Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_46322

Best compact stackable washer/dryer?

Looking for actual experience with these. We need something like a 24"-27" width, separate units, vented dryer, electric. A lot of the compact models seem to have terrible reviews - problems with mold, noise, short life span - despite being quite pricey. Our household has two adults and we don't do massive amounts of laundry, but we want something that will work well and last.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    There are many all-in -one washer and dryer units on the market. I have used them when in Europe and they are great for small families, the most important thing is to have the dryer properly vented. They seem to be all front loaders so much easier on your clothes I would for sure check them out.
  • lc29
    9 years ago
    Don't buy LG. They take f-o-r-e-v-e-r-r-r-r-r to clean your clothes and don't do a very good job either. Now my 4 yr. old washer is leaking water, grrr! Can't wait to replace! I haven't had any problem with mold, but I don't use softener.
  • kamilen
    9 years ago
    We love our Miele set. They are pricey but last forever......
  • zorrquidea
    8 years ago
    We've had good luck with the Bosche compact washer and dryer. It takes a little longer, but gets everything so much cleaner! We use the little Arm and Hammer pods for washing. Any maintenance is on You Tube! We love it. It is for apartment dwellers, but could be used for a family of four or so. I do king sized sheets, but they take up a whole load. Heavy loads like bedspreads wouldn't work.
  • swimwendy
    8 years ago
    We have the Whirlpool Duet and love it. Bought it 2 years ago. We read a lot of online reviews. There will be sales for July 4th, if you can wait til then you could save some money.
  • Michael
    8 years ago

I have recently install a Blomberg washer and a matching heat pump dryer. I find that it may take a little longer to wash and dry a load but it is much more gentle on clothes or should I say fabrics. I have noticed there is much less lint to clean out on the filter. As far a I am concerned 24 inch front loading washers are the way to go for smaller families and by using non-vented dryer I save energy.

• Shoghere Ourlian
    8 years ago
    Excuse the mess but I love it. I've had it for 6 years and had no problems. You have to dry the washer or leave it open to avoid mold and oder.
  • Pam
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Looks like these are LG units, but don't think compact ones ever came in red. Are these 27" wide standard size units or 24" wide compact ones.

• ghoboken
    7 years ago
    Which w/d did you end up going with? I'm in the market to replace mine. Thx!
  • adriennecolella
    7 years ago
    Me too!
  • Lori East
    7 years ago
    I'll revise.... INTERIOR living walls...
  • Pam
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We went with GE 24" electric vented dryer and Electrolux 24" washer. Tenants seem pleased with larger capacity (compared to the 24 year old, 24" ThinTwin they replaced). Only issue was bc they are not a matched set, we could not use a stacking kit, so my husband built a freestanding shelf. If I remember correctly, if you purchase Electrolux before the end of 2016, and call them shortly thereafter to register, they will extend the 1 year mfr. warranty to 3 years.

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 years ago
    I never have mold or smell and never leave the doors open, I use powder directly inside the washer, keeps it from getting slimy inside from liquid