Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nessievjk

Dining room buffet

nessievjk
10 years ago
What is missing? Please help. It just doesn't look pulled together.

Comments (68)

• nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will try raising the clock tomorrow.
  • phl1353
    10 years ago
    What about switching the mirror and the clock around?
  • phl1353
    10 years ago
    I would also leave the lamps and the owl and take the other things away
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Being fussy here, but the lamps do not look the same distance from the mirror? I would try removing the love sign and the two small Halloween items.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    This last pic is fine, I would lose the "Love" thing...put it in your Master bedroom...?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Remove everything but the lamps. Add a live green plant. It all looks too "arranged". The items are too much alike to be interesting.
  • PRO
    Spectacular Interiors
    10 years ago
    A large horizontal mirror in the back would be great. Also, you don't have to have everything symmetrical, mix the shapes up, a tall glass vase with willow branches, reflective items too.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    If you don't have anything of nicer quality in the size your looking for, remove all but the owl and lamps. Don't center the owl.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    That space really calls for some taller buffet lamps.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    I think your unique recessed wall would look better and be set off with a large rectangular mirror, with an interesting carved black frame, with a touch of some brass/gold in the frame, hung vertically. That will make a statement and demand to be noticed. I like your clock, possibly relocate it to another wall. Home Goods in US or Home Sense in Canada have large interesting mirrors at fairly good prices. If you decide to buy a mirror and keep it, then you can decide about the scale of your current buffet lamps. Just a thought.
  • ljfq
    10 years ago
    I agree there were too many objects all the same height. Mix in some wider and/or shorter objects and make sure at least one is in some shade of your accent blue/green color?
  • mountie
    10 years ago
    I have to comment on your drapes. They are totally the wrong color and are too casual for the space. Do not use white in this space. Everything in the room is beige and dark brown. You need to get drapes with a bold pattern in a bright jewel tone to bring in some color and interest. Use the same or a complementary color for art work and decorative items. No more brown!
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Gold Rectangle Wall Mirror · More Info
    Something like this would not be too expensive at the stores mentioned above.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    There is not enough contrasting texture and sheen. The clock, the lamps and accessories, other than the glass jar, are all pretty dull in tone. Add sheen and texture! I suggest removing everything and start afresh with a sparkly mirror such as a sunburst mirror, table lamps with a colored porcelain or metallic or clear glass or mirrored base and a pot of phalaenopsis orchids in a small gold or silver pot.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Agree with others about the drapery (could, however, see pulling that beautiful rich shade of peacock blue and sage greens out of there, into a striped or solid silk panel). On the buffet, did you try substituting that rectangular mirror into your inset on buffet and move the clock? If you turn the mirror long ways, and got some taller buffet lamps in one of your desired colors on either side, with a live plant...and then added your peacock blues and greens into your centerpiece arrangement with glossy balls from a Home Goods type store...then I think you would have those blues and greens incorporated into at least 3 places around the room (draperies, lamps and table top). Some examples below just for the color and height; price may be out of sight! But will give you some ideas? HTH.
  • John Phillips
    10 years ago
    My jaw dropped when I saw the pic. I'll be watching this thread closely. I have almost the same setting and have been considering adding some color in the same buffet nook.
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    nessievjk- why not add a table runner in greens or blues to your dining table;)
    Dark Green Fretwork on White Linen Runner · More Info
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    OMG I can't get over the resemblance jpthird! You will have great fun watching this post.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    What about painting or wallpapering just the nook in your chosen accent color?
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    More table runners from Etsy...if you added coordinating candle(s) this would help the centerpiece bowl pop.
  • nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jpthird - very similar! And the lamps are exact! I have done some tweaks and will update later with pics! Maybe start a new thread?
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    The lamps ARE the same...wow! Nessievjk, do you have items from other parts of the house in your preferred blues and greens to try in the space?
  • scootoo1
    10 years ago
    Seeing the full picture of your room, I really think you only need to raise the wall clock up so the bottom is even with the painting on the wall alongside. It will draw the eye up increasing the feeling of height. If you don't want to raise the clock switch out the metal art on the other wall with the clock and it will give a lighter feeling.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    You could Rey putting the two candles next to each other and the one nearest the edge put a couple of books underneath so the candle holders are at different heights. Then place the glass container on the other side of the table. Start there. And remove the owl and cage. Try this. In original post there is all mish mash of things...sorry. Just no cohesiveness.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I really like your buffet and your dining room furniture. I think you might have too many styles going on in the room. Your draperies are too modern to go with the clock and lamps. The white things on your buffet scream "cottage". That said, I think your clock and your lamps go well with your dining room set. I think you need to remove the white things on the buffet and bring in a plant in a stone kind of vase that has enough weight so that it does not look skimpy. As far as the draperies go, I think you can bring in the colors you want, but stick to a style that is not so modern--maybe a heavier textured drapery with a taupe background with some aqua or green running through it. Good luck. You'll get it right, I'm sure.
  • nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I changed out the curtains. Had these in another room. And brought back in the bird cage. I live the whimsy feel if it. Brought in the blue owl that I picked up today and added a plant from another room.
  • nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe loose the birdcage altogether? But then it just looks so empty. Thoughts?
  • nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Positioned the owl differently.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    If you like it then keep it the way it is. Not sure if you want input but the styles are all different. If you want the cage there then the candle holders don't work with it...but if you like it that way, then it is your home to enjoy. The blue owl does not go with any theme at all...sorry. The plant is way too small.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    It is empty. You need the right thing, not just anything.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Always good to go shopping through your own house! I like these new curtains in here way better than the white ones, what do you think? And now the candle is blue, and the owl, too.:)
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    nessievjk- what else do you have around the house? Why don't you go shopping in your house and bring out a bunch of things and put them on display and post them. We may be able to come up with the right combination yet. Are you interested?
  • John Phillips
    10 years ago
    nessievjk - love the new curtains! when I'm ready to really start to work, I'll start a new thread. I'm enjoying following this though--just couldn't believe how similar our set ups were.
  • nancyann0277a
    10 years ago
    Table runners are for tables, not buffets. It looks good itch out one.
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    nancyann- the table runners suggested were for the dining table, NOT the buffet, you need to read the whole thread sometimes;)
  • nessievjk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jpthird - I meant should I start a new one with the tweaks I made. I can't believe the similarities too!
  • silk789
    10 years ago
    I do suggest a runner for the buffet. The display needs some fabric texture to pull it together,it could tie all the colours in too.
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    Sorry Silk, Table trumps buffet ;)
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Why would you start a new post? Stay here unless you are changing direction what you are asking for. Are you changing what you want input on?
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    You see how jpthirds looks better because she added a floral. You have all cold items, nothing soft to break up the look.
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
  • Joyce Fenner
    10 years ago
    I like the clock & lamps. I would leave them placed as they were when you started. I think the white is too much of a shock. Try some golds, tans, parchment. Soften things up with a scarf or runner. Remember odd numbers are better than even.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Nessievjk, as I said on your other post about the same thing, switch the clock with the decorative metal piece. The one pic you posted with the owl in the middle on a book looked cute! :))
  • heather4477
    10 years ago
    I like it with the bird cage maybe your artwork could bring the pops of color. It might help to try diagonal lines. So when you look at the mirror, lamps, and an item at a lower height than the lamps you create a diamond. Which was great too. I think the original problem was that they were all about the same weight and height Aim to create triangles out of height. Whether it is inverted or right side up triangles.
  • heather4477
    10 years ago
    the owl escaped...
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    When I work on a vignette or display, I check myself by saying this silly poem:
    Tall-short
    Skinny-fat
    Shiny-matte
    It helps create an interesting display if they are all represented.
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    If you like the birdcage, consider spray painting it dark metallic gold or bronze...Or even black. For me, it was the stark white color of it that didn't work, not the fact that it was a birdcage. I agree with others that the plant is too small, but consider getting one that could fit into the birdcage (newly painted) ;-) and perhaps spill out of it a bit. The owl is a bit too cutesy to stand with your other pieces. If you shop your house for other objects remember those could be painted too. I know you'd like to introduce some blue... Craft paint and/or spray paint are inexpensive. I paint things all the time to reinvent things in the house. Good luck.
  • missscotland
    10 years ago
    I would go bigger with everything. The mirror is a good idea but could be much larger with a antiqued silver frame. Also a mirror behind the dresser would reflect light from the lamps. Much larger lamps and maybe a collection of things on the dresser in the same color but of various shapes and sizes. If you like the bird cage then work with it. A nice big white bowl with an orchid or large a fern would look great and a white bird statue. Group them together not spread out. Glass is always good in a dining room as it reflects light especially if you are using candles. Something big and bold on the dining table and candles are a must. Hunt for things in junk shops and thrift shops I've found some great stuff there. Hope this gives you food for thought.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Good idea to paint the birdcage and it does not need to conform to a certain standard but you have a good eye. When you said it was blah, it was blah. There are decorating standards that create symmetry, unification and good balance. The birdcage is more whimsical. The dark brown wood mirror and lamps are a whole other look. But again, you live with what you like. Curious and not meant to offend but .are you a designer Heather? I just done see how the birdcage fits and am wondering if a designer agrees with your suggestion Heather as other designers on this site suggested differently. curious how the birdcage applies to the standard Regina gave as the right suggestion...tall, short, skinny, fat, shiny, matte. That is the rule that gives balance pleasing to the eye IMHO.