Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Colored VS Neutral Bathroom Tile

10 years ago
When it comes to bathroom tile, do you prefer colored or neutral colored bathroom tile?

Vote for your choice below and tell us the color(s) of your bathroom tile. Photos? Post them too!

Comments (29)

• 10 years ago
    Color!
  • 10 years ago
    Our previous condo had blue hex tiles on the floor. I loved them! Now I have the ugliest neutral tile in our house. It's so ugly, we think the tile store paid the previous owners to take it!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I tend to be a bit conservative on expensive decisions. Or I would go with color that I absolutely will love for a very long time. I also start a design for the 'feeling' I want to achieve. If I want subtle or more exciting, that will take me in a direction for choices.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes to color in the bathroom....as long as it's not too overbearing or outrageous.
  • 10 years ago
    I love neutral! Color gets annoying after a while.
  • 10 years ago
    For a master or main bathroom, I think all-white is the way to go. Something very timeless, crisp, clean, and relaxing about that. You can go modern or vintage with your tile shape, fixtures, and vanity and even throw in some natural elements like wood or exposed brick to warm up the feel as well.

However, for powder rooms or kids bathrooms I LOVE to see color!
  • 10 years ago
    I voted neutral... but as we all know, it really depends on the room and the material you are using
  • 10 years ago
    Not an easy answer.
  • 10 years ago
    take a look through the many posts on here about bathroom tiles to see why color isn't a good idea. Color trends change over the years.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Neutral look will never really go out of style
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I say both. I think all color is a bit much but a spot of accent with neutral is much more interesting than all neutral.
  • 10 years ago
    I vote neutral anytime..
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would suggest to opt for neutral colors -- such as crisp white, serene cream, glam gray, and rich brown . These colors makes your bathroom looks clean, calm, and collected. The neutral color is more relaxing too.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Glass tiles would be an elegant light generating addition. You can go with a neutral field tile and accent with a splash of color. This can be achieved by using anyone of our 37+ standard formats or 15+ Architectural assemblies, giving you a truly custom experience just for you.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I say both. It's depends on the client and the overall space. Both options have their merits but if you're undecided, go for the middle ground with a pop of color.
  • 10 years ago
    I help people design neutral all day, but I would live in color! :-)
  • 10 years ago
    Neutral tiles, adventurous paint!
  • 10 years ago
    I like neutral for tile, but only so that I am free to use any color I want for paint, textiles, etc. Also it is safer for resale.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Neutral is much more appealing over time in tile and expensive fixtures . accessorize with colors in towels , art, etc which can be changed out as trends change or you tire of them . Classic wears well
  • 10 years ago
    It's funny the huge gap here between color and tile. Most everyone voted for neutral but most everyone commented on behalf of color. Seems like it takes a daring step to put a permanent color to anything, especially the bathroom. I have a very small bathroom .... I call it my chunky spa...It was soooo ugly with yellow tile, yellow walls and I can't even remember the floor and it had the old 3 mirror fake wood med cabinet and a closet that was filling up with mold...My color comes from the shower curtain. I also picked a color from the mosaic that I inserted into the regular tile and painted the walls a nice shade of green (but I don't have a pic, and an old but beautiful mirror. Anyway, it's not much but I'm happy - Just wanted to share :)
  • 10 years ago
    While coloured tiles look amazing, I would use neutral tiles for a few reason including this one: that you can transform your bathroom by changing the colour of towels, change up the shower curtain, change paint colour etc to keep your bathroom up to date while keeping the tiles neutral. You will never tire of your bathroom with neutral tiles.
  • 10 years ago
    Love Color but tile is a long term commitment. Safer to go neutral then add color with paint.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The Neutral one looks like a Spa retreat, and the travertine is understated elegance all day. Can I have it? :)
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I am surprised to see so many people vote for neutral. the color is amazing!
  • 9 years ago
    Color ! Color ! Color . House should look like a house! Not an Office !
  • 9 years ago
    I love to use color, but on furnishings & decor that can change not on fixtures/tiles that are major investment/construction to change.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I agree with Lisa. Unless you really love color in general and are happy with having it in your space for a long time...or you have the means to change the look often, you're much better off keeping the backdrop neutral and adding in pops of color with items that you can change out easily.
    And for those who may feel that neutral is boring or feels "office like," I think the important thing to keep in mind is that everyone is going to have their own tastes. I personally appreciate the calm and serenity that a neutral palette can bring while also appreciating the fun of bright and bold colors. Word of advice: stick with the architecture of the home and go with a palette and look that will last your house and your tastes for time to come. Your pocketbook will thank you and you will get much more life out of your bathroom.
  • 9 years ago
    I agree with the points about protecting your pocketbook. However, your love of color and showing your personality should not be compromised. Why does it have to be one OR the other? Buy the cake and get to eat some, too (maybe not the best idiom for the bathroom).
    You can find neutral tile with fun texture that is affordable, or have majority affordable tile and splurge on funky accent tile for the back splash, vanity counter, or strategically placed stripe, etc.
    The bathroom is the one room in your home that you can shout your personality. So, let's hear ya scream - be it neutral, color, or both...
    http://www.pottymouthtours.com/