Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_bennett72

Kitchen sink location

Andrea Bennett
10 days ago

In our kitchen design we have centered the sink on the island but wondering if move it to be centered with hood and cooktop instead?

Any suggestions or thoughts on which would look better.

Comments (4)

• M Miller
    10 days ago

It's actually better for the sink to be offset from the cooktop (not centered). That is because if someone is at the cooktop, and also someone is at the sink, they won't be touching behinds. I might make the sink actually more offset than it is now, so that the placement looks more purposeful. That will also give you a somewhat larger uninterrupted counter space on the island.

• Buehl
    10 days ago

I would move the sink as far to the left (oven end) as needed to get at least 42" of prep space on the refrigerator end of the island.

The DW should be on the ovens end of the island on the other side of the sink from the prep space.

Since all three primary work zones (Prep, Cooking, Cleanup) will be in that one area of your Kitchen, be sure that aisle is at least 48" between the refrigerator handle and the island's counter edge.

• Andrea Bennett
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks! With the sink centered we currently have 42” on each side (it’s a huge island). We also have 50” between oven wall and island.

• Einav B
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

With the sink centered we currently have 42” on each side (it’s a huge island)

Sounds like you have a 10' island (give or take), as do I.

42" on each side may not be sufficient (but this really depends on your cooking habits and needs). In my kitchen, I have a dish-drying rack on one side of the sink; a good one is at least 2' wide, so that leaves ~1.5' empty on that side for prep - which is pretty useless (to me).

That leaves 42" of prep area on the other side of the sink.

I usually like to prep at least 8" away from the sink (as I don't want splashes of water, dish-soap (or hand-soap) and dirt on the salad veggies that I'm prepping). So that would leave you at about 36" (3') of prep area. If that's sufficient for you (which it may be) - that's great. I personally would be super-frustrated.

Right now, in my 10' kitchen-island, I have a very-non-centered sink which gives me 68" of prep area (or, practically, 60" (5') if I'm subtracting the 8" splash-zone I mentioned earlier). The other side is fully occupied with a dish-drying-rack. This setup is actually border-line insufficient to me too, but I've had to work with what I had... still, I'm very grateful to the previous owner (who built this house) for NOT centering the sink in the island...

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations