Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What is the oldest piece of furniture in your house?

Emily H
10 years ago
Do you have your great-aunt's old sideboard? A chair from a parent's home? Sometimes our most treasured pieces are the ones that are passed down to us.

What is the oldest piece of furniture in your house? Tell us: Where did it come from and how do you make it work in your home? (Photos please!)

King West Bachelor Suite · More Info

Comments (57)

• moongirl73
    10 years ago
    The oldest furniture I own is in my bedroom. It is an old Scottish armoire dating back to 1889. While in Northern California for the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1974 or 75, I came across this piece in a Carmel Antique Shop. I fell in love with it through the window and my boyfriend had it sent to me after returning home.
    Emily H thanked moongirl73
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Our dining room table with grand old carved legs belonged to my mother. We were together many years ago when she purchased it at an antique show. Guessing it might be 1920's. I love mixing the new with the old, so when the old press backed chairs eventually broke and fell apart, I replaced them with leather Parson's chairs. Once all the family is assembled around that old table, we raise a glass to mom. who is now gone. It has great sentimental value for the family and I am honored to have it in my dining room.
    Emily H thanked rosecottagehome
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Oops, got caught up in the emotions that mom's table conjured up and forgot to attach the picture.
    Emily H thanked rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The oldest item in our home is a 16th century Brussels Tapestry of a Wedding ceremony that my parents bought at Sotheby's New York in the 1960s. I have it hung in our family room at the far end which makes for a great vista when entering the room. Photo not availalbe right now but will try to get one. We are in the middle of a renovation and so things are jumbled up a bit.
    Emily H thanked Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    The oldest thing in my house is our red wardrobe. I'm not entirely sure how old it is. It was purchased second hand by my great-grandparents when they moved to Canada around the turn of the century. It was the wardrobe my grandmother used as a child and she painted it, what was then called "Chinese red lacquer." It is made of 100% old growth western red cedar back in the day when there was nothing but old growth western red cedar. Later my mother used it as her wardrobe as a child. Much later still, it was the wardrobe in my bedroom as a young girl. As a side note, my mother and I grew up in the same house as her father, which was a house built before built-in cupboards were expected in every bedroom. Now that wardrobe is in my son's room, where the closet is less than useless.
    Emily H thanked Anne
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    my home is probably older than the things I have in it, although I do have a few antiques. I wouldn't want antique furniture to sit on though--too uncomfortable :) Also, would not be using a hammerstone/maul as a doorstop.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    For just a smile, I am getting to be one of the older things in my home. I am of that mid-century sideboard time which Emily posted.
    Emily H thanked JudyG Designs
  • stephmal
    10 years ago
    This bed is from the late 1800s. My great grandma was born in it in 1892. It still has the original iron spring foundation (but many new mattresses over the years, of course).
    Emily H thanked stephmal
  • bbarick
    10 years ago
    mousemaker...I'm curious as to what you would do with a hammer stone?
  • kro9o
    10 years ago
    I am a modernist. But this rocker from my grandmother's home in Pittsburgh was very meaningful. I decided to compliment it with a wall decor idea and I think it adds a lot of character to my contemporary dining room.
    Emily H thanked kro9o
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    When you've escaped a bad marriage and then a whole house total loss fire, there isn't much left. However, my parents lived with my grandparents when they were first married. I now am the proud "temporary" owner of the bed where both my sister and I were conceived. My Mom would say as she batted her eyelashes and wistfully looked upwards, "Ah!..I remember it well", she exclaimed..."it was a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon in January!" ("It" turned out to be me 9 months later) My Mom was a hoot and she could sure make me smile. That's why she told the stories the way she did, just to see me smile. Perhaps that's a bit TMI for some folks but it does make it more than special. The bedroom set is probably late 1940s or early 50s, very plain fronts, no hardware, the edges are smooth and curved to form clean fluid lines. I believe it may be maple. It's a double bed, a vanity with mirror, one nightstand and a chest of drawers. It is my intention to return it to the home as my grandparents had it. I "rescued" it from humid, hot storage when my Dad inherited the house and put other (ugly) furniture he liked in there. So, I have enjoyed it and used it in the spare bedroom of my mid-century (not so modern) home. I would love to see it back in the house where my Grandparents had it and that is my plan to do. I still think of how young my parents were, just starting out and living with "Mom and Dad" til they saved up enough to build their first little 2 bed/1bath house. Some traditions born of necessity still live on and sure sound like I've heard of that before! So, I am proud of that little, modest bedroom set. It reminds me of visits to Pa and Grandma's and the life and times in that home. Yes, it makes me smile.
    Emily H thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    It's a cherry drop leaf table, just big enough for 4 people, made from a single plank. It was made by hand on the family farm in 1703 by my great great...grandfather. My grandfather remembered his grandmother using it in the kitchen for sausage making. You can see the holes where the grinder would be attached. I rescued it from the barn in the early 1980s, refinished it, and have been using it ever since. Photo on the way.
    Emily H thanked Victoria
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    10 years ago
    I collect Wedgwood jasperware, and some of the pieces are 18th century, but that doesn't count as furniture. You guys will probably laugh, but the oldest furniture I own are the yellow metal folding chairs that I bought at the very first IKEA store in the USA in 1985 when I graduated from college in Philadelphia & needed to furnish my first apartment.
    Emily H thanked Lynne Mysliwiec
  • PRO
    IG Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Oldest piece of furniture is a New Deal "singer" sewing machine fully intact, almost mint condition and works great.
    Emily H thanked IG Fine Art
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    I forgot the high chair made by my son's great-great-great grandfather, and the cribbage board by mine of as many greats.
    Emily H thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 years ago
    Attached is the photo of a tea cart that was made by my grandfather in approximately 1900. He would go to the firehouse to use the equipment that the firemen had there. He made much of the furniture for their house and even installed beams in the ceiling. He made a lamp and grandma added the silk for the shades. Unfortunately, the tea cart is the only piece that remains. Although my furniture is mid-century Scandinavian, this piece blends well.

The other image is of a platform rocker that Mother bought from a neighbor for $0.50 in the 1930s. She made the cushions and embroidered them.
  • Ann Taylor
    10 years ago
    I guess the oldest piece in my house is this antique hutch which my father had. It had layers and layers of white paint . I painted it black and put it in my daughter's room for storage. It even has the pull out bread making board.
    Emily H thanked Ann Taylor
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I too have a family heirloom upright piano - it was the wedding gift from her parents to my Great Great Grandmother in the 1890's. I knew her daughter as my great grandmother, she made me fried chicken to die for when I was a child. It has a Netzow mark, and a solid brass harp. The original ivory keys I remember being worn when I played as a kid were replaced (stolen, really) when my grandmother took it for repair. My mom had the wood refinished along the way, then later sent it to me when she downsized. I love the sound of music in my home when it is played, and still aspire to be that hostess that has christmas carol sing-along parties . . .
    Emily H thanked libradesigneye
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I sleep in my great grandmother's iron bed.
    Emily H thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I have my Grandmother's fancy iron bed (AKA; fertility bed- she gave birth to 12 children in it)- it is in our guest suite. We also have her iron & wicker tea cart and a very old Stickley buffet in our dining room. I love mixing vintage with other pieces.
    Emily H thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    My favorite antique is my grandfather clock. It's from Delaware circa 1790. In the foreground is a Baltimore sofa from the same period. No...I don't have kids :)
    Emily H thanked dclostboy
  • PRO
    Nest Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Thank you for using my image. I really appreciate it!
  • Alison Inge
    10 years ago
    I've pieces that came from my grandfather's (great?) aunt and uncle? Or just his aunt and uncle... Not sure but that could be my great great great or great great.... There are 4 pieces but right now here are two... The dining room table is covered and the armoire is upstairs... Excuse the mess lol as you can tell I was outside earlier picking raspberries. The last of the season! See the crocs? Lol anyways enjoy! Oh and check out my awesome Kate Spade set... Love it! Mix of old and new china :)
    Emily H thanked Alison Inge
  • Ruth Galloway
    10 years ago
    I have a Grandfather Clock too, inherited from my Great Great Great Great Grandfather who bought it new from Edinburgh, Scotland in 1795. I recently had some restoration work done and now it chimes again. Just as precious are the funny poems, original receipt and family history that are pinned inside. I adore it, and feel very lucky that I get to be the caretaker for a while!
    Emily H thanked Ruth Galloway
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    The oldest piece of furniture in our home is a campaign chest that came down in my husband's family over the years. It was made in the 1800's, is in two pieces with handles to carry them on each end. The British used them in India. My husband's great grandfather was a Canadian Missionary in India until 1928. I had to crop the photo because it is piled with his "stuff". :)
    Emily H thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    My great grandmother's cedar hope chest is the oldest piece of furniture that we have in our home -- I think. My grandmother who is 85, doesn't ever remember NOT having this piece in her house. I estimate it to be between 90 and 100 years old.

My dining room set is also old. My mother bought it at an antique store about 25 years ago. It has a stamp on the inside that says Landstrom Furniture. From my research it's probably from the 1930s - so it's probably about 80 years old and it's still in great shape!
    Emily H thanked shakerjaebs
  • tnelson1984
    10 years ago
    A fire place mantel that was in my mom's bedroom in the house she grew up in which also happens to be the house her dad was born in. In November he would have been 105! I am going to remove the lead paint, redo it and make it the headboard for our bed! I didn't want to attach it to a wall and not be able to take it with me. I also have a door from there and a window that was inserted above a door. I'll post pics later!
    Emily H thanked tnelson1984
  • Oliver Rees
    10 years ago
    We have this huge old marble fire surround in one of our reception rooms! It's one of 3 original fireplaces that is left in the house and is certainly the grandest! I think it dates from around 1830 - excuse the mess :)
    Emily H thanked Oliver Rees
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    I have a stone-age axe head that my grandfather plowed up in Sweden. I use it as a candle holder, which was not my idea, but that of my great-aunt, who gave it to me when I visited Sweden. She apologized and got the wax off, but it was such a good idea, I do it, too.

I also have stones I picked up in Haiti. They are either pre-Columbian or made-for-the-tourist market. I could never guess which. There were so few tourists and they cost $5, which was less than other stuff that had to be easier to make, so I thought they might be real. One day I'll take this stuff to Antiques Roadshow.
    Emily H thanked Sigrid
  • Akram Hamad
    10 years ago
    I have these two hand made wool carpets, one of them has a "double face" which we use as a space devider. These were hand woven around 1960
    Emily H thanked Akram Hamad
  • Akram Hamad
    10 years ago
    These are the carpets
    10 years ago
    My mother's mahogany sideboard, about 70 years old. She painted it antique-style in the 70's. I use it for storage in my family room.
    Emily H thanked 3144123456
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    So great to see all of these family heirlooms! It's amazing to see furniture with such colorful stories and histories.
    Emily H thanked User
  • betty71
    10 years ago
    I would have to say my Empire dresser from craigslist for $250! I just adore it. I know it came from an estate sale in a historic home in the St. James court area of Louisville, Ky.

Excuse the messy bed lol I haven't been up long enough to make it.
    Emily H thanked betty71
  • jpand3
    10 years ago
    I have a few old items in my house.. this bed is in a guest room.. it's what used to be known as a 3/4 bed but when it was built.. it was a full size. From what I understand.. my husbands grand-parents owned it from his parents. Supposedly from "spanish" descent. The great grand father was a ship merchant.
    Emily H thanked jpand3
  • lwaylett
    10 years ago
    I think maybe these items are the oldest, but we haven't had much luck in finding out information about them. The beadwork pieces are heavy and mostly clay beads were used. Quilt work appears to be very aged around the borders. The rug appears to have been made on a hand loom, but has handmade/sewn frays at intervals around the rug. If it isn't these pieces, then it is my grandfather's old roll top desk from his lawyers office. It will always have a place in my home!
    Emily H thanked lwaylett
  • PRO
    Novus Designs
    10 years ago
    An old wardrobe.....
    Emily H thanked Novus Designs
  • PRO
    Novus Designs
    10 years ago
    Sideboard......
  • PRO
    Novus Designs
    10 years ago
    Vintage dresser.....was my grandfathers.
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    I have a chair that was my grandmother's. As far as age, all I know for sure is she used to say she started her married life with it, and would keep it till the end. She did. I also have a brass tray table she bought in the middle east in the early 50's, and I was old when she bought it. They sit together in my office, and the chair is on it's 4th or 5th upholstery job, Plus it had at least one slipcover. Reposting with a picture now!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago
    I have a pair of craftsman style cube chairs that I estimate to be made in 1908, give or take eight years.
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago
    Oldest piece of furniture currently is a beautiful old buffet that was given to me by my sister when she no longer had room for it. It was given to her by her friend- it was her friends grandmothers. Not sure of the age....thinking early 1900's? I would take a picture but it is piled high with junk right now.....yes it is a "junk" collector both inside and on the top. It is in my home office...no other place for it to go in the house.
  • Kat Cheng
    9 years ago
    A Renaissance-era carved Italian cassone (a wedding/marriage chest). We use it for storage, lol.
  • gtcircus
    9 years ago
    My oldest family piece is my great grandmother's dresser. The oldest item in my house not handed down is a tapestry;
  • Sally Pascale
    9 years ago

An 18th century grandfather clock that belonged to my parents.

• marilynellis
    9 years ago
    A 1904 wall hand crank telephone with pull down mouthpiece. My grandmother was the county telephone operator and I actually remember her working at her station in her ranch kitchen. It ended up sitting in a barn for 50+ years. Then I inherited it and evicted the hornets inside, cleaned and polished and oiled the walnut wood. Now it hangs in my kitchen. It still rings when you wind the crank. Very precious to me.
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Youth chair made in about 1890. It was purchased for my mother in about 1938. She used it, then her sister's 5 kids, then my brother and I, then his daughter, and lastly my two girls. It is a permanent cherished resident of my dining room.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago

A grandfather clock was presented to an ancestor in 1879 when he retired from the Queen's Hotel, Toronto - where the Royal York Hotel now stands. It's been a bit of a nemesis as every house we owned had to have a suitably large place for it to stand in all its glory! One of our sons knows it's going to him eventually and I'm not so sure he's that thrilled!

• Kat Cheng
    9 years ago
    A 16th century cassone. We have a very contemporary house, and yet we love blending beautiful old pieces within a modern setting.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I have a Norwegian trunk with rosemaling painting from 1845 which is handed down each generation from mother to eldest daughter