Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11346842

MAIN COLORS for LIVING ROOM

Anonymous
10 years ago
Hello!
I'm not sure about the main color(s) to choose for my leaving room. I'm talking mostly about the curtains, carpet and main decoration. Colors that will match with the wall color, the couch, furniture and the floor. Most things were already in the house and I want to maintain.

Want to give some warm, modern and bright life to the living room.
Thank you very much!

Comments (38)

• sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Some ideas
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Modern Rustic Living Room · More Info

Gull Isle Modern Two-Story Addition · More Info
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Personally I would go with bright ,colourful rug and accessories
    http://houzz.com/photos/568254
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The furniture in the photos are quite nice, just needs some finishing touches such as art work and accent colors.

Rox Residence · More Info
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for the ideas! And witch accent colors do you think will fit better? I feel stuck because of the wall color and the wood color too. I don't want it to be something heavy or too serious.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Do you like the red in the lampshade? Perhaps use that as a jumping off point...
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, very nice examples! Yes, I do like the red. Actually, the lampshade came from my previous house, where the living room was decorated mostly with red. I was hooping to have something new, but red matches fine here too...
  • User
    10 years ago
    Can you paint the walls? Painting can open up a whole new palate of colors and ideas! :))
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    If you had red before, you may want something different? What is your favorite color? What is the main color in your clothes closet? Let's do something different.
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's it Darzy :) Well.. What makes it hard for me is that, in fact, I love many colors and I'm not afraid to use them. Red, blue, green, violet, gold, silver... Yes, painting the wall would make it easy, but I was hooping not to...
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Possible rug?
    DIAMONDS GREEN ,Area Rug ,size 7X10 · More Info
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I love this rug.,,
    Global Views "Bold Peacock" Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    DENISE BRADLEY FOR ETHAN ALLEN CANADA
    10 years ago
    i would go a warm grey for the walls
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    As for the original issue, I think the walls are a neutral off white- kind of like a B. Moore linen or Navajo white, correct? In that case, absolutely colors you choose should work just fine. I thought the lampshade was an orange-y red which I particularly like with the walls and sofa. For inspiration, I would goto a place like Home Goods and see the area rugs. Choose one you like and match curtains, pillows accessories to it.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Elisabete,
    do you have artwork that you will be hanging in the room? Maybe you can pick a colour from that as a cue for the rug, curtains, pillows and whathaveyou :-) Another idea could be just to keep the large things, like the rug and the curtains, neutral: greige, grey, beige, white... And then you can bring colour in with pillows, art, beautiful glass bowls or vases on your sideboard.
  • Salih Narman
    10 years ago
    Some colorful rugs would spice things up too in this room, Check out my online store for alternative items: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkishCraftsArts
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    With the canvas you have provided, you can color it with almost anything. Need to find one thing you consider a "must have" in the room and then easier to provide coordinating suggestions.
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jesus... If I wanted professional help I would look for it by other means. But I don't have a budget for it and, even if I had, I would never hire it just to get some help with COLORS. I would ask to anyone with good taste and a bit of time. I respect all professionals but, honestly, I don't believe that my innocent question and the OPINIONS that I kindly received will kill your good and recognized work and investment. So, yes, this is the wrong post to have this discussion. I didn't ask for someone to 'decorate' my leaving room!
  • Barbie
    10 years ago
    I think blues and oranges would look great in your space.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Elisabete If I were you I would open new discussion. Your room has a great potential, please keep us posted if you make any changes.
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now, back to the help! Thank you very, very much :)
    I feel less desperate, now.

Darzy you really nailed it on the first photo! I felt that everything was possible and with the colors I like!

Carolins, I don't have artwork yet. So I think I will go for your second advice!
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sondramartina, so kind of you! Hope I will create something nice to show you all! Best wishes guys
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Sondramartina's first photo she posted is a nice example of a very neutral room that you can add any colour to that you like.
  • jwhistler
    10 years ago
    You would want something bright to go with the natural light. My bedroom has tons of natural light and brightened it with this nice yellow color.
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    Elizabete, Darzy is the bomb. Great eye and listening skills. Follow her lead and you'll be in love with your living space....
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Gee thanks m3459!
  • cmarquardt1
    10 years ago
    You have a great neutral background to work with! I love Darzy's photo and how she listened to your wish list of colors...be sure to study that!! Also, have fun playing on houzz and saving photos that appeal to you and your space...I think with the proper rugs, art, pillows. accent pieces and window treatment that this space will be fantastic! Also, play a bit with furniture placement (doesn't look like you have room for the coffee table) Can't wait to see what you do with this room!
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Dslotboom I can not believe you found that resume !!!
    LOL
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Elisabete, your question is so wide open that it is hard for a Pro to answer, as I would have so many questions for you to narrow down and eventually support your choice rather than impose my own. Still, I think you have lots of input to choose from in this thread. Consider how the light hits the room at different times of day, what tonal value or hue in a given colour lightens your spirit or weighs you down, favourite articles that might guid a colours selection, etc. Issues such as your intended plan to keep or sell a property, tolerance for sticking with a design or love for "changing it up" also come into play and guide whether the colour you seek comes through decorative items or is made more permanent. Have fun figuring it all out---Ideabooks are an inspiration on Houzz!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Elisabete, I think your room would benefit from removing the dark blinds and going with a white faux-wood blind or white sheer curtain. The room appears dark and gloomy to me, and if your peruse the ideabooks you will notice that most of the modern designs are light and airy, with as much natural light as possible.

I just looked at your photos again and realized the blinds were outside the windows. Are you located in Europe, or the Middle East? I know they use those outside blinds a lot where there are sandstorms, so therefore my question. I think they also use them in the Islands, where hurricanes can damage windows.

In any case, I would try to use light fabrics and rugs to lighten up the "mood," and save the bright colors for artwork and accessories such as throw pillows, vases, etc.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Take your room colours from a rug you love. Go shopping and take your room and couch measurements with you.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    @bsellers1394. Thank you! You noticed. :)
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Darzy conducts herself like a professional all the time. She shares good ideas, makes good recommendations and is always, always pleasant and complimentary to other houzers. Gal is a winner, IMO.

And, she doesn’t have PRO under her picture. Holy Cow!
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    iamjudy... back at you! I always love your ideas (better than mine, my dear!) and I think you're a real pro!
  • Anonymous
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your time! I'm trying to see as much as possible (ideabooks, stores, blogs, etc) to get inspired and to place myself and my own tastes. And I'm trying to figure out some unusual stores where I can find nice things. I'm tired of the most common ones, where I'm from. Too expensive or poor personality. The sale season is arriving and hope I'll get lucky!

Nancy Walton, I'm from Europe. No hurricanes or sandstorms, just old habits :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Elisabete, you may find this an inspiring website. I'm in Europe too :-)
    http://www.remodelista.com/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    And check out eBay or whatever website there is in your country for second hand items (and new), second hand shops... to find characterful original things.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    I remember those blinds on the outside :) and offcourse i would not remove them since they can be just "rolled up". My uncle had them and after huge hail storm his windows were intact,only blinds were full of holes .