Taj.

• jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

What would we do with the the area above stove and behind hood if we add a taj rise? Just keep it painted? It's worth noting that we do cook alot and one of the thing we struggled with was keeping the grease and buildup off the walls and cabinet. Hopefully the hood will help with that.

• auntthelma
    9 days ago

We went with the rise and painted the walls. Beyind the stove, we put a sheet of stainless steel.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

If you have the correct venting, you will have a lot less grease. You can run that portion up to bottom of hood.....

The key to a fan, is to run that fan well BEFORE you begin to saute or sear!

We're not seeing your kitchen plan ( feet and inches)

What is the hood style here and what width with what size cooker? You cabinets don't meet ceiling, so I am guessing chimney style and stainless?

• Design2 girl
    9 days ago

I think your kitchen is going to be fabulous! Can you share your paint color on the cabinets? Love it with the Taj! Good luck on the backsplash!

• jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks Design2 girl. Cabinets are uptown white by forevermark. Note we've had some minor issues with chipping so far.

• jscm86
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Jan Moyer, yes we plan for a stainless hood with ss crown molding. cooktop and hood are 30 inches. It's about 18 inches from top of counters to cabinet.

• chispa
    9 days ago

Lots of options for tiles that go with Taj Mahal and not everyone will like what you choose! So pick what you like.

I went with this marble mosaic. The white (honed) marble works with our BM Chantilly Lace cabinets and the brown (polished) marble works with our wood floors and ceiling beams.

I tried samples of every tile out there and took over 5 months to make a decision once the rest of the kitchen was finished. I had gone through a similar search years before, because I had also used Taj Mahal in my previous house, but that kitchen had stained cabinets and was a different style of house.

jscm86 thanked chispa
  • chispa
    9 days ago

This is the same Jeffrey Court mosaic I used, but in a different pattern

JT Ranch · More Info

Sonoma Tile, Dahlia in Daydream

Cedarbrush - Spanish Modern · More Info

Walker Zanger Tangent Zephyr in Calacata

Querbes · More Info

Fireclay tile backsplash in Rosemary.

White kitchen · More Info

Backsplash - Plumage Mosaic by Encore. Ceramic molding also by Encore, in Westin Ash.

Grandview · More Info

jscm86 thanked chispa
  • jscm86
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Got a few more samples that I think could work taking some of the advice offered here. Interested to get your thoughts on these:

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

What's the under cab lighting? It looks too cold, and I think it is really throwing you off.

Second question? The cook is 30" as is the venting, which should have been 36" but a little late for that.

You mention both SS and crown, clarify: You plan to return crown to wall behind stainless? I'd be no on that.

The second, fourth and fifth tile sample in left to right in your pic? Nope. : )

• RedRyder
    8 days ago

The one all the way to the right looks best on my monitor. I also think that size is interesting. Just make sure your grout matches closely.

• elcieg
    8 days ago

Taj Mahal for backsplash. Then you get to see more of it.

• jscm86
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Hi Jan, under cabinet lighting is set to cool white in these pictures, but I can set it to whatever as they are multi color led. They are also deliberately placed on the front lip of cabinet(facing the backsplash) because I was afraid of it being too reflective if pointed down at the countertops. Here's a couple pics with it changed to warmer yellow.

The vent hood should look like this when installed(we would put the molding up to ceiling if we decide to use). We weren't working with much room to right of cabinet and didn't wan to go through trouble of changing layout so it's 30 inch and so is cooktop.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZLINE-Kitchen-and-Bath-30-in-400-CFM-Convertible-Vent-Wall-Mount-Range-Hood-with-Crown-Molding-in-Stainless-Steel-KBCRN-30/207078931?cm_mmc=ecc--

• jscm86
    Original Author
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Hi everyone, spent a few days going to tile stores and combing over selections, but we seem to be ending up at a similar place and it's all starting to look the same. lol. Anyways, we brought a sample of the actual slab with us and we ended up at at this Myorka White tile. It does seem to appear more gray in these pictures than in the store. Thoughts? I also put it next to other samples for comparison, but it comes in subtle variations.

• jo mu
    4 days ago

• jscm86
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Jo, yes thats the one, but the box comes in slight variations.

• jo mu
    4 days ago

Oh! I didn't realize it's the same as the zigzag tile

My suggestion is to not tile in that pattern!

It makes it look too busy especially with the variation I'd do stacked vertical or horizontal or brick too

• jo mu
    4 days ago

It does look a bit too cool but it's hard to say I'm sure in person it reads differently

• herbflavor
    4 days ago

i think there is a yellow undertone.....problem becomes the counter then reads peach and the slight yellow is more so w the counter tone. I actually like the one with the gray boundary around the edge. with your hardware and a warm gray grout I think that would be a nice detail and the white doesnt seem to read yellow in that tile. what we see on our screen may not be the impression in your space.

• Andrea R.
    4 days ago

This is crazy but im currently in literally the exact same boat! Also Taj Mahal counters, white cabinets and also landed on the Mayorka white glazed tile!!! ive already ordered the tile and honestly the tone seems to look the closest to the background color of the Taj. It really depends on the lighting which is driving me insane. ill post some pics of the tiles ive taped up possible layouts bur think we are going with traditional brick install. the tiles have quite a bit of variation and seem to have a chameleon quality.

• Andrea R.
    4 days ago

There is some variation like i said and the color changes depending on lighting but tiles themselves are quite pretty. Have a luminous quality and the other half of the batch is more of a glazed finish. Some of the glossier looking ones tiles can lean more gray (depending on lighting again) but once mixed in with the creamy/off white color of the others I think it will blend nicely IMO. But im going for a transitional modern with some indistrual accents so that is factoring into my decision. Also going with a 30” range hood! we decided on a black stainless which is somewhere in between black and stainless.

jscm86 thanked Andrea R.
  • jscm86
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Andrea Rodman, WOW, did you sneak into my house and take pictures? lol this is crazy!! Thank you for sharing your pictures, this was exactly my concern that this tile would have too many variations. We were one second away from pulling the trigger in the store because the sample we compared to out slab went perfectly, but then as you said when we got home with different lighting it looked more gray/cool which confounded me. I even requested a box but they didn't have any on site. Anyway, I'm torn but your pictures are SUPER helpful! I'm going to share this with my wife and see where we end up- I think she still likes it. We originally thought about herringbone pattern, but as others here have suggested we thought it might be too busy. When is your install? Would love to see the finished product.

• Andrea R.
    4 days ago

I know what are the odds right?! Im just glad Im not the only person agonizing over this. i cant count how many hours ive spent going to tile shops (Floor and decor knows me well!) and my husband probably thinks Im mad. But thats ok. Our tile guy is coming to start next Monday so kinda forced to make a decision. I had over 2 months to decide. I also ordered samples online from tilebar which were gorgeous but ultimately we still kept going back to the Myorka White! I will post some photos of those and their names just in case it helps. But if you find a another tile that looks better PLEASE let me know! I still might have time before Monday! :)

• jscm86
    Original Author
    4 days ago

hi Andrea, goodluck!! Will do! if you dont mind, could you please post another picture of the tiles showing the variations in daylight? it is a bit hard to see because of the lighting in the ones you posted.

• Andrea R.
    4 days ago

Also jscm86 the 2 types of finishes in the Mayorka white are 1) glazed/matte finish and 2) slightly more glossy reflective finish. They are subtle, not obvious but your tile person would need to stagger them. I took some time and separated mine into 2 piles just to make it easier for my guy when hes installing but some tiles actually have a litte bit of both finishes just to tilt my OCD into overdrive.

but again im talking subtle variations here so it just depends on what you guys want. Happy to help! Again so funny!!! Curious what part of the country you are in? We are in Florida.

Oh and I originally wanted the herringbone too! ;)

• Andrea R.
    4 days ago

Yes will send daylight photos as well. good idea

• jscm86
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Im good with it having subtle variations, only thing bothering me slightly then is it coming off too gray/cool. Im in NJ, but it sounds like we are the same person. Im a numbers person but im super ocd about stuff like this.

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Too funny! Heres some daylight photos.

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

The quality of these images isnt great. Houzz must compress them-let me know if you want I can send them over IM

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

Sorry having trrouble uploading photos

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

Another one we strongly considered is Tile Bar’s Montauk collection, color is “gin”. There is also a “sand dune” color but that was too tan i felt.

This one is SO close to the Mayorka! You can see side by side in the next photo. The main difference I see is the Montauk gin has more of dimpling pattern.

jscm86 thanked Andrea R.
  • Andrea R.
    3 days ago

sorry my OCD is taking over. Now that im looking more closely the Montauk Gin is less gray than the Mayorka. Just ever so slightly. Gin on right again. Slighly more iridescent and picks up a tiny bit of pink but so close i have to double check

• abqwside6209
    3 days ago

Best and easiest way to pick backsplash. Buy white poster board and place backsplash samples against it, then place that in vertical position on top of counter.You can then better see undertones in countertop, cabinets. Don't use brown cardboard...

• jscm86
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thanks Andrea. Not surprisingly we also considered Tilebar's montouk gin first, but didn't have time to wait for a sample so we found something similar. Also agreed that sand dune was too tan. I think I read that they are supposed to be from the same manufacturer and are just rebranded. What color grout are you using? the shop we went to suggested "moon beam" which was a grayish color that best matched the tile. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to share your pictures. Im sure it will turn out great.

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

Oh thats interesting about the two tiles being the same. makes sense. they are virtually identical. for grout im using one called frost. thanks and good luck!

• jscm86
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thanks again Flo for that advice. I'll definitely ask about that and would feel better pulling the trigger if it's something they could confirm.

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

You are so right. The Tilebar Montauk Gin White abd Mayorka white by Soho have same name and Sku on back of both tiles. i had to peel off the tilebar sticker to see it.

• dani_m08
    3 days ago

Equipe manufactures tiles for many retailers - Bedrosian’s Cloe line that everyone was using (in White) a couple years ago is made by Equipe. Ivy Hill sells quite a few of the styles + other retailers that are available at HD and Lowes - as well as actual tile stores.

Both of your kitchens are going to look beautiful! Must feel good to be near the finish line!

• Andrea R.
    3 days ago

that is good to know! Makes it easier now looking online for photo examples when its the same as other more popular brands! Thank you for your kind words-im a bit nervous but of course excited to see how it turns out!

• A C
    3 days ago

I’ve been in a bit of a quandary myself with Taj (look at my post history), but it’s in a bathroom so there’s no tile sitting right next to it like your backsplash… Anyway, I thought I’d show you what I chose for the nearby shower walls in case you want to give it some consideration. Here is a photo of the mosaic pickets, but they come in a straight stack pattern too. I went with the pearl color. They look quite different (darker) on the Daltile site than in person in natural lighting, as you can see from the photo. They aren't gray at all - more of an off white or very light beige. Your nearest Daltile showroom should have samples you can see, or you can order them and have shipped to your home.

https://www.daltile.com/products/mosaic/miramo/pearl