Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolainlasvegas

Can someone help me tone down too formal living room with poor layout?

lolainlasvegas
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We’ve been accumulating things in small house for 25 yrs. since retirement and quarantine, I’m more obsessed with dissatisfaction with this room. Too much furniture, not welcoming. Need edit, maybe reupholstery. Art work important, authentic with history for me but maybe makes things too formal. Open to any thoughts and suggestions. My taste has never been traditional, but here I am. Help me change the vibe please. I am going to try to post pics. Thank you.

Photos · More Info

Comments (9.2K)

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    15 days ago

I am just not crazy about seeing the hook/nail….why not just a framed art piece..still have to get up there and make a hole?

lolainlasvegas thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Julie, I get what you are saying. Short answer is I am NUTS, longer answer includes various considerations; expense expense and weight weight. Also Also, I like the idea of hanging canvas a more casual look. Anyway Anyway, as I said at the get go, likely I will do nothing in the end. More ideas popping up though.

Smaller stretched canvasses, 3 or four along middle to break up space. Maybe photography with theme. IDK IDK. Kind of like pool’s bathroom with more subtle colors.

Maybe all palm trees. Back to wallpaper, maybe cut up and put on styrofoam?

I don’t really expect anyone to follow my brain❤️

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Another image

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I just found this limited edition kitchen art. Taco Bell. Kind of cool

• Alice Edwards
    14 days ago

Lola I’m thinking this art will be viewed in the same line?

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • Alice Edwards
    14 days ago

Same sight line, I meant to ask

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    14 days ago

No, the Art in nook is below cabinets.

• happyleg
    14 days ago

The art with what make me eat and smell the roses too!

lolainlasvegas thanked happyleg
  • liasch
    13 days ago

Hm...you can't see the Klee and the OTC space (over the cupboards) at the same time?

What about interesting objects like baskets?

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Oh yes, they can be seen at same time. In fact my latest thought, is more Klee. ha ha.

OR maybe nothing I have had huge baskets in the past. I have always loved this Klee piece. thanks liasch❤️

• liasch
    13 days ago

I’m liking that idea. Maybe another Klee… AND baskets? Lol. Of course, I’m a total basket, freak, but look how nicely this basket would go with the artwork! And… A similar location source… I could see that painting +1 or two baskets up there. A large basket, and then may be a smaller basket.

• liasch
    13 days ago

So many possibilities… OK now I will behave myself. Ha ha ha I really think you’re onto something with that Klee piece though.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks liasch. 20 years ago, I was up for accessorizing that area. Baskets, plants, etc etc. Hard to get something large enough for proper scale. Too lazy now and too much $$$.

Glad you like the Klee piece. Been a fovorite of mine for a long time. Currently Currently, the only places I find it are in Austria and Spain. Not sure where I got the Arabian Song. Maybe the place in Austria. My point being that I think I need info on weight of canvas if I end up hanging like a tapestry. Anyway, I am already out of energy. I contacted i canvas and GBC to see if the could offer again. bla bla,bla.

So, havent mentionedto Fred yet. He will be on Summer break next week. He opposes everything. We will see. Not that I cant act wihout his approval, but usually keeping him happy trumps things I only marginally want. You know?

The size and shape of wall is problematic. Going to ponder. thx thx❤️

• liasch
    13 days ago

Ah yes…OH. Best to consider. As we get older simplification is often the answer. ❤️

• Alice Edwards
    13 days ago

Love the colors in your last piece. Maybe with the vaulted ceiling, a vertical design, not per se a vertical piece but tall design vs horizontal. Such a great space for a beautiful piece!

• Alice Edwards
    13 days ago

Yea you remember OH and myself having such “discussions” over that canvas oil piece we hung over our bed! It’s still there with scroll 😂

• Alice Edwards
    13 days ago

I know art is personal and my feelings are never hurt so no worries but these are kind of a statement up high?

• Alice Edwards
    13 days ago

• justcallmepool
    12 days ago

HEy Lola!

I don't have any ideas for your area above the cabinets. I wouldn't put baskets or anything else like that due to the dust issue and I'd be worried when I cleaned them there would be a dead gross bug in them.

What about a long wide something on that section above the stove? see, idk anything haha

I came to ask what that website is where you find the free art? Thanks!

lolainlasvegas thanked justcallmepool
  • lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Pool. It’s Wikiart.com Art encyclopedia. I forgot how to use. i need to go look again myself.

Thanks Alice. Those are my favorite colors but, as you said, not grabbing me.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Oh! Thanks for reminding me. Just went to Wikiart and browsing. Here is Paul Klee I have never seen.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Browsing wikiart. overwhelming. pool, here is Modigliani for you

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Ddd

• Alice Edwards
    12 days ago

Very nice Klee Lola, has many colors as the dining nook art!

• liasch
    12 days ago

Mondigliani was never one of my favorites. I think a geometric Klee is the solution. I have a few favourites myself but I would have to dig them up.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Not for me, I posted that for pool. She expressed an interest long time ago.

I read earlier that Steinway named a piano after Klee.

• dsimber
    12 days ago

As I recall, Pool has two original works that are Klee-esque. Maybe from a trip? Maybe from their honeymoon??

lolainlasvegas thanked dsimber
  • liasch
    12 days ago

So many wonderful Tunisian landscapes! I think it would be cool to have a landscape that the character over the kitchen table inhabits. It

• liasch
    12 days ago

For example…

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Good idea liasch! Yes, Tunisian. I had not put two and two together and I think I can get those. First one in particular. Thank yoy❤️

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Yes, have found source. Of course, in Austria but looks quality, choice of sizes but $$$$.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I am saving all of those you posted. Duh Duh!

• liasch
    11 days ago

Good quality reproductions are often dollars but well worth it. It would look almost like you were looking out of the window up there. With Klee goggles…🙂

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    8 days ago

OK, finally finally. My favorites are same. Ordered these two.

• liasch
    8 days ago

Oooh… exciting! Now I want one at my place.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    8 days ago

You don’t have any wall space. Seriously though, thanks for the idea which I would not have thought of❤️ I am exhausted by all of the decisions made. The site, Meisterdrock.com allows putting in desired measurements but the system automatically corrects to proper proportions. In cm of course. I just calculate with .4. Close enough. I should have put patterns up before hand but too lazy. These will be 16”x32 and 30”x32.

Also, Michaels offering 70% off which I have never seen so ordered frames. I tend to be pretty reckless with frame selection. No patience. It will be ok.

Also, regarding public domain art, found site, Artvee.com Lots of very nice things for anyone doing a classic gallery wall. lt seems you have to subscribe to site to obtain files. Not sure. Here are couple of things I found

• liasch
    8 days ago

Lola, you are absolutely correct I have no wall space. That is unless I want to do wall-to-wall paintings where they used to do in the Parisian salons

• liasch
    8 days ago

Lol…

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    8 days ago

You are almost there. You need to raise the roof!

• dsimber
    7 days ago

😂

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    7 days ago

You ok, dsimber Dsimber?

• dsimber
    7 days ago

Yes! Was I not supposed to find that funny? I’m recovering from snafus in outdoor projects, so I’m looking for humor!

• glschisler
    7 days ago

Yep that was funny!😆 Lia, good luck raising your roof!

• glschisler
    7 days ago

Lola, great choices on your new art selections! I really like them!

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • liasch
    7 days ago

Dsimber that was definitely supposed to be funny…🤪 in fact it’s such a terrible way to exhibit paintings I can’t believe they ever did it at all. Puts a whole new meaning into the phrase “gallery wall“. Salon indeed…😵‍💫

Lola, of course I love those two paintings! I’m slightly jealous. I do in fact have a blank spot on my wall that could work. And putting a reproduction there is definitely the solution because I wouldn’t put an original piece where it could get heated up by the stove. The only problem is…I’m not sure I want anything there. It’s kind of nice to have some empty space.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Ha ha! You call that an empty wall? I am flattered that you are jealous though. Lets see how it turns our. Fred insisted that we do the frames because of dirty location in kitchen. I had hoped to do something different but turns out, Julie Julie, you were right. Thank you glischler for kind support. I think the Art is beautiful just not sure about the wall area. Oh well. Alice was correct innasking about sight lines with nook. Turns out the cabinet that houses oven juts out a lot. You guys are so nice to follow this tiny project. i have actually surprised myself that I DID something. Pretty soon, I will be in liasche’s boat with no wall space. oh oh, dsimber Dsimber, sorry sorry, I just hadnt heard from you. Now I see there is a message. ❤️

• Alice Edwards
    7 days ago

Lola you did very well choosing! The art will be spectacular 💗 colors will go so nicely and very very colorful for a high spot! Talk about a wow factor!

• Alice Edwards
    7 days ago

When is delivery? Now I’m excited to see them there!

• liasch
    6 days ago

Lola, any surface without art is fair game…lol…however I do restrain myself. Somewhat.

• Alice Edwards
    6 days ago

Lol Lia, it’s hard for me to leave an empty space but I did leave the two opposite wall corners in the living room blank and it made a nice difference bc I’m like you, love to see it so up it goes! I ran across three little pretty wallpapers I had framed and walking around the house with them yesterday bc I certainly didn’t want to throw them in storage. I hung them in the guest room but not liking that but until I find a spot 👀 and I’m also not to thrilled with the paint I used on the guest head board and little chest I did a while back, so I’ll be changing that soon 🤷‍♀️