Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidhimarks

Cottage Sunroom/ Gazebo redecorating

V Marks
11 days ago

Hi,

I am looking to redecorate this sunroom that we have at our cottage property. It is right at the edge of the water and have beautiful views. I would like to add lounging and dining space for 8-10 people here . We already have this but the place is not optimized. I will be getting new furniture.

Thanks in advance. Vidhi

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Show us the portion of the room where you have the lounge seating

How about some dimensions?

• V Marks
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The lounge space is basically that portion of the sectional sofa that you see. I will try to get more pictures pointing that side. The space is about 15x15 feet square

• V Marks
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Here is an outside view of where this space ia

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

We need an actual to scal eplan on graph paper showing all windows doorways and where those lead . Every measurement clearly marked and posted here in jpeg format in a comment DO NT satrt another post . The xterior looks very modern but your furnishings are very traditional so some hint as to your style might help too. I went to your idea books but no clear understanding of your style there.

• Sigrid
    10 days ago

What you appear to have is a bunch of furniture for various uses (home office, dining, living room) and none of it appears to be particularly good for any of those purposes. My bet would be some of it is furniture you had no other place for. I'd focus on one main purpose and possibly a secondary one and focus on those. Make it work very well for the primary purpose and okay for the secondary. Do double-duty, where possible, like getting some dining chairs that would work for extra seating in the living area.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

It looks like the “Stepchild Room” that often happens inadvertently. All the “I don’t like this here” furniture ended up in that space.

You need to be intentional with what you want to do in it - Serve cocktails? Do puzzles? Paint? Read? If you think about it and post your idea for that space, you’ll get better ideas. Beverly gave you a great first thought - someplace to sit and someplace to eat.

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

I would start by addressing any possible leaks in the roof if they exist…then…as you have plenty of natural wood finishes ….I would paint the ceiling a pretty color..matching the blue sky in your pic would be pretty..this would make this an inviting space in the cooler seasons…even winter..if you have airtight construction..and then some sort of added heating source…you could select comfy casual furniture…even with washable slipcovers..usually furniture light enough to move around easily is a good idea….and add a ceiling fan (with a light) so you can open the windows to circulate and freshen the air……..in the event of mosquitoes or other annoying insects …easy to install screens on some of the windows…are a big plus

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

This seems like a great spot for kids (or adults🤷🏻‍♀️)to sleep in ..in the summers… so a few sleeping bags and cushions kept handy would be fun..

• elcieg
    10 days ago

Wow! Would you share in what state is your property. Gorgeous. "On Golden Pond".

Does the neighborhood close up for winter or could you live there tyear 'round?

I suggest you lighten it up by painting the walls white.

A large sectional (wicker) should give you enough room for 8 or 10. Just keep it rustic.

The wood dining table, with the distressed top shows it could have a leaf. Make the table fit at least 8 and then paint it. Add a mix of different chairs (you have two).

• V Marks
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this post. As I mentioned in the original post, this is a gazebo/ screened porch at our cottage/ lakehouse property. This cottage property is also rented out to guests so it would great to get perspective from people on how they would use this space. I want this place to be re-imagined, and redecorated. All the furniture here will go. I am not up there right now, but I will be getting more pictures and measurements by tomorrow. Thanks

• Paul F.
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

So, this needs to have pull out sleepers for the renters?

• V Marks
    Original Author
    8 days ago

No, the main cottage has anough sleeping space and bedrooms. This will be more of a recreational/ games/ extra dining space. Thank you Paul F. For this image!!

• V Marks
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Here are additional phots and dimensions. The fireplace is non functional but we do not have the budget to remove it, ao that unfortunately needs to stay in that corner.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

What a great space! First things first. Fix any roof leaks. I might see some rotted wood on ceiling. That is important to repair so damage doesn’t keep getting worse. I would make this “game central”. (Once it is sealed and water proof. Transform fireplace situation into a small bar area. Put small drink cooler into the under cabinet of bar. Properly seal up fireplace to keep out critters and water. Paint a faux screen on plywood where you close up fireplace fire box inside. No sectional. Just stackable chairs for game table, shuffle board table, small drink tables and no fabrics. Or only outdoor performance fabrics. Make the spot to right of fireplace functional. Place for charging electronics, board games, etc. Once ceiling is secure, white wash it. Leave walls wood. Paint door a robin’s egg blue or fun color. Hang some binoculars for water viewing. Add some fishing gear. Things like that. Have fun with it. Great space!

• V Marks
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you Flo Mangan for your response!

• RedRyder
    7 days ago

I would add low credenzas around the room to hold games, extra blankets to keep feet warm, puzzles, books, etc.

Different “sections” for different activities seems right for this space (a small couch, table + chairs for eating, game table, ottoman). I love Flo’s idea of whitewashing the ceiling and a fun color on the door. I would add area rugs for warmth as well.