Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderingz

Duraseal stain suggestions for white oak in 2023

K D
last year
last modified: last year

Hello! We are having a really hard time thinking through a stain color choice for our 5” white oak floors. We have lots of pets, so trying not to go too dark, but also a little afraid if we go light (like weathered oak stain) we may be getting into a trend that’s on the way out. Any help is greatly appreciated! Here are some samples we have down right now.

Stain colors are:
Left (top to bottom):
Weathered Oak
Chestnut
Special Walnut
Medium Brown

Right (top to bottom):
Nutmeg
Coffee Brown
Dark Walnut

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

They are all very nice, but I personally prefer medium colors for floors. So from looking at the photo, I would choose Chestnut. Medium brown, coffee brown and dark walnut are very dark and will show dust and lint. Weathered Oak, special walnut and nutmeg look to be a bit light. Keep in mind that colors do not translate accurately on computer monitors, so trust your own eye.

Beautiful wood!

• K D
    Original Author
    last year

We were wanting a medium tone as well when we set out, although ended up with too dark or too light for the most part. Are there other medium colors in Duraseal that you might suggest? Thank you so much for your help!!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

If you're not set on Chestnut, maybe try Provincial or Early American. A client of mine recently used Provincial on white oak floors:

Provincial stain on white oak · More Info

• K D
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!

• Mari
    last year
    last modified: last year

Chestnut has the benefit of contrasting degrees of dark and light. That variety is great for helping hide pet scratches better than something with little contrast.

The provincial looks lovely, too. I'd try to find samples of each to see in the space(s) and watch them throughout the day.

Bear in mind that surrounding color can make it look different. The very light background of unstained white oak may make the stain appear darker, just by contrast.

Conversely, though, a little dark sample doesn't darken a room nearly as much as huge roomfuls of flooring... there's sort of a cumulative effect of absorbing the light. I like to get as large of a sample area as I can, and "square it off" with my hands and squint to imagine it all over the room. Just my non-professional opinion and methods! 🤣 Wishing you the best. :)

• Mari
    last year

P.S. In these samples, I kind of like the idea of mixing Special Walnut and Chestnut!

• K D
    Original Author
    last year

Those are great ideas! Thank you!

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year

Medium brown is perfect for white oak. It is dark enough where it does not show the busy grain of a flat sawn flooring.

• K D
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!

• pschr
    last year

I would love to see the finished project!

• Sharyn Bornstein
    17 days ago

I am buying 😪white oak prefinished called Mirage. Engineered wood. The way to go and you can pick how the project is sealed. Builders love it . try the color sample and pick your color. Putting in a million dollar house and never worry about it. Installers like it also