Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vandhna

Front house elevation symmetry vs. front entry interior symmetry

12 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

Hi All,

I'm seeking advice on installing a front door. The architect drawings placed the front door (36" with 2 sidelights, total width 72" allotted) off center of the front elevation.

From the drawing stage I hadn't noticed that the front door does not align with the exterior center dormer or the interior hall.

We are now under construction and have a chance to correct this. So the options are:

1. Install 36" front door under 2nd floor window (middle of house), no sidelights, slightly misaligned with center of house. There is no impact to the interior and the closet remains as drawn (44" depth).

2. Install 36" front door (centered) one sidelight (stair side)

3. Move the closet back (25" depth), allows for elevation 36" front door with 2 sidelights.

I'm a little nutty for symmetry and I don't love all of the options. If I change the closet depth I loose the nice straight wall of bathroom/closet, which I'm also not too happy about.

Basically, I'm not excited with any of the options outlined, so I'm trying to figure out which solution would be best (or others that I may not have thought of.)

On another note, is a single door w/sidelight(s) or a double door (30" each with glass) preferable?

Thank you Houzz Community!

Comments (7)

• 12 days ago

I realize this is too late, but the hip roof that seems to put equal balance on the dining room window to the garage door is, to me, the biggest driver of the problems here. I'd have rather seen some differentiation in roofline with the garage. And of course the dormers really push symmetry. It's also possible a shed roof migt have made more sense,

Try printing out the elevation and putting in some landscaping. Will there be steps? Any overhang in front of the door? You have some pretty large expanses of siding - I think managing around the asymmetry with landscape / hardscape may be the better answer.

vandhna thanked just_janni
  • 12 days ago

You didn’t ask, but…the mudroom and pantry. Apart from the oddness of the mudroom location, what if, instead being of a skinny space with a door and walking space taking up valuable storage, the pantry were shallower, with double or bifold doors on the dining room side? Then everything is easily accessible, and more can be stored, and the mudroom gains some inches, maybe 12”, in width which will surely come in handy for storage or for two people to pass each other.

You mentioned the powder room. Why is it a full bath, on a floor without a bedroom or a space that could be a bedroom?

This is, in general a very interesting proposed layout altogether.

vandhna thanked bpath
  • 12 days ago

We plan to remodel the second floor and exterior, but that would require a special permit, therefore all of the exterior work and conversion to a two-car garage door is on hold for now. We've been told that it is often difficult to put changes through with our town, particularly things like dormer windows since they increase our FAR (floor:area ratio) which our house already exceeds. Ultimately if are not able to make any further changes to the second floor, we want to make sure the front door is not at odds with 2nd floor dormer window.

• PRO
    12 days ago

It is helpful to post upright.

Why are you locating a full bath at the front door? Lose it, check to see if you have a licensed architect or a low skill draftsman?

vandhna thanked JAN MOYER
  • 12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

What if you did something like this?

Centered over door and aligned with the inner each of the picture window and the garage door.

It's a cut and paste so its not perfect but this is the idea.

vandhna thanked palimpsest
  • 12 days ago

This is what it does. It makes visual sense because it makes the house a two bay cape with a single bay addition and in the 18th and 19th century, this is frequently how houses were added onto. The bays weren't symmetrical but they had a balance and rhythm:

vandhna thanked palimpsest