Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrice1

Patrice Conradt
12 years ago
I have a living room 12x20 that has two entrances in/out of it. One leads to the kitchen the other to the hallway and entrance. We have a seating/TV area on 1 side the other has a bay window with a 3 inch step up. Any ideas on how to use the area. Right now my grandchildren run in circles from kitchen to the living room. Not sure how to place the furniture so that it won't block entrances too much. Any ideas much appreciated.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    User
    12 years ago
    lovely house
  • Traci Rolz
    12 years ago
    I would move the beige recliner out of the traffic pattern of your grandkids.
  • Patrice Conradt
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank You Sabina. I feel like I need to arrange the furniture so the kids can't run circles through the kitchen and living room. I don't want them to fall and hit heads on the corner of the wall, but I feel it needs to be arranged a different way somehow.
  • Emily H
    12 years ago
    Ahhhh... So you would like to make it harder to run the circles? I can totally understand that.
  • Patrice Conradt
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    for sure needs to be harder to run in circles. Kids get hurt that way and they always want to do it.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Your red wall is really part of the hallway - so if you put anything on that wall it has to be tight to the wall. Having the big chair there interfers with the traffic flow. Maybe put that big chair where the black one is and put the black chair closer to the fireplace and pull the sofa down towards the bay window a bit. If the fireplace is a movable one then try switch places with the TV. ( OR ) If the the fireplace is infact movable then try it and the TV on the same wall together side by side.This will also give you the red wall to arrange for a family photo wall. Then the chairs can be sit at each end of the sofa. Put a storage ottoman in the bay window for toys etc. for the grandkids and that will protect the kids somewhat from the window . Your room is very narrow so that adds to the room layout problems. I love the colors you have used so I don't think you have to paint.
  • Patrice Conradt
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Lefty 47 Lynda, Thanks for the suggestions. They give me something to think about.
  • ann Bobeck
    12 years ago
    Can you tell me what your kitchen floor is? manufactuer? color?
  • Patrice Conradt
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Fareann, The tile is from Home Depot; brand is Montagna; color is Cortina. I love this floor. We have it in the bathroom also. It never shows dirt and is super easy to care for.
  • jansgirl
    12 years ago
    From all the plastic kids toys around, it looks like the grandkids pretty much own the house anyway so...enjoy it!! OR

It would be nice to make the fireplace the focus rather than the tv. If there is room-I'd move the tv a bit closer to the end of the wall and move the sofa to face the fireplace (if it's not too long) Add a coffee table hopefully w/ storage. Floor lamp between the red wall and arm of the sofa. Move the recliner to the other side of the room-near the fireplace yet facing in to the center of the room-table and lamp next to that. Relocate the other chair somewhere else in the house.

Hang patterned curtain panels (w/ the red/orange of your wall) at the bay window

Kids could still run...but they'd have to zig and zag more...

...and I would paint the vent on the red wall to make it "go away"!
  • Patrice Conradt
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I am not sure the couch would fit facing the fireplace, but I have thought of that. I will give it some more thought. You have some good ideas. Thanks.
  • debrarichards
    11 years ago
    I would put the TV above the fireplace for one focal point. I would buy a child gate for the hall area where the TV was and place my couch horizontally, almost at the end of the red wall. place the Tv stand as a sofa table behind it and an end table between sofa and red wall making a longer way around to the kitchen. This would also make space for a lamp. The room would be much bigger and eliminate a straight through runway :) Place one chair on the red wall and the other oppposite it on the other wall. I would palce a low bookcase that holds baskets, magazines, toys, blankets, etc opposite the red wall for the children. A large soft ottoman instead of coffe table perhaps with storage too. With a TV above th e fireplace, you can see it even if childrn are playing in the center of the room. Display childrens photos or art on the remaing red wall area.