Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nessamili

redecorating LIVING ROOM

nessamili
10 years ago
Need help refurnishing living room .. it's a small area with fireplace angled...looking to change sofas and tables and need a small work area for computer ..perhaps a console on wall of fireplace? front entrance walks right into living room . Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    We can make this work. I would need more pictures. Maybe one standing by plant and photo taken of entrance area.

Is the space to the left part of the room or is that another room?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Lots of photo ideas depending on your style.

Moore's Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Hi, here are some timeless pieces that I think would look great in your living room.

1. Antonio sideboard
    2. Newport sofa
    3. Belgium sofa
    4. Strip coffee table

For more close up pictures take a look on Bryght www.bryght.com
    nessamili thanked Article
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    Try angling matching sofas at 90 degree angle from fireplace. Your workstation might fit at entrance, but that might be uncomfortable. It might fit tucked into niche on right back wall or you could make a sofa table work as a workstation. You need large objects on the side of the fireplace top, not small as you have now. I would look for apartment sized sofas. If you don't want that arrangement, place one sofa directly in front of fireplace and one chair to the side.
    nessamili thanked Ramona
  • nessamili
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here is another angle
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    Was this furniture left from a prior home? It seems to not relate to your current surroundings or wall color at all. The sofas are very dated without being classic,and the end table and coffee table are really generic with no personality. All the paintings are hung much too high.
    I think you can go with really anything you like, but lower sofas would work better with the openness of the space and being able to see beyond .
    nessamili thanked sbrustein
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Suggest one sofa, two chairs, coffee table, and desk for the computer. Would the computer work on the stair well wall? I note you have an outlet there, but the passageway may be too narrow. Hate to see it dominating the living room unless you have a big screen one that you use to watch movies, as well as to work. Flank the FP with the chairs and float the sofa on the diagonal facing it, back to the entry. Replace the vertical blinds with drapery or contemporary shade window treatment.
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    I would go with some lower modern couches in a nuetral linen than change the blinds to solar shades in white, a console on that wall would be great, than maybe on the wall on the right , you can do either a built in for work space , floor to ceiling , that you can close up when you are finished with work or some type of modern piece. But something with doors so you can keep your workspace closed when not in use... Also you may want to play with the ground plan for your furniture placement as I can see some other options. How about a couch or sectional facing the fireplace with a console behind the couch?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I like deco's idea of the desk against the stairwell wall.

Let's play with the furniture you have. Take the 2 couches and place them perpendicular to the fp, facing each other. (one on each side of fp). Please take a photo.
  • nessamili
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    no, stairwell wall will not do..too narrow. I have since changed the blinds and am thinking of having 2 chairs and love seat .. would that work? 2 chairs in front of window and love seat facing? ...I like the idea of low modern. Console on side of fireplace which I can maybe use for computer? Not sure about built in ... I feel the space is so small and by putting in a few pieces it just crams it
  • nessamili
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    these are my blinds
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Please try the idea you are suggesting, using one sofa and any 2 chairs you have. Post picture and we will let you know.
  • nessamili
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    these are with sofas pependicular but feel I have an empty space between the dining and living room..leaving an open step
  • nessamili
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    not clear in the pic
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Modern sofa and chairs, rug to define the space, all in neutrals. Bring color into the mix with art and pillows and accessories.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    nessamili, that last arrangement is exactly right, except replace the loveseat with two chairs. Put a narrow desk on the wall to the right of the fireplace. Or even a single floating shelf large enough for your monitor and assorted paperwork. Perhaps a cool modern file cabinet or storage bin could go under the shelf on the right end where the end table is now.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Ooh, lookee. This desk and storage was made for your space. I apologize for giving you a chair with no legs; you be sure and get legs when you buy your own.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I also apologize for leaving out your computer. Look, now you have a desktop and a laptop.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    See how groveraxle has it? This way, the room is open (visually lighter chairs in front) and it still does not ignore the angle of your fireplace.

So, remove the second couch and the coffee table.
    Bring in 2 chairs (could be kitchen chairs….whatever you have) and place where groveraxle put chairs.

Take a pic for us please!!

Your new sofa will be smaller than the existing one, so that Grover's desk can fit.
    nessamili thanked CDR Design, LLC