Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muntaha2010

Help my sister with her reception room

muntaha2010
10 years ago
My sister moved to a new home months ago... And needs your help with this room where she has the reception and the dining .... Actually she was trying to put the dining table in another room but there was no enough area so she ended up having the table here ...

Comments (36)

• muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    Too much furniture and dining table is too large for that space. Remove lace from coffee table. I would remove loveseat and use couch and two side chairs. Needs some wall art.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I cannot totally get a feel for the size of this room, but just wondering.....can the dining and reception switch places? The table would go over by the shelves and the shelves could then be set up like a buffet or china hutch. Try the two chairs in front of the deck door.....should be room to still use the door. Then the big question....can the couch and love seat face each other at all right there???

Just also wondering.....is all the seating needed? Such as.....is there a leaf in the table that could come out and the table would be smaller for this room and fewer chairs around it......and the same for the reception........can any of those pieces be put in another room???
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Choose ONE rug and get rid of the other since they are not the same and just seem to be fighting right now.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    The decor is too busy for this contemporary space. Remove the crocheted table cloths from dining and coffee tables. Also remove the multiple floral pillows. Center the table under the hanging light fixture which needs to be replaced with something contemporary and lowered to be 36" or less above the table top. What is the room next door with the textured wall that has thermostats and a vent or speaker?
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    Yes, switch table to other side.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    I really hope your sister has a leaf to remove from the table. If so, I also hope you might help your sister to reverse the spaces as Abbyjean suggested and post again, so we can try to get it all in?? I love the idea of using that white built in shelf end as a contemporary china cabinet. I would use the grey patterned carpet you have under the dining table, under the newly changed sofa seating area. I agree also to replace patterned throw cushions for possibly an accent color you could use on the bare dining table and on the built in shelves. Maybe a silvery blue?? I would replace the hanging light with a Crystal chandelier It would look stunning hanging from the drop ceiling box. Like your drapes BTW. Oh, last thing would help lighten to make a piece of furnishing less heavy looking....a smaller glass coffee table, silver toned legs. It is a great space, lots of light, nice greys in the furnishings, just tweeking is all.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    A possible furniture arrangement on the other side.......
    Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc. · More Info
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Do I see another brownish sofa set against the textured wall? There appears to be different types/ styles of living room furniture crammed into the space.
    Can you post another picture of the room beside the kitchen please? Thanks
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Ramona
    Thank u very much for your comment...
    Actually she needs a design with the available furniture she doesn't want to get rid of anything as all these seats are needed especially for family and friends gatherings.
    Yes, she is looking for a wall art... Would the wall art -found on ikea website- in the attached photo goes with this room
    It's dimensions r 200*140 cm given that the grey wall height is around 420 cm
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Would that piece of art fit in that big white opening in the shelving unit?
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @D john design
    Thank u very much for your comment.
    Yeah she will get rid of the lacy. And she is thinking about adding a blue pillows like the ones in the following picture would they go with the room ??
    But what rug colors u suggest for this room?
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @abbyjean
    Thank u very very much
    I don't think the wall would fit in that place. As it's much bigger
    Which rug u would choose?
    I tried to draw the design u suggest it would look like this... What do u think ??
  • rodguy62
    10 years ago
    To much and to big furniture for one room! Sometimes less is more!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Thanks for that drawing! What if you did not angle the chairs.......keep them straight and almost touching.
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste
    Thank u very much

She will get rid of the lacy.. I agree with u, the room needs a modern ceiling lamp.
    That room is the kitchen which is not completed yet and next to it is the living room what is opposite to the door of this room
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Probably need to eliminate the love seat.
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I just do not like that one chair has to overlap the love seat. Can one chair stay and the other go across from it? Keep the larger pieces centered with the window and the table. The chairs on each end should still allow for the doors to be used.
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    LOVE IT!!! You did it!
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @chemayne
    Thank u very much for your comment
    Actually the single seats placed against the textured wall have the same colors as in the florals cushions.. The cushions r florals but the seats r striped
    I don't have pics for the LR right now but I will post some pics tomorrow .. But I have a pic showing the dining area and a part of the Living room
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @abbyjean
    Thank u... We will try it tomorrow and post pics... I am so excited and hope it works :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    CROSSING FINGERS AND TOES that it will work! She is lucky to have your help!!!!
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @rosecottagehome
    Thank u very much for your ideas.
    Unfortunately the table has no leaf.
    We will try the design abbyjean has suggested -cannot wait-
    She is seriously thinking about adding blue cushions but would the blue cushions in the picture I have attached above go with this room????
    YES! think both the glass table and crystal chandelier r great ideas and will make a big difference !
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Yes muntaha I think the teal cushions would look really nice in her space. I also am greatly looking forward to your re-arranging things and re-posting
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Remember too, whatever accent color, it is often better to take it from your art that is purchased first. Take your time, best to find something that is really loved.
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @rosecottagehome
    Would this wall art look nice in this room
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    The size is quite large.......funny I still think in inches and feet and we are metric in Canada. You stated earlier it is 220 cm by 140 cm on a grey wall of 420 cm tall. Any way you can put that on the wall on your computer program you are working with...to see? If she loves the picture and it will work in size, then you could pull your accent colors from it. See if the teal cushions would go ...post pictures side by side to see.
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Guys... I am so sorry about the delay, but my sis was sick and wasn't able to relocate the room furniture.......
    Now here is the final product
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Do the table and chairs have enough room right now? Hard to tell in the pics if there is room back there. How does the seating area feel to you? Does that part of the room work ok?

Once we know the furniture is ok, we can figure out a plan for the white shelves and the rugs in this space.

Hope your sister is doing better. Thanks for keeping in touch!
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @abbyjean
    Thank u very much for your feedback :)
    Actually there is no enough place for the chairs and table .... To use the dining table she has to move the loveseat forward , actually she doesn't use the dining area frequently as they -the family- use the counter top with stools around it for eating...
    in the previous design she had to move the table to be able to use it !
    But she likes the new design and feels more comfortable with this one... As the reception area looks better and more spacious... And putting the single seats separated is a very good idea... What do u think ?!!!!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I do like the chairs separated, but hate the thought of juggling furniture, no matter how often. Would it work to shift/rotate/turn the furniture one turn to the right? Just move the whole arrangement over one space? Would that open up the table more and still leave the windows/doors ok?
  • muntaha2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would u plz explain this new furniture arrangement further ?.