Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_358367509

How to compensate for an off-center window?

Raj Ram
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

We created a skylight nook in our kitchen. It's only after the drywall went up that we noticed the center window is off-center. 5" on the left of it, 5-3/4" on the the right. It's noticable since they're so close together, but I don't think our builder can do anything about it at this point. He's asking us about trim choices and I feel like we should just leave them trim-less. Adding trim will make it more noticeable, especially if we paint the walls a non-white color. Would you agree? Any ideas on how to obscure this?

Comments (17)

• Raj Ram
    Original Author
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Photo for reference.

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

Oh dear...

Are there windows above on the ceiling?

Nice idea to have drive-by windows to bring in light.

It may be an optical illusion But I would want the space corrected... It seems like the spaces between the windows are not even along with your concern on the 5 inches. And the window sizes are not even. It looks a level was not used again this may be an optical illusion but if it were my house I would take a level and a ruler to confirm the facts. Perhaps your builder should correct this on his dime. And then you can put trim, paint and thing you want as it will be correctly installed and look beautiful.

Maybe put one long window in that space.

Black Mountain Residence · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

Why are the windows so high you can't see lut? I honestly would leave them without trim.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    15 days ago

If it's going to bug you and be a constant source of irritation would suggest you have your builder shift the window.

• millworkman
    15 days ago

Not that they need to but they come just close enough to lining up with the skylites to make them look like a swing and a miss as well. Symmetry is overrated but all of this looks like it was not planned or laid out well. Or like I already said a swing and a miss.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    15 days ago

Check the shims at the jambs please as you may get the 3/8" you need without much trouble, depending upon the exterior siding.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    15 days ago

For a 3/4" difference, hopefully the OP will not notice there is a window on the right wall but not on the left wall.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    15 days ago

Curtains.

• palimpsest
    15 days ago

If this is not moved, trim that bridges the gap and goes from window to window may make it less noticeable, treating all three windows like one unit.

• Raj Ram
    Original Author
    15 days ago

To answer a few questions:

- There are 3 skylights above that are supposed to line up with these windows.

- I just talked to the plasterer and he can't leave them without trim because they'd be unlevel with the blueboard. So I have to have some sort of trim treatment.

- Luckily the siding has not been put on this section of the exterior. So maybe he can move it?

- There is no window on the left side because this nook is next to a storage closet.

- The windows are high because this overlooks a flat EPDM connected garage roof.

Fun with odd spaces!

• apb0
    15 days ago

Just a thought: can you adjust the trim to make the wall space around the center window seem even? FWIW: It's great to have those high windows for winter light in the northern hemisphere (sun path) and energy savings too.

• millworkman
    15 days ago

" - There are 3 skylights above that are supposed to line up with these windows. "

The do not line up as I mentioned above, and this makes the windows being off look worse in my opinion. Males it all look like no one had a tape measure.

• T T
    15 days ago

Move the windows now. It's not that costly and your builder should pay for it. Just Unscrew some drywall, remove windows and reframe. Could be done in a few hours at most. Push hard for what you want. This mistake is worth fixing imo.

• Raj Ram
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Due to how some load-bearing studs were framed, builder says he can't move the center window, but can move the right window over 3/4" to even out that row. But that makes the right window more misaligned with the skylight above. I'm going for it. Lesser of two evils and I feel like it's more important to get the row spaced evenly. Thanks for the advice, all.

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

@Raj Ram,

Great news. I am glad they are going to try to fix this to line up with the windows above. I agree lesser of two evils. And months from now when you are living in your space, only you will notice.

• Raj Ram
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Actually, @Boxerpal, he can only move the window on the far right over to the left a little bit. That'll make that one more out of alignment with the skylight above it but the spacing of the row of 3 windows will be even. I'm considering that the lesser of two evils, but at this point who knows! Like someone else said, curtains will save the day.

• res2architect
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Are the load bearing studs so carefully designed that one can't be made 3/8" smaller? Tell the GC to fix it.