Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_490324957

Help Coordinating Cabinet Color to Existing 1960s Wall Tile

Michelle G.
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

I need help in selecting a cabinet color for our vanity which should coordinate with our existing 1960s wall tile. The wall tile is on the warmer side of white but when the light changes throughout the day it can look brighter white or a bit warmer. I'm trying to decide between Linen (a warm white) and Vanilla (darker, creamy white). I oscillate between the two because the Linen (lighter) tends to "lighten & brighten up" the space and the Vanilla (darker) tends to look drab. The toilet, sinks, and bathtub will be standard white. I will also be selecting a countertop after I select my cabinet color. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (17)

• eld6161
    9 days ago

I never thought about matching a vanity to tile!

Why not do a light wood?

Michelle G. thanked eld6161
  • Michelle G.
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks very much for your response. I can't do wood because we have all 1960s honey oak trim that we can't change out. The vanity is next to the tiled wall, so my thought was that it should somewhat coordinate. If you have any suggestions, I'm open.

• kandrewspa
    9 days ago

They both look fine in the pictures. Since you like the lighter one better, go with it. Finding a countertop could be challenging.

Michelle G. thanked kandrewspa
  • millworkman
    9 days ago

" I can't do wood because we have all 1960s honey oak trim that we can't change out. "

Why not show a picture of the entire bathroom then as in your opinion that is the elephant in the room.

Michelle G. thanked millworkman
  • Boxerpal
    9 days ago

Yes.. trying to match to the tile could pose a problem.

Maybe do something different with the vanity.

Home Away From Home · More Info

Maybe match the trim to the vanity.

From This Old House Favorite Bathrooms

Craftsman Master Bath · More Info

Michelle G. thanked Boxerpal
  • Kendrah
    9 days ago

Can you post a pic of the entire room? Based on this little area I’d go with brighter white vanity. But there is a lot to consider here including your flooring.

What type of countertop do you intend to use? What color? You might decide on vanity now and find that you change your mind once looking at tops.

Matching whites is a really challenging task. I appreciate that you are taking it on and not just gutting your perfectly good tile.

Michelle G. thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    9 days ago

Are you replacing a tub? You mention the existing wall tiles...

Michelle G. thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • Maureen
    9 days ago

Thinking bigger picture: you’ll have 3 whites in the end (cabinets, tile and fixtures), then you add in the counter and your flooring (what does it look like?).

A contrasting color will help lessen the impact of the different whites, while creating more interest and better pull the space together. Suggest black which suits almost everything, add back accessories/faucets and nice hardware.

Michelle G. thanked Maureen
  • Kendrah
    9 days ago

@Jan, What counter would you use with this tile and bright white vanity?

Michelle G. thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago

I need to see the whole bathroom and colors chosen inline are always a bad idea. Why white at all for the vanity / I would choose the counter and then paint the vanity a color from the counter to add a bit of interest in the space . Change all the lighting to LED 4000K if you want colors to stay true all the time. What is that sample sitting on the toilet tank? What are the floors ? Poist a pic of the whole space please and BTW if changing the tub you do know the waterproofing for the shower will be compromised so maybe a new tile is in your future We nned mor einfo and pics both posted here in comments DO NOT start another post.

Michelle G. thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • apple_pie_order
    8 days ago

Match the white of the sink and toilet, not the tile. A Corian countertop would be fine.

Michelle G. thanked apple_pie_order
  • RedRyder
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Try to post a photo of the whole room. @JAN MOYER gave you your answer. Everyone else is agreeing - go white. But the countertop will offer you some options. @Maureen’s black and white theme also looks gorgeous.

Countertops come in so many varieties - materials, color - that it will be easier to find that once the other items are installed.

Michelle G. thanked RedRyder
  • Michelle G.
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I'm humbled that so many have offered advice concerning my dilemma. Thanks so much to all!

Below is a pic of the full bathroom in need of a refresh.

@Kendrah: I "plan" on going with a quartz counter and am considering "Difinity Olimpico" which looks like a marble. Or possibly "Caesarstone Frosty Carrina." I have selected "Mannington

Austria Snow" flooring. (All pictured below.)

@ShippackTile&Stone: Keeping the tub, but the shower curtain will essentially cover it.

@JanMoyer: OMG...I cannot believe you have the same tile! You must be my long-lost friend! :) Just kidding; so tickled by your reply. I'm definitely hung up and appreciate your advice. Our current paint color is taken from the "speckles" color. I'm probably going to change the paint color to de-emphasize the speckles.

@Maureen: We were originally going to do a black vanity, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to pull additional black in the room because I've fallen in love with the look of a white bathroom. But, I'm definitely going to take a second look.

@PatriciaColwell: I appreciate your great ideas which I will consider. The quartz sample is Difinity Olimpico. To my eye, it looks like marble. The floors are Mannington Austria Snow (pics added above). We're keeping the tub (which is essentially not seen behind the shower curtain).

@ApplePieOrder: I'm having trouble finding any Corian countertop samples that are big enough to consider. The small samples I've seen at the store are too small for me to get a feel for the pattern/color. :(

Thanks, again, to all who have provided valuable input to help solve my dilemma. I truly appreciate your thoughts & ideas. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

CAMEO WHITE! CORIAN

PLAIN.....: ) I HAVE IT IN THERE LOL

• elcieg
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Consider a different style, stain, wood cabinet. Do you like wallpaper for above the tile?

Michelle G. thanked elcieg
  • Michelle G.
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I love that look, but unfortunately I think it would clash with the existing honey oak doors & trim. Also, we have to use semi-custom cabinetry that is flush with the tiled wall in order to preserve the tile. Thanks for your suggestion, and again, I LOVE that look!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH