Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanvandivier

Other furniture placement ideas for narrow living room?

susanvandivier
10 years ago
My living room is 15 x 22. I have a wall of windows and a large opening from the living room to the kitchen to contend with. This makes figuring out a good furniture placement very difficult. I would like to either center my furniture towards the view(lake), Or towards the fireplace but cannot find a suitable placement for the couch. Can anyone give me some ideas? Susan

Comments (31)

• mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I love how the sunlight streams in your room!! it looks beautiful. I think you have a pretty good arrangement though, unless you would consider moving the couch to face the fireplace and the back would be towards the deck? then you could move the large table where the couch is and put your big leather chair in front of the window.
    susanvandivier thanked mousemaker
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Turn the couch towards the fireplace, turn the rug and coffee table too. I would then move a chair to the right of the fireplace with an ottoman facing into the room. I would remove the large round table out of the room. Use the other side table to the right of the couch once you move it. I would also rework the window treatments. I would use one panel in the middle but lower it with the molding and do the same to the other sides.
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestion. The picture you see here is a short little wall which would be to the right of the leather chair pictured above . So I have that to contend with should I place the couch to face the fireplace. Next to this short wall is the large opening to the kitchen. I have next to no walls in my living room! It's either glass , the fireplace or the archway into my kitchen. Couple that with the room being narrow and I feel like furniture placement is difficult to say the least!
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also , I can't make the placement too tight as my mother lives with me and uses a walker. I understand the size of the oval table to the left of the couch makes things difficult but it is a family heirloom from England and I don't have another place that I can use it unfortunately.
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Do you watch tv in this room?
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Looking at your room again, I would move those two chairs by the arch by the fireplace facing the couch when you move it, making a conversation area. I would move the big table by the window where the two chairs are and use that as a game table if you have children.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I think your solution is to find some lovely chairs you like to go with the English heirloom table. Sell your contemporary dining set with rolling chairs on Craigs List and use the English table there. If you can adjust the shelves in the bookcase to the right of the FP, then put the small TV in the shelves and angle the lounge chair there where the round table is now n for watching. Remove the dark drapery panels and let that wonderful forest/lake view come on in! Turn the sofa to face the FP and position the two striped chairs and table with backs to the kitchen and dining area. In summer you can switch the chair and sofa positions. I'd invest in a larger area rug that would go under about 1/3 of the sofa and that both chairs could sit completely on. Keep the coffee table about 18" from the sofa. Tables and lamps may need to be tweaked a bit once you move things around.
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We Have a small TV in the cabinet to the left of the fireplace. However we never watch it. Only if we want to see the morning news at breakfast. The heirloom table is way too fragile to use as a kitchen table. It is very old and has a tilt top , inlaid wood. This is an older picture as we have draperies that are very similar in color to the walls now. These draperies do not close and only serve to frame out the window and soften it. We enjoy the view very much and for many years did not have drapes but felt that it seemed a bit cold. I have tried positioning the striped chairs in front of the open area that leads to the kitchen but it blocks Passage in and out of the kitchen. Again, my mother lives with us so we have to accommodate her walker. I also have to consider the ability to have lamplight throughout the room for reading etc. I would love to face the couch toward the fireplace and have the striped chairs facing the couch on either side of the fireplace but this leaves the leather recliner at issue and also again lamps if I pull furniture away from walls/plugs.
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I have the same windows in my family room except I have a slider door in the middle and I also have a very big sectional couch that is rounded in the middle so I am able to face the fireplace and and windows. The arrangement works for us because I have two chairs that are under the windows, one with an ottoman. I was suggesting you do the same with your two chairs facing the couch once you move it. I used drapery panels in between the moldings too just to frame out the windows. It might be worth a try.
    susanvandivier thanked tennisanyone
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well I stayed up until 2:00 am moving furniture around . I pulled everything away from the walls to create a more intimate seating arrangement. This allows for my Christmas tree to be put up in the right corner of my wall of windows which I wanted to consider with the Holidays coming on. I have linen drapery panels that are light in color similar to the walls. Just got them and will be putting them up soon. It will be better then the dark drapes. Here is what I have as of this morning.
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I like the new arrangement but would put the front chair legs on the carpet. Have you tried the couch facing the tv with the two chairs facing the couch?
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Here is my family room with the same windows as yours. I used two chairs on either side of the in of the windows, one of them has an ottoman.
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, I have to tell you that I have arranged the furniture five different ways .you could see one of the arrangements in the above post and I am still unsatisfied. So I removed one of the larger end tables and substituted for a narrower table between the two striped chairs but Essentially the room is back to the way it was. Frustration! I did try the couch facing the fireplace but it just cuts off one of the main entry ways into my living room too much. Here is the arrangement as it is currently.
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Last area
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I did try the couch facing the fireplace and two striped chairs facing the couch on either side of fireplace. Unfortunately the couch blocks too much of the entry to the room. My room is 14 ft. 6" in width and 20 ft long (front of hearth to sliding doors on to deck)
  • chloebud
    10 years ago
    Susan, I like your arrangement with the couch and chairs facing each other. I agree with the comment about the front chair legs being on the carpet. It would be interesting to see a pic of the couch facing the fireplace and the chairs on on each side of the fireplace facing the couch. Ugh...I know how much time furniture placement can take!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    the more I look at the photos, I think maybe there is just too much furniture in the room..
    is it possible to remove some of it and then try chloebud's suggestion?
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    i have a tough living room too, so i sympathize :)
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Have you tried the couch facing the windows and the two chairs facing the couch in front of the windows?
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Can we see a picture of the couch facing the fireplace?
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the help. I wish I had taken a picture with the couch facing the fireplace last night! :-( my sister is arriving in a hour from Seattle so I am afraid I will have to mess with the room more when her visit is over. Unless of course she would like to move furniture on her vacation....hmmmmmm! :-)
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have not tried the couch facing the windows with the chairs at the windows facing the couch. In fact that is the only way I haven't tried it! Will send Pictures again when I have a chance to get back to this. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you very much!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you've brought in your own "stylist!" Hope she'll get in the spirit of things. Get her on house and she'll be "hooked!"
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Already doing that right now! May I just say your home is stunning. It made me smile because my parents were high school sweethearts in Minneapolis , they have now been married 71 years! :-)
  • thompsonf
    10 years ago
    I used to have a living room that was 12 X26 with a big window along one long wall and big wall units on either side of a stone fireplace. We moved the wall units elsewhere and put in tall narrow casement windows on both sides of the fireplace and placed antique washstands below the windows. This was a huge improvement - there was just too much stuff on the short wall. It was overpowering visually and made furniture arrangement difficult in the rest of the room. Your chairs could also work in that space if you could afford to move the big pieces elsewhere.
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone , I am back and I have made some changes in the living room since my last post. Of course the living room is decorated for Christmas but I have purchased New drapes (much lighter color) and a new larger rug which gave me the pop of pattern and color I thought the room needed. Plus my mom is in the picture and at 91 she is clearly the best decoration of all! Hope you all think it's a improvement!
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And one more
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay here is my new furniture. I gave away my old couch , an end table and the two brown chairs. Replaced with a new sofa , small end table and a upholstered chair. I have placed the room in two configurations . Number one is more spacious and would accommodate the Christmas tree(thinking ahead) , in the right corner by the window. Here is arrangement 1 . Please tell me which arrangement you like best. I will tweak tables apes and mantle but right now I am interested in getting the furniture placement right!
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is arrangement 2. Opinions please!
  • susanvandivier
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More of arrangement two, I think I will keep the room this way. It seems the favorite choice of Houzzers too! Thanks everyone!