Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briandingman

DIY glass garage doors for $500

Brian Dingman
10 years ago
I took existing doors, removed the panels. Had glass panels cut to fit, used a frosted laminate from Home Depot, and then a new coat of paint. Total cost was about $500! New glass doors were quoted at $9,500!

Comments (54)

• brickln
    10 years ago
    Way to go- they look fantastic!
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Cleverly done and they sure look expensive!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Now that is excellent out of the box (or in the box, in this case) thinking! Well done!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi briandingman, very well done ! Great savings ! Does the new glass change the heat retention of the garage ? That is, at night or during cold weather/seasons, is the new garage cooler than before the remodel ?
  • Brian Dingman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. Ed, I live in California with very mild climate. So cold isn't an issue. Although, I would think in other glass garage doors the use single pain as well. Do I would think it wouldn't be much different. One HUGE advantage is there is only a small window for natural light. Now that I have these, the garage is lit up and no longer need the light switch and we still have the privacy! Plus, they look amazing at night. Its a great curb appeal upgrade. Oh and the weight of he glass was the same as the wood panels so I didn't even have to adjust my springs.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    10 years ago
    Very we'll done! I love the new look! I wish I could do the same:)
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi briandingman, California here, too ! :) Congrats, again.
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    10 years ago
    What a great idea and it came out great...it looks terrific!
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    Nicely done, what a great idea. I will keep it in mind for next projects to come. Thank you for the post.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Wow, great job!!! These look amazing!
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Perhaps the beginning of a cottage industry? Nice work!
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Kustom Home Design
    10 years ago
    Very creative and economical! I love it when a good idea comes together.
  • Rick
    10 years ago
    This is great! Do you have insulation behind the glass panels?
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Beautiful! Looks like an adorable updated mid-century modern home :)
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I'm so glad someone bumped this up- one of my favorite budget improvements. Bookmark!
  • Brian Dingman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rick- no insulation. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and no real need for it. Plus, I like the look at night with the lights on in the garage.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    How did you install glass panels. Were they heavy?
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    9 years ago
    Great Job! Want to come do mine :)
  • Jennifer
    9 years ago
    Very clever, I love that the lower the budget the more creative we get!
  • Korey Constable
    9 years ago
    What kind of garage doors are these? I'm building a garage and would like to know more about this awesome DIY. The doors look great!
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Aren't there building regulations that dictate what kind of glass can be put in a garage door?
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 years ago
    Nice
    Brian Dingman thanked DSC DesignWorks
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 years ago
    Very creative and looks like you had them done for $9,500! :) Great job
    Brian Dingman thanked Cast Glass Images Inc.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Very creative, good work!
    Brian Dingman thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Brian Dingman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Korey... they were the original wood doors when the house was built in 1959. I removed the wood panels and replaced with glass and a frosted mylar on the back. btw, I like your rainbow themed cover photo. :)
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    9 years ago
    Nicely done and saved $9,000 as well. Thumbs up!
  • roywagner01
    7 years ago

Hi! Briandingman, I wondered if you could help me sort out some of the particulars. I have a steel garage door in an existing home we just bought. The original owner placed a cat door in the bottom panel. I plan on moving the bottom panel to the top and put in windows. I haven't been able to find anything available online. I am a DIY and not afraid of cutting and chopping :). I am trying to sort out a few things regarding how you went about the doing this. Do you believe I could do this on a steel door? I would assume you may have routed around the window area to recess the window. Any close up or detailed pictures or additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Roy

• PRO
    The Joshua Tree Vanities
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Back to ...the Future! :)

• Architectural Notice
    7 years ago

Very creative.

They look nice.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Well done, they look great !

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

Wow. Nice!

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    7 years ago

Great idea. :)

• designassassin
    7 years ago
    $9500?! Pfft! This is a great solution.

Also, in case anyone else does this, you can get a frosted vinyl over clear windows to get this effect. A sign shop would be able do the vinyl part.
    Brian Dingman thanked designassassin
  • PRO
    The Iron Studio
    7 years ago

Love how you gave something so boring as the old doors a visual interest for only $500. Great job and what a creative mind. Helps that you're handy. Can't wait to see your next project.

Brian Dingman thanked The Iron Studio
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    7 years ago

Very impressive, you did amazing work!

Brian Dingman thanked Laqfoil Ltd.
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    7 years ago

Great update!!

• Brian Dingman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

KaPing- I actually broke one panel recently with a rock and a weed trimmer. Doh! The mylar still has it together until I replace it.Plexiglass might be better. I choose glass for the over look. I looked at several opaque types and didn't like them The glass just had a richer look.

• Parag Babar
    7 years ago
    this is so good. I am being quoted $5900 for doors. I will do the thing you did. Good job
    Brian Dingman thanked Parag Babar
  • Josef
    6 years ago
    Hey Brian. Really beautiful result. I'm building a new modern / industrial loft in TJ and this would be great. May I ask, what brand is the garage door you modified with the glass?
    Brian Dingman thanked Josef
  • User
    6 years ago

Very Very smart update. This is what happens when a person actually uses at least 1% of their brain. Not just find out what the latest trend is and does it. Which is like 99% of people on this site.

Brian Dingman thanked User
  • PRO
    Architecture Plus Inc
    6 years ago

Very cool!

Brian Dingman thanked Architecture Plus Inc
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

Looks great!!

Brian Dingman thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    6 years ago

Looks great!

Brian Dingman thanked Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • Brian Dingman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

josef- I have no idea. they are the original 1959 doors

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

This is very cool! Love how you saved so much money and simply re-purposed your door instead of buying a new one. A much greener option! It looks great you could of said you completely replaced the door and I'd believed it! I could see how it would look awesome with light coming through it at night.

• Robby Glasco
    3 years ago

Looks superb. Do you have a photo of how the glass is connected?

• bagofchips
    5 months ago

Beggars can’t be choosers so no offense to OP but i wish more info on the how was available here. i know this is an old thread (also no offense to OP 😀). Was glass glass or polycarbonate? What’s the laminate (not seeing anything at today’s Home Depot). Would love to know about the deconstruction of the panels (probably like trying to put new inserts in exising old cabinet doors?) and of course not every wooden garage door is alike.

There are no other project show&tells that i can find, so that doubles my lament!

Maybe there are a bunch of showstoppers and impracticalities and that’s why there are no other examples out there.