Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_correia

Should I wallpaper or paint back of built in bookcases?

Caroline Correia
10 years ago
Like the tranquility of my living room but wondering if I should do something on back of built ins... thoughts?

Comments (38)

• Mark
    10 years ago
    I really like it just the way it is right now. I think all your collections stand out and compliment your color scheme so beautifully.
    Caroline Correia thanked Mark
  • indigosignature
    10 years ago
    Love it the way it is. Great job! Where did you get your sofa and chairs? I'm looking for some just like those.
    Caroline Correia thanked indigosignature
  • Caroline Correia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The furniture is all from Ethan Allen. The couch and rattan chair are about 10 years old. The matching chairs are available now - Emerson Chairs.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Your room is very nice and also could use just a little something more. Painting the backs of the built-ins a color like burnt orange would look stunning.
    Caroline Correia thanked qam999
  • kccasebolt
    10 years ago
    I 2nd the poster board. Then you can easily change it out! Lovely room.
    Caroline Correia thanked kccasebolt
  • PRO
    Jennifer Scully Designs
    10 years ago
    Try Tempaper. Temporary wallpaper that you can peel off with no damage. Contact me if you need discounted pricing.
    http://tempaperdesigns.com/
    My site: www.discountdesignerfurnishings.com
    Caroline Correia thanked Jennifer Scully Designs
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    I was going to make a similar suggestion to bowdavis's - except using wrapping paper!

How do you like your skinny French doors, if you don't mind me asking? I can't decide to go with two wide French doors, or three skinny ones (one would be fixed) between the kitchen and the hall for our reno.
    Caroline Correia thanked bubblyjock
  • Caroline Correia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @bubblyjock - I love my French doors. They're original to the home. The large door openings make the rooms feel larger. My house is a 1920s brick Georgian. On the other side of the doors is our family room. We can close the doors for privacy in either room.
  • Caroline Correia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Second set of French doors. They flank the fireplace. Lighting not great in this shot.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    LOVE Soberg's idea of painting the backs a burnt orange color ... would look stunning with a cowhide rug in same color tone.
    Caroline Correia thanked indianpatti
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback, Caroline!
  • PRO
    mturkmani
    10 years ago
    I think painting the back of the bookcases will add drama and depth to the room , and will showcase your pieces better ,the room is neutral enough that itt can take a rich color
    Caroline Correia thanked mturkmani
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of painting the back of the bookcases if you want a punch of color. Temporary wallpaper is also a good idea. My first thought was to use grasscloth in a more neutral tone. It would add great texture and blend with the rest of your room - makes a statement without interrupting the feeling of your space.
    Caroline Correia thanked Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • Jacqueline Arica
    10 years ago
    What a lovely home. We have a 1950's Georgian in Chicago, but glass block windows flank the fireplace. Sooo wish they were french doors! The only thing that could improve this room is a slight pop of color, but burnt orange is already in your collectibles, and you've done a great job composing them. Maybe pulling it into some pillows with a touch of blue?
    Caroline Correia thanked Jacqueline Arica
  • sstanek
    10 years ago
    Beautiful room:-). Actually, I would just change the area rug to something with some pattern or color.
    Caroline Correia thanked sstanek
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    You can actually either paint or wallpaper cardboard cut to the size of the bookcase backs, then if you want to change, it's a very easy switch.
    Caroline Correia thanked sbrustein
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    Sorry bowdavis- I didn't look at your comment before I made mine. My mother was an interior designer and that was her thing.
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    This is the back of my bookcases on either side of fireplace in LR. Happens to be a brick color.
  • PRO
    Jennifer Scully Designs
    10 years ago
    Please don't paint your bookcases burnt orange. Your chair is a burgundy tone. A silvery gray color would be pretty. I would also add fun throw pillows to your off-white chairs.
  • PRO
    Jennifer Scully Designs
    10 years ago
    A pattern is necessary somewhere. Removable wallpaper on the backs of your cases and pillows on your off-white chairs would be just enough pattern to spice up your already lovely room and pull it together. http://www.tempaperdesigns.com
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    Very sophisticated and timeless room. Nice! Problem is - I can't see how you can improve this room much more. It's already fab. So I would say, make changes to the back of display only if you crave for some change and choose the less permanent options, as suggested by other Houzzers above.
    Caroline Correia thanked bellesum
  • Caroline Correia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Everything has a subtle pattern.
  • PRO
    Jennifer Scully Designs
    10 years ago
    Caroline, your room is so beautiful. I would add a little color. Maybe a soft blue/gray. Even blue hydrangeas on your table or something with a little color to add some more interest.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I love this room just the way it is. I am hoping once you took pics and truly looked at them, which sometimes help more than just standing in the room, you can realize how nice and calm and peaceful and just plain beautiful this room is.
    Caroline Correia thanked abbyjean
  • Caroline Correia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am always reassessing my layouts, collections, etc. Thanks so much for all the feedback and comments!!!
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I just saw a really amazing thing at Home Depot. It's a sticky type paper that is in the paint department that you can cut to size for the space in the back of bookshelves. You paint this paper, stick it in your shelves and if you don't like it, you can remove it without disturbing the original paint. I have not tried it myself, but the saleslady said it works. The paper was not very expensive either. Who knew?????
    Caroline Correia thanked janeinfo
  • PRO
    The Green Room Interiors
    8 years ago

Grass cloth would be textural and subtle. I have used it in on the backs of bookcases and looks wonderful!

• km kane
    8 years ago
    I think,they need more sheafs with BOOKS!
  • km kane
    8 years ago
    *shelves
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    6 years ago

Paint or paper in a color or pattern of your choice. I prefer paper myself. Italian marbleized paper as you might find inside an old book cover would be very appropriate and compiment any color.

• suedonim75
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@ Mint Design-You really need to look at the dates of the threads you are bumping, they are all old.

• kmkane123
    6 years ago
    Suedonim75. It doesn’t matter how old the thread is - people still have built ins and the question is timeless. New answers can help the rest of us who may have this dilemma
  • suedonim75
    6 years ago

Mint has posted giving advice directly to the OP on several really old threads. Some people don't notice the dates on threads especially when they show up in the column on the right side of the screen.

• cmalbert
    6 years ago

I'm curious. What is the best product to adhere grass cloth to for the shelves (foam core, poster board, cardboard?) and what do you use for an adhesive besides wallpaper paste? Do you wrap the edges? Love this idea!

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Mirror would be really pretty and add sparkle.

• conrad503
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@suedonim75 Hum, interesting how this "too old to warrant comment thread" seems to keep reviving itself with comments...

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Lol, last comment was 2 years ago, but ok, yup its reviving itself.