Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcommom

New home - Making living area special

marcommom
10 days ago

Hello Experts.
We moved into a brand new home a few months ago and have been slowly adding furniture. I have a few questions about next steps.
All the walls are SW City Loft builder grade.
We will mount the tv but with all this white all over the place I’d like to do something REASONABLE to make the wall a focal point. We can’t DIY much bc the ceilings are 11’.
Also, if we have our LOVESAC configured as is, I feel like it’s not centered to the console and tv and looks unbalanced. Can’t move the couch much bc need walking space.
Lastly, would love coffee table ideas with shelf or storage and any other accents to really make this space special.
We will be blowing out the closet at right and adding in a liquor cabinet and display. Eventually.
Thank you so much!!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

Do you think that one photo clearly explains your total room?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

What is the purpose of having a chair in the corner that cannot see the TV and cannot participate in the conversation???

• marcommom
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Sorry this view didn’t post earlier.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The blue chair was just something we popped in there temporarily. We’ve only been here a few months and are working.

• jackowskib
    10 days ago

What is the wall space opposite the sliding doors? Would that be usable for TV/console?

• marcommom
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@jackowskib no it’s small adjacent to long hallway and currently has an awkward closet which we are going to turn into a liquor cabinet and display.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    10 days ago

I would still accent the tv wall. You don't have to go all the way up.... as for the future closet demo...I would make it a 8 or 9 foot opening. I did this 18 foot wall like this. Granted, it has windows..but you get the point

• cubby14
    10 days ago

We have a very similar wall to yours in our home and were also thinking of doing and accent wall somehow but eventually decided against it. I think you could use some curtains to soften the slider and a new ceiling fan and then art and accessories. Here is my wall. For comparison our ceiling height is 12ft compared to your 11ft.

• elcieg
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

feel like it’s not centered to the console and tv and looks unbalanced. Can’t move the couch much bc need walking space.

Then move the console and t v so both are centered on the sectional. Make it look intentional by leaving bare the now empty space wall near the sliders.

• Lyn Nielson
    9 days ago

Do you have room to spin the sectional so the long side faces the sliding doors?

Do you need the credenze? you could place it behind the small piece of the sectional or replace it with something else. Mount the TV on the wall.

Move the plant to the corner.

• ptreckel
    9 days ago

Can you move your dining table so that it is parallel with the back of your sofa? We can’t really see the furniture layout in the rest of the room. But it appears that you might gain more space in the living area if your change the orientation of the table and can move the sofa back a few feet. You don’t have room for a coffee table. I would place the tv above a long low narrow shelf on the wall.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@ptreckel the kitchen island is paralle to the back of the couch. I’m going to do a new post with more pics and a better list of questions. Thank you!

• partim
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Your room needs better balance, which you will not achieve by centering anything.

Remove the blue chair, and put your palm in its place. Maybe the palm needs to be on a slightly higher base. Then keep sliding the credenza to the right until it starts to feel balanced. Don't try to center it on anything - this is art, not science.

I agree that the window would be improved with curtains. They will soften the room, even if they are stationary and don't cover the window. You may decide that wall needs one piece of art work to the left of the TV.

Adding curtains and artwork will change your visual balance, so don't mount the TV to the wall until everything is done and you're satisfied.

Take any decor items off the credenza. Don't paint the wall a different colour. It is not necessary - it is clearly the focal wall because your seating faces it. If you want to further keep the eye on that wall, paint your white closet (door and trim) the same colour as the wall.

Nice room, you'll get there.

marcommom thanked partim
  • marcommom
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@Partim Thank you for the wonderful and undertstandable suggestions. Three questions:

1. You mention curtains, I can do white sheers or semi sheer - patterned? Also, there are two large windows in the adjacent dining area - they do not go to the floor. Can I leave those without curtains? I will add photos of the other side of the room.

2. We need a coffee table - I assume a long rectangle, what material would you suggest? Credenza is mango with silvery textured inlay. I have my eye on one that is a natural wood with bronze softly rounded hardware. But, it would extend 2" beyond the short end of the sofa.

3. We can remove the sofa arm on the short end. Or should we leave it there? Makes it kind of a loveseat.

Thanks again. Posting more pics now.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    9 days ago

• marcommom
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@chispa Thank you - I love the rug and credenza, the colors work really well together! Sometimes I think opposing patterns are cool, maybe that's theoreticlally wrong though! Thank you on the centering seems to be a consensus!