Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanoopriya

Art for the living room

kanoopriya
10 years ago
Hi,
I have a big wall behind my loveseats with a window at one end and the other looks over to dining area.
Pls suggest what looks better..one single big piece of art or a collage of paintings.

Comments (152)

• kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Further... have been browsing a lot of pages on internet for decor with high ceilings.. my walls in living room are 150" high( except for the one joining the dining space) Will hanging the curtains ceiling high and the decor like mirror and painting not that high make it look good. I mean curtains are hung at the ceiling ht.. painting is 54-60" high so the cummulative ht will be( loveseat 32+ artwork 56=88") mirror is 40"( fireplace 44+mirror 40=84) and then a plant for vertical effect and an arc lamp(84" high)I will be putting garden stool to elevate the vase which is on floor right now. Pls let me know what do you think....
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cassie I just visited page you suggested...here is what I like..Artwork by Los Angeles Artists & Artisans Xceron
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hey the pic is not coming.. wait it is the profile pic one(TIME)...
  • PRO
    Mindy Wilson
    10 years ago
    For any of you within the USA --- I can have one printed for you in what ever size you'd like and on quite a selection of different papers or canvas. textured paper, matte finish canvas or regular canvas(which has a sheen to it) fabric by the yard...matte finish photo paper or glossy. The possibilities are broad. mrsmrswilson@outlook.com is my email address. let me know what you would like and I will send a quote. *my canvas prints are not placed on a frame* you would need to have that done or DIY. Thank you for the compliments!
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok...
  • PRO
    Mindy Wilson
    10 years ago
    I create some of my art from my own illustrations, photos and some manipulation from the computer so, when printed it is in it's original form. This isn't a random mass print production. I sign each as I sign my original photos, original paintings, illustrations, or silk screened items. ;)
  • PRO
    Mindy Wilson
    10 years ago
    I respect what you are saying and I have created one of a kind pieces too and not reproduced them in any manner. However, years ago I decided it is my work and all the rules are mine. I run with scissors, mix my patterns (before it was a fashion trend ) use mediums that work against each other. I follow rules with my 8 to 5... I nearly failed art because I refused to create what I was told. Or use the expected method. I could not breath. But, that is what works for me. My art funds helped support my family. The other side of my quirkiness: I cannot do scrapbook projects. I can't use someone's images. Thanks for visiting with me!
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    cassie my email id is ankur2879@gmail.com.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also pls suggest will hanging curtains ceiling high and rest of the decor like not that high...
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks a ton Cassie...
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cassie... so you think high curtains and all that work will add the vertical tension and make it look wow...
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Homescapes and design...thanks a lot... I got the clamshell from Z gallarie and it is looking great on the table. Friends I am back again with the same confusion... looked at many art pieces but nothing seems Okay. Just met a custom drapery expert from JC Penny and he suggests to go for curtains first and to use pattern curtains and then think about the art and mirror. Any take in this...
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi Kanoopriya. I think the drapery expert has an interesting take. It may be that there are just too many options for you to make a decision on the art, and that having a bit more structure to the search -- looking for something that will work with the curtains -- will make it easier. But I would say you had better really, really like the curtains, or you might feel frustrated at the restriction.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree Rina.. it is really tough, have looked every store near my city for the mirror or alternate decor for the fireplace wall but no luck.. same with art. Have met 1 more customer drapery expert today he suggest go with silhouettes , then get art and then to bind the room get the panels like side panels on the window.. so still looking... keep suggesting...
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    My tiny two cents worth on the wall... its so large... it seems to be asking for depth and dimension.
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Well gosh... i couldn't get those windows (next to fireplace) out of my head... they seem to be taking over the room. It seems that the fireplace wants to have more say in that room. Just another idea... for what its worth. *hover over image to enlarge a bit*
    It is so exciting to share ideas... love this thread :)
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Endless possibilities...
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thankx Marie, I loved your ideas.But I am thinking of putting an art piece , large size behind the loveseats and a fiddle fig next to it. I really liked your idea about fireplace in the earlier post. I tried this faux wall but wont it make look small I mean the room. My initial instinct was a faux stone on fireplace and then hang a very modern mirror on it, but will it be ok in this small room. for the wooden one which you shared earlier, pls share in detail the idea and howwill it be if I used the glass tiles to create this effect. Just a wild thought... attaching the art I have selected for my room.. pls share your opinion...
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    I would like to offer an opinion on the artwork...but i would need a visual...like what was done with the other pieces above. I wish i knew how to do that :)
    For now i can focus on the fireplace...will attach images with ideas for you to ponder.
    The first one... i like the way the art pulls in the drape colors ( even if the art seems a smidge to big ).
    The second ... i like the scale of the art piece. With perhaps a lighter color brick.
    The third ... i like the brick color.
    The fourth... only for the candles... i like how it takes the focus lower... which would help with the concern over making the room look smaller... but i think with careful consideration of color and size of framing the fireplace... it is still doable. Which leads to other thoughts... will send in another post.
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Woops... forgot to send the fourth one...here it is
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Here are some examples of framing the top of fireplace. I forgot to mention the idea of pulling in the color of your drapery hardware...like if the candles (^on bottom of fireplace ^) had a darker brass color base... like the frame of the mirror (in third pic above).

Now about framing fireplace ideas... pics attached.

The first one... is just a nice subtle statement... choosing different fireplace color and/or artwork or mirror.
    The second... i like the brickwork on bottom and top (not the color....just the way it plays the eye)... i would install a mirror or mirror tiles... in nook over mantle.
    The third... i like the look of the pillars... i could see your mirror tiles working over the mantle.

I do enjoy offering ideas to ponder... just remember whatever you choose... it has to speak joy to you when you see it... your room should always make you smile :)
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Marie, you're bringing a whole new energy into this discussion. Go, girl, go!
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Grt Marie.. wonderful ideas..you gave a whole new perspective to it.. thanks. from the last post I like the first pic as it is more or less similar and just need to do a few things for this look. However I liked the third one but the pillar should be difficult to get done right away..
    and I will place a mirror on my fireplace ad per feng shui and there is already an art in the room above the loveseat so two together .. wont it be too much.. so I thought a mirror.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can You also pls let me know abt the art. It is going to be above my loveseats whose pic I have shared in earlier posts
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Marie, just browsed a website and liked few mirrors over there so sharing them for you opinion...
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I like all three of those mirrors. The oval might work best. Now things are glamming up a bit, I wonder if we weren't trying too hard to put lots of colour into your art? I really like this way this one looks, below, and the other would make an interesting companion piece -- similar colours, softer mood -- for above the second sofa. They're both canvas prints, the same size, and the colours blend beautifully with your sofas -- not sure I've got it right in the rendition but it looks more or less so to me. They'd come in at just under a thousand dollars for the two, but I don't think either needs framing.

http://www.zgallerie.com/c-210-canvas.aspx
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Rina... your comment made me smile :) Priya.. i looked above for an example of the art over the love seat...but did not see it? The mirrors... i prefer the elegance of the first one.
    I had another thought about the size of wall and the overlook... it was not easy to find a pic of what i envisioned... apparently it isn't done too much? But i love the way it pulls the drapes and other walls together....notice how the ceiling is the same color. Rather daring...yet...hmmm?
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Priya... i did notice a horizontal piece above...you stated that you liked the blue and hubby liked the color. And i thought... what an interesting time they will have finding something that "speaks" to both of them. what an exciting process! Then while i was over at Google images for the wall... i came across something that reminded me... "understated... yet with color".
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    forgot again.... silly me
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    Oh well i guess i cant post from there? It wouldn't go through?
  • Marie Odell
    10 years ago
    And so.... i was trying to find where i had seen the Art piece (still no luck)... but i came across something else that i found quite interesting.... i have only skimmed the site for now... but it is something that i will be going back to ASAP! I have to go take care of life for a bit now... but wanted to stop in and share site... loads of great advice!
    http://canvasgicleeprinting.com/
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Oh the frustrations of the techno world! I find I can't pick up the link you have put there, Marie. I'm off to bed soon, so I hope your life bit goes well and your technical problems resolve. How are you feeling, Kanoopriya?
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rina both of them are wonderful..I have seen them at the Z gallarie and they are good. but I am confused.. you are talking abt this one over the wall opp to fireplace on second sofa or this one instead of the one shared below. Marie this is the one I am requesting for an opinion. I am also sharing the room pic again. Rina this pic shows both the sofas and walls. I also liked them especially the family tree..it is too good.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Grover. Oh for a day to spend going through that collection ...
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Gosh, doesn't the room look different in that light? I don't quite know what to make of the pic you've posted, Kanoopriya. Is it a cloth hanging? How big is it? The colours are rather exciting.

I was thinking of the circular image where I placed it, and then the tree image above the second couch, facing the fireplace.

Okay, off to bed in a few minutes ... catch you in the morning, perhaps?
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay Rina I got it... this pic I have taken in day light.This is an acrylic original art. size 72 X 42. The canvas needs to be stretched , so finally it will be 70 X 40. My idea was to place it over the love seat and that oval mirror over fireplace and the tree pic over the sofa facing fireplace. This painting is about Buddha's journey towards enlightenment.
    Grover, I am glad you are here again...pls share your opinion on the painting I have attached above.
    Have tried to render the pic of room with art and the two mirror we are discussing about. Pls excuse my sloppy rendering. Just an idea...
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi,
    Have bought the oval mirror and a floor lamp for the room..[posting the updated for suggestions needed for improvement.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just a thought moving the artwork to the center of wall will make it look better or not.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Both the artwork AND the loveseat need to be centered on the wall.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    But this is a rectangle room I can put the artwork in the center of the wall but not the loveseat. But let me try moving furniture today
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How do you find the two pieces I have selected. Are they good and go together.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Try the sofa on the end wall, and the loveseat on the other side of the fireplace facing the sofa.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    both of them are loveseats.
    have shifted the love seat at the end wall in the center of the wall. will it be better if I place both the love seats opposite to each other but the only problem is it will hide the fireplace..
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    kanoopriya, you have a difficult room and tradeoffs will have to be made. For one thing, an uncentered loveseat with centered art will unbalance that back wall to the point of anxiety. So yes, I think a better option is to have the two loveseats facing each other across the fireplace so you can center them both along with the art.

Second, your loveseat is narrow and can't really support a wide piece of art. Art that is too big will dwarf your furniture and further unbalance the space.

I like the mirror very much, but I think it's a bit too large. This might be ameliorated a bit with drapes that go to the ceiling and cover the edges of the window. Your current drapes just do not fit the space well; they look skimpy and disheveled.

And whatever happened to the palm you said you got? A tall indoor palm might help you gain the height you need, though it too will make your furniture look small.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi thanks for the advice. I am planning to change the drapes and it is the next project after I complete decor for for this room. Attached is the pic after moving the love seat to the center. For the palm I came across another plant fiddle fig which is very beautiful,hence thought of buying it.
  • kanoopriya
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another thought if I use wall paper for this wall behind the loveseat. Put my art on the other wall at the end of the fireplace . And may be a collage of small artwork in black frame on this wall
  • PRO
    Lindsay Cowles LLC
    9 years ago
    Hi! I have lots of great wallpapers that are made from sections of my original paintings. I also have wonderful originals and prints on stretched canvas. Please check out my Houzz page for more information. To see the full line of wallpapers and prints on stretched canvas- please go to http://lindsaycowlesfineart.bigcartel.com. The full selection of original art can be viewed on http://lindsaycowlesart.blogspot.com. Or feel free to message/email me with questions. lindsaycowlesfineart@gmail.com.
Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm