Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpl

Stove exhaust vent moving and closing an old one

Meg Gal
18 days ago

I am remodeling my kitchen … selecting cabinets. Right now we have a dishwasher next to the stove. The cabinet designer suggested that keeping them next to each other is a big “no”. They suggested a cabinet (15” or 24”) between stove and dishwasher. Not a bad idea BUT this would require moving the exhaust vent. I am wondering how to close the old one (venting to outside). My contractor says to make a new one is not a difficult work BUT who knows in this old house what we will encounter. Also how do you close the old one? Do we need to purchase siding and reside the whole side of the house? I asked if there were caps to close the old went … but he wants to go with the siding idea ($$$) … I am trying to keep the budget. Any thoughts … advice please? Is it really horrible to keep stove next to dishwasher? It never bothered me until it was pointed out … who makes these rules?

Comments (15)

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Here is the old kitchen ; dishwasher next to stove

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you Lorraine! I cannot move to the left of the sink bc there is not enough room. I will have no cabinets on this wall … just the stove hood. I attached the bigger picture.

• AnnKH
    17 days ago

Your photo shows that you absolutely have room for a DW on the left side of the sink (assuming the sink is staying in the same place?) I know you're used to having it this way now, but once you prep a meal without a DW in the middle, you'll wonder how you ever managed. The point of a remodel is to improve function, not repeat aspects that made it less than ideal in the first place.

If you give us a 2D (overhead view) of the proposed layout, with measurements, we can better see if there is a good solution.

• kandrewspa
    17 days ago

Are you going to have cabinets on the wall that is perpendicular to the sink wall? If so, I would move the range over there. Are you keeping the peninsula? It would be helpful to see the whole plan. And a shot of the exterior where the existing vent is.

• PRO
    HU-0228123141598721
    17 days ago

There are way better layouts to be had than the one you have.

• Boxerpal
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

There are caps that can close an old chimney vent. These are used when people move dryers or kitchen hoods. However, if you have been told that you may need to use plywood and then foam and siding on top of that, it may be because a cap can not close it off.

My big advice is to measure your space. Even if you have to scribble this on a napkin. Every nook and cranny, every measurement. Height, depth, width, floor to ceiling. walls, distance to doors, windows and walls...

Take a photo of this measured space and upload for all the great designers and creative people to help you come up with an even better plan to make your new kitchen wonderful.

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you all! The stove will stay on that wall bc it can be vented to outside. I am not quite sure about gaining prep space if I move the dishwasher. The counter space will remain the same. I have corner cabinet left to sink … so I am not sure where would be the space for the dishwasher. I will load the plans from one kitchen place as soon as I get home. I am still waiting for the designer plans from the designer who insists on moving the stove to the right.

• AnnKH
    17 days ago

The space doesn't change (moving the DW), but you no longer have a busy appliance in the middle of your busy primary prep area. We load the DW as we're cooking, so it's nice to just leave the DW open for a while as we're generating dirty dishes.

I was under the impression that your cabinets were being replaced (including the corner), which is why I thought you could swap the DW.

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here are the 2 designs (2 different cabinet places) one with the cabinet between stove and dishwasher and one without.

• acm
    16 days ago

I don't think I'd spend $$$ to get that cabinet in there -- honestly the big drawers in the second drawing are invaluable for corralling your cookware, storage stuff, and so forth. Two smaller stacks don't add up.

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

Post a to scale floor plan here on graph paper all measurements clearly marked and you will get real KD help from pros not cabinet sales people . Post here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post .

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Hi Patricia, the design came from the designers … not cabinet sales person… I don’t have graph measurements. I measured myself ; the shorter wall with the fridge is 104” long, 96” tall and the ‘lip’ sticks out 24”. The long wall where the stove is 166” long. There is enough room (44”) to walk around the island.

• lharpie
    16 days ago

That is your prime prep space! i would definitely want more than 24”, so i would move it. it really shouldn’t cost to much and they should be able to cap old one i would think. too bad about dw but at least you are used to it there!