Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

What style is your bedroom?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
What type of look did you decide for your bedroom? What steps did you take to achieve it and did you encounter any problems?

Don't forget to attach a photo of your bedroom too!

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Comments (68)

• Rosanne
    10 years ago
    ajbessette, I am going to redo my bedroom with a seashell theme. I have a comforter with matching curtains and pillow shams. I've been collecting seashell drawings, candles, etc. All is waiting for me to paint and replace flooring (this spring). Paint colors will be pulled from the comforter.

Can't wait till it's done. I'm also going to set up my 55 gallon aquarium in there. Need some ideas for a headboard (inexpensive or one I can make for a platform bed).
  • Valerie S
    10 years ago
    D John Design...Beautiful bedroom - can you provide name/source of ceiling fixture in bedroom?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Currently it's 'early construction' and the platform that holds the memfoam bed, the tv mounted on the wall, and some really large totes full of clean clothes are all that's in there, other than the flooring, installed just before Christmas. Once we close our eyes, the décor doesn't matter much.... I am leaning towards nice and dark and some floor to ceiling blockout insulating drapes for the windows so we can sleep even during the day. Hubby wants light and bright but with his disability he ends up sleeping/napping a lot and is finally admitting a nice dark room helps him go to sleep. I love all the Houzz beautiful rooms here, I'm afraid it will be paint the drywall after it goes in, move in the dressers and nightstands we currently own, again; I will be making the window coverings myself; and it will stay that way for quite a while.
  • nwdnanny
    10 years ago
    vsimon, the small chandelier is a VERY inexpensive used piece I found on Ebay. I have no idea who it is made by...sorry.
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Thanks Chookchook3.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    @vsimon, the chandelier looks very familiar. It's a bit difficult to see the details, but it looks like this one http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Bubbles-Glass-Chandelier---Chrome/1721
  • FeelsLike Heaven
    10 years ago
    I love the master bedroom in our vacation rental, it's a chalet kind of country style room with a seating area, en suite, vaulted ceilings and double doors that lead to a private balcony facing the pine trees. Did I mention I love it. :)
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    A work in progress/eclectic/transitional I suppose. When I bought the house, the mbr had one dark brown wall, the other three were a deep tan. I wanted painting to take place before I moved in. Time wasn't on my side as I had to go back to Michigan to meet the movers. Hadn't thought of a specific color, so I had the mbr painted the same cream color I had LR/DR painted (which looked like a cave due to the dark colors). I bought the bed (walnut-basket weave design) last year at a going out of business sale of an Interior Design store for a STEAL!! Went online to find dresser and nightstands; found them, but they are extremely expensive ($1440 for a nightstand)!! I will keep the antique table to the right of the bed, just have it refinished. Haven't decided on what kind of nightstand, media chest, and dresser I want. I know I want clean lines, something the color of the outer edge of the bed. I guess I'll know when I see them (and matches my pocketbook)!
  • carolh7433
    10 years ago
    I need help re-doing an 80's bathroom. I am stuck with these large maple pieces in the bathroom but I plan to replace the black cabinets, tile, &sinks with white. I need help with ideas for counter-top and wall/tile and floor materials that will coordinate with these maple wood pieces I am stuck with. I can leave existing tile floors which coordinate with maple, but the black stuff has to go. if anyone can point me to pictures of materials or examples that might work, I'd be eternally grateful. This is on the beach in Marina Del Try CA so a beachy vibe would be nice. Also the rest of the home is not modern but is more of a traditional British Colonial vibe...dark distressed hardwood floors, indigo and white upholstery, rattan throughout, ceiling fans etc.
  • Lauren Royal
    10 years ago
    I guess I would call our bedroom style "old world." We recently moved, and I'm thrilled with the way all the stuff we already owned combined in our new master bedroom. At our last house, the tapestry was in our entry, the table/chairs were in our game room, and the painting was in our living room. We didn't have to buy anything you see here. Since this photo was taken, we've added red curtains, which came from our last house as well. :-)
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    @carolh, the maple cabinets are actually nice. I've seen some photos here on houzz that were really nicely done. If you change the black furniture, you could continue the maple theme, having the cabinets in maple as well. An option would be to paint the walls a gray-blue and have a dark gray countertop. If you don't like that idea, here are some ideas
    Hillsborough · More Info

Cambridge Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Arc House · More Info

Cedar Lake International Style · More Info
  • ttricia23
    10 years ago
    My bedroom is traditional/eclectic. It really isn't big enough.
  • Delora Dickey
    10 years ago
    My living room, kitchen, dining room, guest bedroom, and bathrooms are all nicely - and neatly arranged, and ready for company. My bedroom? A mess! Cluttered computer L-shaped desk, dog pen, vacuum and steam cleaner next to the wall, pillows on the floor for the dogs to nap (along with their blankets), a sorting laundry frame...the list goes on. Ah, well, I content myself that it's only 1 room out of the entire house!
  • schnauzero_1
    10 years ago
    I always love a blue bedroom. I try to keep the clutter at bay so that I am totally relaxed when I go there. Its really one of my favorite rooms!
  • cjcs56
    10 years ago
    I like to think of our bedroom as traditional/chic. It resulted in the aftermath of the master bath redo...the bedroom was trashed after the renovation and the bathroom wall color inspired me to step out of my 'traditional box' and be a little daring. So I went for a very deep purple accent wall behind the bed that I pulled from the draperies. My hubby made me promise I would repaint it if he didn't like it, and he liked it so much he put the crown molding around the bedroom afterward! Win-win!! :)
  • coconuts1234
    10 years ago
    After we hung the curtains on Saturday, my 13 yo said our bedroom looks like a high end hotel room. I like his description!

Still working on finishing touches...
  • marjie1059
    10 years ago
    Some lovely rooms pictured here. If I could dig out from under the books (3 bookcases and boxes of books on the floor) and photos, I could maybe get a style. Meanwhile, I'd be happy to have a light in the closet that actually worked (a strand of white Christmas lights hung on a hook that gets plugged into the extension cord when I truly need to find those shoes is my current "answer"). Oh, yes, and I could use a place to keep musical instruments, too, besides leaning up against one of those bookcases...Yes, I guess my "style" is eclectic. No other choice. *sigh* Someday....
    Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the great pictures other posters put up. You couldn't pay me to take a picture of my bedroom, much less put it up here! (Now my kitchen is beautiful...but that's not what this thread is about, is it?)
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    Our style is traditional with a definite lean towards comfy. Would love a beautiful chandelier, but until they make one that cools you off like a ceiling fan, we'll keep what we have.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10 years ago
    Number one on my list of room decors that brings out the romantic in me is the bedroom. It’s a private oasis, the inner sanctum that few are given entrée and so can freely express personal interpretation. While you feel some constraint must be exercised in a home’s public spaces, those design rules don’t have to be applied in decorating a bedroom. A bedroom can be romance personified, designed any way you want.

The tufted fabric headboard pictured here works for any interior design style. It’s soft without being particularly feminine. For a cohesive and a more contemporary look, I like to have the headboard and box upholstered in the same fabric rather than use a separate headboard and dust ruffle. The ivory linen fabric adds textural interest and is both tailored and luxe.

No matter what the design scheme or color palette, I use bed linens in shades that range from pure white to creamy ivory. White, yes… bland, no! Textural interest, colorful taping or embroidery, and other unique touches add a wonderful custom look.

The walls were painted in a pale sorbet yellow so the room always presents a sunny disposition. The trim is a pure semi-glass white that ties in with the extensive window frames.
  • juliasanchezfranco
    10 years ago
    Me gusta mucho este cuarto es muy fresco, y cómodo esta ubicado en cartagena Colombia
  • heather_11
    10 years ago
    OMG. nwdnanny! So pretty. I am far too lazy to keep that clean and dust free
  • nwdnanny
    10 years ago
    I'm use to it. I love my little piece of heaven and can't wait to get in bed at night. Thanks for your kind words.
  • kpappal
    10 years ago
    After moving into our new home 3 yrs. ago, I am just starting the process of decorating our master bedroom. I recently purchased some retro french provincial furniture that is cream color with gold trim, that is from the '50's. I love it. I am thinking that I want the mood of the rom to be serene, romantic and calming. I have my heart set on medium toned gray walls, and plan to use cream, silvery gay, beige and golds as the color scheme. Does this sound too boring. My master bath is a dusky deep olive green with cream colored accents. I want the Master Bedroom to flow into it.
  • zang777
    10 years ago
    I guess our bedroom is best called "calming".. my husband works long hours in a automotive body shop and I work in the hectic costume jewelry industry. The last thing we want is to come home to colors and features screaming at us, so neutrals seem to be what appeals to us the most when we finally get home.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Is it keeping up with all facets of the diametes, or the constant chain reactions inherent in the jewellery market that is so hectic?
  • Jill Ruiz
    10 years ago
    I am looking forward someday to be able to do my room. I bought the house two years ago, and I have yet to paint, and do all the decor I so long to do. However, I am going to to paint soft whisper blues, with touches of white/cream distressed furniture. Touches of Lavendar and Greens. Very Romantic and Soothing, Airy!!! :)
  • MaryAnn Ahrens
    10 years ago
    I could so live with this. . .
  • sfsapp
    10 years ago
    I don't know what you call this but it's what I like.
  • Amy Cluck
    10 years ago
    traditional work in progress!
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    A snap of part of our bedroom. It's comfortable and relaxing. It also has a fireplace that we can see from the bed. I got the area rug at Expo before they went out of business (it's a beautiful deep shade of apricot bordering on rust and cream) and found a local old-school craftsman (a Scot) to do the flooring.
  • whitneypack
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Modern romantic.
  • Lainey Stern
    10 years ago
    I want my bedroom to look as beautiful as all of yours but when I posted pictures of the dated bedroom set I have to work with all I was told is get rid of set not how to make what I have look gorgeous
  • marjie1059
    10 years ago
    favoritegram: I think that those who often are able to freely switch out things that don't look just right forget that sometimes there are non-negotiable specifics. For my kitchen redo when the foundation was collapsing, for example, I knew the laundry appliances were going to be in it. That determined some other things, which in turn determined others. Some would have said to put them somewhere else. Not an option at all, and that's okay.
    Now you have my curiosity up! Where do you have photos of this dated bedroom set?
  • cmcole01
    10 years ago
    My bedroom is almost finished (thanks to all those on Houzz who have helped). I love it!!
  • Lainey Stern
    10 years ago
    My photos were in a discussion several months ago but it seems to have disappeared
  • Nick
    10 years ago
    Beautiful! Love the deck off the Bedroom
  • Christine Baudin
    10 years ago
    We inherited this awesome bedroom when we bought our house but I added the chandelier and bedding :)
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Modern Hollywood glam
  • Christine Baudin
    10 years ago
    Here is our guest bedroom, cottage coastal
  • Snaggy
    10 years ago
    I have shabby chic then the cat thought he would add his own touch ....so now its tabby chic !!
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    My recently updated master-
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Pretty!!
  • joe12333
    10 years ago
    I would say my bedroom is a English/French country style. I have a custom toile bedspread in blue and yellow and that became the color scene for the room. Ive also filled it with english antiques, such as a english tea table, mahogany candle stand, and a queen anne chair that i reupholstered
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Pretty!
  • bigredkate
    10 years ago
    My husband calls my style 'opportunistic eclectic' but I suppose it is more traditional. We have a brass bed, antique dressing table and bridge chair both made by my grandfather and a carved chinese chest we use as blanket box. Linens are always white but I do like to have lots of texture. Drapes, chair upholstery and cushions in shades of blue. It is not a large room, but it is comfortable and calm.
  • Susan Bird
    10 years ago
    Hmmm, I really don't know what my style is, but here are the pics!
  • missbengal
    7 years ago
    My style? Tranquil, calm, the idea was to create a sanctuary.
  • Tikaaesq
    7 years ago
    Bedroom style to be is modern/contemporary (to be as I Recently purchased a condo and trying to find a bedroom set) with main colors rose gold and grey or champagne.

Will share once I get to do it.