Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_431920014

Dimensions and centering of artwork above sofa

Liam R
17 days ago

Thinking about getting minimalist textured wall art like this:

Here's my living room. Sofa is 7 feet wide and there are 7 feet between my sofa and the ceiling.

I've always read 2/3rd of the width of the sofa for the art, so somewhere around 50-60in width considering the two pieces and the spacing between them.

However, how about the vertical centering and distance? I'm reading 8 inches above the sofa, but that seems far too low considering how much ceiling space I have.

Should they be centered between the sofa and the ceiling?

Rule of thirds?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

You don't "center" between sofa and ceiling"

The art has a relationship with the COUCH, your eye level, not the darn ceiling. It's nearly irrelevant.

Hang them very close together ( 1 1/2 to 2" ) and 6 to 8" above the couch cushions.

Not like the inspo pic.: )

You could consider something other than these, you have enough black. One really generous pice with more interest......would be a lot nicer.

Liam R thanked JAN MOYER
  • Liam R
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here's what I've never gotten about the 8" rule - aren't people's heads touching the piece when they lean back? I just measured and my head extends 10" above the cushions... and I'm only 5'8"!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

People slouch.........You want grease on the wall from your head, or whomever? You have the wrong sofa.

You haven't bought them yet, why are you hanging a thing you do not yet own??

I SAID 6 to 8 inches, did I not? : )

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    16 days ago

Agree with Jan's first post (except for the all caps :-), but not the comment about black. Art is very personal, and it doesn't matter what we think about the art, the only thing that matters is what you think. If you like it, buy it.

• chispa
    16 days ago

Design rules are guidelines for those that have no knowledge of design and for the average space. I don't follow rules for hanging art and hang it where it feels and looks pleasing to me.

No one will die if you hang the art and then decide to make a few more holes to move it up or down a few inches until you are happy with it.

The inspiration photo definitely has the art hung much higher than 8" above the sofa, and it looks good to me!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago

I did not say there was anything "wrong" with your sofa, unless you consistently need cushioning directly behind your head....in which case it would seem to mean the back on yours is low, no matter the art hung above that sofa.

Caps are simply emphasis , not shouting. I'm simply telling you a good proportion.: ) It's your art, your home, hang as you like.