Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdionelli

furniture for aging in place

gdionelli
13 days ago

My spouse and I have built a retirement house in another state for aging in place and now are about to start the process of furnishing it. This summer we will be traveling there for a few days at a time and have to make the most of those days in order to get our furniture purchased and delivered.

I have many questions, partly because I haven't furniture-shopped in decades.

First of all, beds: We plan to have under-bed motion-sensing light strips, so the bed cannot go all the way down to the floor. Platform beds seem to be the trend right now, and yet they seem rather low because there's only a mattress, not mattress + box springs (as in my day!) Is it possible to get taller mattresses, or to put a box spring on a platform bed? We know the height we want to have. Or are there beds with space underneath that are not platform beds? And do you purchase the mattress with the bed at most furniture stores, or purchase them separately?

Second: sofas and chairs. We know that 20" is a recommended height for sitting furniture for older people. And that we want things to be on the firm side. Also that there should be sturdy armrests to help us get out of the furniture. Are there any other considerations we're missing? We're debating recliners. Currently we have one recliner with a manually-operated lever to open and close it, and one that is electric. The manual one will probably become more difficult to operate as we get older, and we don't want to be tripping on a cord for the electric type. Is there an easy-operate non-corded recliner brand?

Finally, any thoughts about ordering furniture online rather than shopping at a local store? I like purchasing local, and the idea that it will be delivered and set up for us. But so far in perusing the websites of the local furniture stores I haven't seen many things that will work for us (although some stores can probably order for us).

I'd love to learn the experiences of anyone who has gone through this.

Comments (12)

• sushipup2
    13 days ago

Platform beds often make use of bunkie boards under the mattress. Ask wherever mattress are sold, or online. It's a solid platform that comes in various heights. I cover it with a matching fitted sheet.

gdionelli thanked sushipup2
  • gdionelli
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you, sushipup2, I didn't know of the existence of bunkie boards! Looks like they would add 1-3" of height which, depending on the bed and the mattress, might or might not be enough. I will add that to our arsenal of possibilities!

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

I’m in Canada and we have box springs available in regular 9” high or low profile in 5” high to place under a mattress so there must be something similar in the US that you could look into. It can make the bed quite high depending on the platform bed you choose, you simply need to choose the right platform bed that can accommodate the extra height of a box spring.

gdionelli thanked lisedv
  • gdionelli
    Original Author
    13 days ago

lisedv, thank you! Looks like there is such a thing as a low-profile box spring in the US - that sounds promising.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

I don't know where you live nor your budget and style but Ikea has a sofa model with rolled arms, the Uppland, that is very comfortable with a seat height at 18 1/2 inches and a washable slipcover that can be practical depending on the use. Available in different sizes & models as well as different fabrics.

gdionelli thanked lisedv
  • gdionelli
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

lisedv, there is only one IKEA in my state and it's a couple of hours away. Of course, I could purchase online. That looks very comfortable and practical, and I like the slipcover idea! Looking at the IKEA website, I see at least one model sofa that is taller, which could be a good choice. Thank you for the idea!

• ginatay124
    13 days ago

My elderly in-laws (85 and 90) live in our mother-in-law apartment. Some essentials for them are separate twin XL beds with electric head and foot adjustability, electric lift recliners, and dining chairs with arms to help them stand up. I would encourage you to have floor electrical outlets installed near your recliners.

gdionelli thanked ginatay124
  • gdionelli
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

ginatay124, we may eventually do that. It's the one thing that was discussed when we were designing the house that never made it into the plans, and we missed it until the house was finished. We're a little cautious at this point about drilling into the hardwood floors until we know for sure exactly where we want those outlets, so we'll probably get something we can work now (we're still "only" in our our 60s, and in good shape physically) and then in a few years install outlets and get electric recliners. The dining chairs with arms are a good thought. Thank you!

• KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

Aside from furnishings, how are the bathroom fixtures - toilet height & shower space? Chairs - don’t know what your budget is but I’d look at Ekornes Stressless recliners,

gdionelli thanked KW PNW Z8
  • gdionelli
    Original Author
    12 days ago

KW PNW Z8 We hired a design-build firm that is certified in aging-in-place, so those details about toilets, showers, etc are all taken care of. We have a bathroom vanity with a nifty front that will slide into the vanity opening up the space under the sink, should one of us be in a wheelchair, and the shower is curbless.

I've never heard of Ekornes Stressless recliners - I will check them (and my budget!) out! Thank you!

• gdionelli
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Olychick, thank you for the tips! I just looked up Room and Board, because I'd never heard of it. I really like their furniture! But, alas, the closest one is a 3.5 hour drive. Still, there may be a way... We also have the issue of bedding size - we have a quilt that we commissioned for an anniversary, and it's a bit longer than I'd like. So that is informing our bed height a bit, and I'll eventually have a step stool.