Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlryan78

Do I need 2 coffee tables??

Melissa
10 years ago
I'm still working on my living room....and am wondering if I need to replace the large square coffee table (46" x 46") in the center of the room. It doesn't really serve either sofa very well...it's too far away to really be functional. I'm considering purchasing 2 Tanner glass / iron coffee tables from Pottery Barn (see photo). Any suggestions? Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Comments (168)

• Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Here's another idea for that back wall. Maybe I could hang this large PB corridor mirror horizontally behind the light box? The mirror measures 72" long x 49.5" high. So, the mirror would be the same length as the console (72") and if installed 2 inches above the console tabletop would be the same height as the 2 windows. I've also attached a photo of the Ballard convex mirrors...but unfortunately the largest size available is 27.5" round which seems a little small for the space. So far I haven't been able to locate an oversize convex mirror.....check out this beautiful convex mirror from Elle Decor Russia mag... so beautiful!

I really like the idea of a mirror reflecting the fireplace, art, light, people etc.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few photos of the wall right now. I feel like it needs something. The light box measures 30" x 30" x 9" deep.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, one last thought. Restoration Hardware has a simple 48" round mirror. They also have a 60" round that would fall just beneath the console tabletop and a little above the windows....it would be huge but perhaps amazing. I'm totally getting carried away! ; )
  • PRO
    Great Impressions Home Staging/Interiors
    10 years ago
    I prefer the 48" round mirror so as not to overwhelm the windows and detract from the windows :). Love the idea of a convex mirror but agree it needs to be larger -- or you could use 3 horizontally perhaps 2 smaller but equal size to each other flanking larger middle one.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, before you buy a round mirror in either 48" or 60" consider the round shape of it next to the square light box. Do you see what I am getting at? The earlier PB square tiled mirror would be better. I also love the aged finish on it. Will totally go with your casual style. Convex mirrors require a very formal setting, and I feel would clash with a simple relaxed decor. They come from the old Victoriana, and no matter how one wants to update them, they command respect and almost insist on a more formal setting. Still, I can see what you trying to achieve - splashes of light and movement on the wall without having a solid block of mirror. This might be an idea, but again gallery style mirrors might not speak the same language as your light box or the rest of the room.

I wonder what that light box is for - is it meditative, symbolic, religious or plain decorative? How about framing it with a large mirror with a crown? Kind a like Indian temple? There are many on the market with a lovely pointed top that I feel would add interest and kinda "hide" the squat shape of the light box. Such tall mirror could also "mirror" the windows, creating more unity and architectural harmony.
    Melissa thanked Natasha Assa
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Something like this

Look, what I found on Overstock.com!
    http://www.o.co/6479455/product.html
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Horchow has many lovely mirrors.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I completely see what you are saying! And I do like the idea of layering the PB mirror behind the light box. Speaking of the light box (imaginary miniature theater), here is some info about the NYC artist Cletus Johnson who created it http://www.artspace.com/cletus_johnson and http://westfieldrepublican.com/page/content.detail/id/511854/Renowned-artist-Cletus-Johnson-exhibits-at-library.html?nav=5066 .

I'll "tape off" where the PB mirror will go. Please let me know what you think size-wise. I'll also take a look at Horchow today. Thank you , again!

PS The new chesterfield arrives tomorrow! Can't wait!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a closeup of the light box. The stars inside form an arc so this detail could potentially be echoed by a mirror with a curved top. On the other hand, I do like the PB mirror because it is the same height as the windows and width of the console. I really like coincidences like this. : )
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, thank you for the close up of the light box! It is quite magical! I can just hear all the theater-going public coming in and the performance begin.

Congratulations on the new chesterfield. It is going to be a room changer.

And yes, it is really a matter of your specific taste and sense of direction to decide on a mirror. PB sounds like an excellent choice. Squares would resonate with strong graphics of the coffee table and the Kilim rug. And the patina is gonna add that wonderful lived-in feel. The proportions are important, too, as we are trying to make more out of the windows.

I love your eclectic taste. So many unexpected combinations and objects. Dreamy!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Natasha, Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I'll tape off that mirror today and post photos. Also, I'm taking your advice and will place table height pieces in front of the tall windows. I have 2 sculptures and 2 reclaimed wooden beam pedestals that I think might work there. You're right about creating a counterbalance to the windows. Thank you for the great advice!

The chesterfield didn't show up on Friday....the trucking company called to say their truck broke down. Supposed to show up on Monday!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, I've decided to take the kilim out of the equation. I think I can use it in another room. : )
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just taped out the PB corridor mirror (72 w x 49.5 h) on the back wall. I'm totally liking it! What do you think? The room is a construction site at the moment...so sorry...we're preparing to give away the pink sofa and are also installing a small built-in heater. : )
  • PRO
    Great Impressions Home Staging/Interiors
    10 years ago
    Actually, as much as I love the idea of a round mirror to introduce another shape, I really like the size and shape of the PB mirror when I see it taped out, Melissa!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Amy! I'm happy with it too! Hoping I can find a PB coupon code. ; )
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, the size of PB mirror is practically perfect for the space. But let me push the envelope, would two of these mirrors fit? I only ask cuz I had a recent experience of fitting a mirror to the maximum width of the wall, and contrary to my expectations (of dwarfing the space) it actually worked out better than expected. But in this case it seems like a close call. So it's just an idea.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The pink sofa left and the chesterfield arrived just before the snowstorm.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Natasha, 2 PB mirrors will fit the space if installed vertically (72" h x 99" w). The mirrors would hit about 10 inches above the floor and 5 inches from the window moulding on either side.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another view.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, I like the idea of two mirrors not only cuz it makes the accent and the wall more substantial and rich, but also cuz horizontal hanging places the mirror above the couch and makes it look skimpy. With two mirrors vertically the couch would overlap the mirror giving a much more streamlined and relaxed view. The 10" on the sides is just perfect, not exactly "busting out" of the space, but not shortchanging it either. The question is: is it in the budget? Lol!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Also congrats on the new chesterfield. Beautiiiiiful!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think about bringing red into the room a little bit more? I have red in the bench, and a bit in the marilyn print, tapestry, and paintings. I need pillows for the brown leather chairs. Maybe I could bring some red in that way? Thoughts on this?
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    other ideas....
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the brown leather chairs.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Yes, to the red and Marilyn pillows! Fabulous idea, very unexpected in your design, but very chic, edgy and modern.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Take a pic of your chairs at night. That way the light from outside wont darken the photo.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the chairs again!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Great pics of the chairs! And great chairs, too! So are they meant for the pillows?
  • aqsscvds
    10 years ago
    I love those pillows, but I miss the Kilim you had in the room. I think it adds great color, warmth, and a wonderful eclectic look. Maybe add it back in with some great pillows.
  • PRO
    Old New House
    10 years ago
    I am somewhat surprised! The arrangement is actually really good! Maybe a foot stool or two would do the trick - add some functionality to the openness. I don't think there's much need for excuses in this space, it works. I do, however, think that a few of the rug pillows could pop a bit more - higher contrasting colors, maybe something with a bit more depth and saturation. http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/old-new-house-originals/pillows These are a few we make by hand with organic kapok fill
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! My initial thought was to use the Marilyn and red pillows on the brown leather chairs but as I look more ...I'm reconsidering that idea. I think maybe I could mix them in with the chesterfields. Currently the chesterfields have velvet studded pillows in indigo, greige, and light blue...but it seems kind of Blah. Maybe I'll order a red pillow and the indigo Marilyn and see what happens....
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Natasha, think I'm going to move forward with the 2 PB mirrors. I think you're right about the proportions and balancing out the sofa. Thanks for your advice on this!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Well, glad to be of help! Two chesterfields, two arts and crafts chairs, why not two mirrors, right? But seriously speaking, the effect would be a lot better!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, I just read your comment regarding the windows. I missed it earlier, cuz the thread seems to update with some time lag. Yes, it is interesting that while the windows seem to suggest a somewhat oriental, zen connection of the outside in, but given the atmosphere and function of the room, it doesn't seem to work. So something's gotta give. And I really think bringing those windows in sync with the furniture arrangement would lift the room up, literally. I am glad it's easy for you to do with objects of art, and window treatments. I know you will immediately see the difference.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Regarding the window treatments...do you have any recommendations or suggestions? Perhaps a neutral color that would pick up the rug? Beige or linen? Do you think I should also add treatments to the sliding glass doors? Thanks again!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Somehow I have missed all that has been going on, so what a surprise to take a look at your room! Oh, my! I love it! You have to smile every day you walk in there! Look at your first pic and look at it today. GREAT transformation with lots of work.

I really think you will want the sliding doors to have a matching treatment or at least a coordinating one. It will finish it off instead of looking like you are waiting for those windows to be included.
  • Belle La Vue
    10 years ago
    I would have at least one sofa face the fireplace and place chairs around it. The fireplace is the focal point.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    Melissa, with curtains, it is really a world of its own. I would personally, decide on a style that you want to achieve, and only then turn to particular choices. Reason for this strategy is mainly that there are millions of possibilities out there, so you want to reduce them to a desired outcome. Try to see window treatment ideabooks here on HOUZZ. Also, recently I found window panels at Bed, Bath and Beyond to be very well priced and high quality. Some of them are specifically marked to be energy efficient, and I love that feature, come snow or sun. I will keep my eye on something for you, too!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, the PB mirrors have just been discontinued. What are the chances?! I've been investigating other options. Home Depot sells a classic 24" x 30" frameless beveled mirror for $19.99 each. If I installed 8 of these mirrors together it would be 72" h x 90" w. Perhaps I could achieve a similar effect for less than $160?
  • PRO
    MyCraftWork, LLC
    10 years ago
    I'm currently working on a custom Moroccan living room for a client in LA. I can share some pictures if you think it might help ya!
    www.mycraftwork.com
  • Nic Wickens
    10 years ago
    @Melissa ... Where can i find the grand star lightbox you have in this article or something similar, its really nice, i want to do something like this to a coffee table can you point me in the direction of any source materials.. Really appreciated.. Nic ( nic@noiseincolour.com )
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Nic, The Grand light box is a one of a kind piece by the artist Cletus Johnson. It measures 30" x 30" and is made of wood and tiny Christmas lights. You can find examples of his work online and I think there is an art gallery in upstate NY that represents him as well. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!
  • toats
    10 years ago
    just wanted to say that i LOVE how this room is coming together, you're doing a fantastic job! And omg I am SO jealous of your sofas!!!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Designers, I have a furniture idea I want to run by you. I'm thinking about replacing the 2 chestnut arts and crafts chairs with something smaller, colorful, and a bit more modern. I found two textured dark red swivel chairs at Grandin Road that I really like. See below. They are the same shade of red as the red bench which is also from Grandin Road. What do you think of this pairing?

I'm still working on curtains for the sliders and two long narrow windows. I'll hopefully have some ideas to share with you soon.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the chestnut arts and crafts chairs for reference.
  • Nic Wickens
    10 years ago
    @Melissa thank you for the artist reference, appreciated intel
  • Nic Wickens
    10 years ago
    @Melissa, do let me know if you ever want to sell the piece
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Spring update.
  • edithsmom
    9 years ago
    You have really made this room even better! Looks terrific and love the art throughout.
  • PRO