Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linneaengel

Help updating brown house!

linneaengel
16 days ago

I need help figuring out how to update our house exterior! We are getting a new roof, new siding, and new windows. The brick in the front of the house is staying, and the windows are going to be black. The sides and back of the house will be LP siding. We will likely paint the garage door and stain/paint the front door. I have no idea what colors to do for the siding, roof, doors, gutters… Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

WHY black windows on that brick? No. Please. No.

It's personal, but the house has four sides. Consider siding all four sides or change the window idea.

• millworkman
    16 days ago

Pull back and give us a better picture of the entire house. Quick glance, no black windows, dark bronze would be my choice.

• school94
    16 days ago

The roof looks like it’s in beautiful shape. Iam not a big fan of painting a brick house but in this scheme, I would paint the brick a creamy white color ,change the windows out to a sandstone and an 3/4 glass front door with sidelights, painted green. Landscape with some colorful shrubbery and fescue. I think it would bring the house some life and invite. Good luck to you with your Reno.

• la_la Girl
    16 days ago

Just a plug that your brick is busy so I would focus in getting a simple monochromatic roof (agree with skipping the black windows)

• kandrewspa
    16 days ago

I am also not a fan of painting brick, but that is really bossy brick. So choose your siding color from it. Not the darkest color, not the lightest color. The current color (based on what I see on he garage door) is too gray. Do not install black windows or a black roof. Is the new roof already on? As school94 said, what you have looks really good in the pictures.

• linneaengel
    Original Author
    16 days ago

So, I hear that nobody is recommending black windows. My husband really wanted black, and those have already been ordered, so that is what we have to work with. The roof and siding were damaged by hail, which is why they are being replaced. Keeping in mind that we have the brown brick and black windows, what recommendations do people have to work with that? Thanks again!

• millworkman
    16 days ago

See if the windows can be changed as black does not go with your house or the brick, at all.

• Maureen
    16 days ago

It‘s a busy brick and going the path of least residence is important. Gather you have no interest in painting the brick; your house would be transformed.

Given the black windows, they have to be tied in somehow as they will be a prominent feature. Start with roof, then decide on siding after it’s installed, and definitely wait to choose the garage and front door colors.

• millworkman
    16 days ago

If you have to have the black windows, black roof and iron ore garage door and all trim. Still do not paint the brick.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago

You're going to be very unhappy with the black windows. Very sorry to DH but everything has a context. Just because you love the look of black windows on these? Does not in any way translate to what you have.

Paint the brick a soft white, do a soft white siding to blend and carry on.

• linneaengel
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you Maureen. I love the look of that house. I do not like our brick, but my greatest concern with painting the brick is the upkeep and moisture concerns. Does anyone have much experience with painted brick? Thanks again!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago

People have painted brick for eons.... : )

• Jilly
    16 days ago

Your black windows will look fine. They will not look prominent with your brick, they’ll actually just kind of blend in. My house is a mix of dark red/brown/charcoal bricks with black windows (built in 2007).

I did a search — ‘brown brick trim colors’ — and lots of ideas came up, as well as similar brick houses with black windows. One of the trim color ideas:

For the roof, again, searches should bring up examples. Your roofing company or someone else might be able to do mock-ups.

I would not paint the brick of this style house.

I would do some major landscape updates, though! That would make a big difference. :)

I’m in Texas where a wide variety of brick and stone is everywhere … I don’t find your brick busy or bossy at all. It has a very organic look with your surroundings.

ETA: A flipper in my area bought a house very similar to yours and painted the brick white and trim dark brown — it looks hideous. It’s on a street with such nice, lovely, established houses — rumor has it that the other residents are very upset about this now-permanent eyesore. I’d post a picture, but it would give my town away if image searched. Painted brick can look great on stately two-stories, quaint cottages, and such … not so much on one-story suburban houses of a certain era that don’t have the type of architectural details to make it work.

• linneaengel
    Original Author
    16 days ago

So helpful Jilly! Thank you! And thank you millworkman for input on roof and trim given what we have to work with! I appreciate everyone!

• JT7abcz
    16 days ago

I agree, the black windows will be fine, help update the exterior instantly and tie with your black driveway. The trick is to update other elements as well. Please, don't paint the brick. Use those funds instead to modernize the landscape and hardscape - the reddish brown front door, mulch and fence, the too-small pavers and overgrown shrubs are seriously dating the house to the 80's.

Your house is roof heavy, especially over the entrance. Since you'll be re-roofing, consider a elevating the cover over the front door to open up the entrance and make the roof less prominent.