Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adri1214

Window treatments for front facing windows-casement windows

I recently had all windows replaced in my house. My dilemma is the front-facing windows. There are 4 casements (2 doubles)
I currently have the good ole vertical blinds which look neat but way outdated, as well as these custom made valances and ascots.
The dilemma I have is there is no inside framing to hang horizontals. We are talking about 112" wide.
I,d like to change over to deeper coloring ( earth tones, burgundies, siennas and golds ). I have hardwood floors.

Please give me your advice with photos.
Thanks very much.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    If you want a modern feel consider a ripple fold style drapery which could hang from the ceiling or 4" above the window frame. Like sheers they cover the entire wall of windows.
  • PRO
    DeCocco Drapes
    10 years ago
    A more updated type of valance would look great in your beautiful new windows! I've attached a photo that shows a valance with accent fabric peeking out from a pleat with a stationary roman shade also shown. Place some micro piping at the top of any valance to bring the eye up to the top and hang the treatments high.
  • joelcoqui
    10 years ago
    I like the valances too. Another idea is to put a one full sillohette shade across the whole front. And then put some panels draped on either side.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    Do not know what your furniture style is, but what about matchstick blinds and stationary panels on the side. Love your windows. https://www.houzz.com/photos/1512-dolphin-terrace-beach-style-bedroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~235528
  • gates44
    10 years ago
    What if you went with a floor to ceiling drapery that you could close up for privacy and open up to show let the sun in and enjoy that beautiful window! This way you could go with the colours that you wanted to!
  • della70
    10 years ago
    Focus on attractive designer rods to hang the drapery from as gates44 suggested. You don't need to have any inside framing for this treatment. Take everything down and have a good look first. I'd also match fabric to the wall color, but using texture.
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago
    I agree with the full length draperies idea and a fabulous rod. It will look updated and warm.
    Adrianna Berlingerio thanked Curtain Call
  • PRO
    Windo VanGo
    9 years ago
    Find window coverings like this at Windo VanGo. We serve the Baltimore, MD area and are an exclusive Hunter Douglas dealer. Learn more at WindoVanGo.com.
  • PRO
    ResCom Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Get the punch using a cornice box as shown by DeCocco Drapes. Then add a roller shade, a cellular blind or any other shade that can disappear behind the cornice box when the shade is rolled up. The box will provide the softness, elegance and sophistication while eliminating clutter within the room .
    Adrianna Berlingerio thanked ResCom Designs
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your input.
  • PRO
    Shades IN Place
    9 years ago
    If you still need suggestions, there are some nice roller shade fabrics that early could be motorized to create a sophisticated look. Good luck. For photo ideas, please visit my page on Houzz. I have over 600 photos to inspire you.
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 years ago
    Mounting you valance/rods higher and wider would open up the window/room and make any valance more proportional to the length of the slider. Here are some design solutions for fabric furnishings from ARKfabric.com. Hundreds more on the website and our fabric sample size is very large(10" x 18").
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 years ago
    Some more ideas...
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cordless honeycomb shades would work - drapes would do the trick as well. Good luck, you have a tough choice!

• PRO
    Timm's Window Fashions
    8 years ago
    How much privacy do you want ? Do you want the light coming through ? You have lots possibility's .
  • Adrianna Berlingerio
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My new windows are slight dark tinted and my front window is 10-12 ft from the front sidewalk where people walk. My husband likes to look out the front to always see what's going on without opening up blinds completely. I lot those silhouettes but very costly.

• Jessie Harrison
    7 years ago

I'm no professional, but I think it would like better with drapes that went down to the floor. These windows are just so big you might want something that covers them on the sides. I'd keep the overhead drapes, though, those are really pretty. I'm also getting some casement windows and sooner or later I'm going to have to find something to put on mine. http://www.superiorwindows.com.au/content/Products/CasementWindows.aspx 

• PRO
    Blindsgalore
    7 years ago

To add some color and texture to the room, I would suggest drapes for the window. Drapes are nice because you can get the privacy you want, when you want it, but you can open them up to let some natural light in as well. We have a wide variety of styles and tones to pick from, but if you are looking for an earthy feel, these might be perfect.
    Inspiration: http://www.blindsgalore.com/WindowProduct.asp?id=255375

Inspiration: http://www.blindsgalore.com/WindowProduct.asp?id=714015
    Best of luck,
    Blindsgalore

• PRO
    Budget Blinds of Walworth County
    7 years ago

I would suggest removing the verticals and stick with horizontal blinds or shades. You will be amazed at how open the room will look once those verticals and the valance come down. I would recommend doing one large treatment or three separate. If you did three I would recommend one large in the middle covering the two inside panels and one on each outside panel.

You have crank out windows so it may be nice to do a shutter with a frame so you can have your slats open without hearing the slats clank when your windows are open. That way too your husband can tilt and control the shutters to see whats going on outside. If you did the shutters I would recommend either leaving them without a valance or doing simple side panels to bring in some color. You can also do a window shading versus a silhouette, which will give you the same look but at a less expensive price.

• PRO
    Nursing Scrubs
    7 years ago

Sounds interesting.

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    6 years ago

Hi! A lot of people love our Woven Wood Shades! Here's a photo from a recent collab we did with a blogger (Seeking Lavender Lane):

We also do have some cool new collections featuring some cellular shades that do a great job at insulating and are also available in cordless functionality, safe for children and pets!