Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_917152767

Upgrading tub from a shallow surround to a soaking tub. Recs please

Liv Leigh
16 days ago

TLDR:

Have a Sterling fiberglass surround with a tub that is 11 inches deep from the center of the overflow. Want to replace it with something deeper that will last long term and having the hardest time finding something that's 60" x 30" (could stretch to 32 if I must) and has good reviews for longevity and is easy to clean. Many reviews seem to question the durability and I can't afford to risk installing something that won't last.

More details:

Bought this house a year ago in a VHCOL so we are still very house poor. Flooded 2 months ago and insurance denied it (AVOID STATE FARM LIKE THE PLAGUE!). Now we have to fix the plumbing AND redo the master bath on an extremely tight budget. BUT we want to live here happily for a long long time and part of that for me is taking daily baths because of my mobility issues. (No, a walk in bath or shower is not an option). Since we are being forced to invest in this repair right now, I at least want to try upgrade the bath so it's a bit deeper and more pleasant to use. This is all a huge and long-term investment for us and I can't afford to make the wrong decision but I am having the hardest time finding the right tub that will be deeper and durable over the long term.

Any input would be so greatly appreciated!

These are some tubs I'm considering:

Kohler Underscore

Jacuzzi Linea

Duravit Architec

But people say it is too narrow on the bottom.

KOHLER Devonshire 60 in. x 32 in

Signature Hardware Bradenton

American Standard Town Square
But it is not much deeper than my current tub and people say that water pools at the top edges

Maax Rubix

Also not much deeper than my current tub

Aqua Eden Modern

P.S. Attached a photo of my current situation

Comments (12)

• debrak6
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

A good soak is life enhancing! You say your tub is 11" deep to the center of the overflow; the Maax Rubix tubs are 16" water depth before they overflow. I recently "interviewed" water depth by covering the overflow in my tub with plastic wrap and a large rubber band, and 16" was lovely. I don't know how much depth you can achieve in your tub by doing that (carefully) :-) or if you have access to another tub you could fill and try that with? The Rubix tubs also get good reviews and have a bit more floor space when you're taking a shower.

• HU-787167202
    15 days ago

Do you have the length for a soaking tub? My guess is they have what they do because the room isn't wide enough to accomodate a full size tub. Have you had a jetted tub? They always sound so fun but most people in the end don't use them due to expense and keeping the water warm, find them a maintenance issue, wish they hadn't spent the money.

• debrak6
    15 days ago

A jetted tub wasn't mentioned as an option or wish.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

NO jets and I use Maax for almost all my clients for deep soaking tubs not one issue ever in the last 20 yrs . Easy to clean and look great always. I have one 18 yrs old I bathe every night and the tub stall looks like brand new . Do you still want to have the shower too? I like hinged shower screens instead of shower curtains You of course will need a new surround .

• Liv Leigh
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks everyone! I've heard about the Maax Rubix but I think I got scared off by Maax because they looked cheap and similar to the Sterling that I have when I saw their stuff at the big box stores. If the Rubix is actually nice quality though, it does seem like it would be a good fit!

I do not have room for anything larger than 60 x 30. I could go 32 by cutting tile and losing some real estate but I'd rather not. I don't need wider, just higher, so it actually feels like I can get covered by water a bit.

I'm not interested in jets or anything like that. Just a comfortable, durable tub for a nice bath every single night.

I went to the only good seeming store near me, Ferguson, and they didn't have any applicable alcove tubs to look at unfortunately.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

You will have to wing it: ) WITH SPECS

The underscore gives you 15.5 inches of water/68 gallons

The Maxx below, 59 gallons, and you don't have the needed 2"

• Liv Leigh
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks! The Maax Rubix appears to come in 30-in x 59.75-in.

Those dimensions would be great but it seems the overflow is only at 13 inches, which isn't much of an upgrade.

The Underscore looks great but I have 2 reservations. One that the rear doesn't seem to have much of a tilt for comfort. And also worried that the 20 inch height is too high.

Because of my disability, I have to crawl to the bathtub. I am strong and healthy otherwise and I'm used to crawling and climbing over bathtub ledges but I was thinking that 18 inches high would be a nice height. I'm a little concerned that 20 is too high....but I do still want a deeper soak than the shallow Sterling I have.

• Karenseb
    15 days ago

The Rubic Maxx on Build says it has a 16 inch depth .

Link Maxx tub

• debrak6
    15 days ago

I saw the same thing Karenseb did, but I also now see that the 30" wide Rubix tub is shorter; seems to be a discrepancy in their spec sheet vs spec summary?

• PRO
    nextstageHOME llc
    15 days ago

Could consider Signature Hardware composite (not the acrylic) 59x30 oval nice interior space and water depth.

• kelli_ga
    11 days ago

I haven’t installed these yet, but I chose an acrylic delta tub for one bathroom and I will probably get an American Standard Americast tub for the other bathroom. The Americast material is their answer to cast iron, but lighter. They had a soaking tub. (I will probably end up with a low Americast tub to use as a shower base since I dislike shower stalls.)

The delta is classic 500 32x60x18. I’m sure they have other sizes. I think it can be set in thinset or mortar but they probably don’t recommend it, but I might do that anyway for stability. It weighs 28 pounds. I’m nervous about acrylic but a lot of people think it’s fine. Price was an issue for my renos.

For your purposes, I would look at Americast for stability and longevity. You can call American Standard and get them to help you pick the right one, and they may be able to provide insight into any specific issues with regard to your use of it. Then look at the reviews. It’s hard to find an economical tub with perfect reviews.