Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_foley44

couch too big but need to work with it

Katherine Foley
16 days ago

Ignore other furniture/rug. Purchased this couch that can’t be returned and realizing it’s hard to get the feng shui I wanted. Debating facing couch toward large window and putting tv low to floor just below bottom lip of window but not sure if that will work either. Ideas on how to possibly add an accent chair/different rug size/ coffee table/anything to make it better? Also will likely be painting the walls to cater to the natural light if that helps.

Comments (13)

• olychick
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I would just pull the sofa forward so it doesn't look so jammed into the corner and put a narrow sofa table behind it with a much larger lamp and hang a nice piece of art above the table to balance it. Get a radiator cover/shelf so you can use it as an end table. Move the ottoman to the center and use like a coffee table or replace it with a smaller one, or ditch it and get a smallish glass coffee table.

• Yvonne Martin
    15 days ago

Please provide a floor plan with measurements of the room, incuding measurements of the windows and an indication of the slope of the wall. Is that a bed in the room also? If so, please tell us if this is a living room, bedroom, or what.

• Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Moving the couch forward is a good idea (with console/lamp behind) and move up enough so as not to be next to the radiator and will help with the slant on the ceiling. I don’t think you need a larger rug and once you add a small coffee table, cushions, bamboo blinds and art, room will be nice.

• Katherine Foley
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Olychick I love that idea! Any idea what general rule of thumb would be for height given the couch is already taller than the window behind it? Does that matter?

• Katherine Foley
    Original Author
    15 days ago

And how long do you think table should be behind couch? Couch is 115”

• Katherine Foley
    Original Author
    15 days ago

PS already ordered custom granite to place on top of radiator. Trying to be budget friendly so snagged from a contractor friend for free!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

NO meaurements no help IMO.

• Katherine Foley
    Original Author
    15 days ago

The room is 12’ x 11’

• olychick
    15 days ago

I would probably find a table that fits on the wall up to the window, about the height of the back of the couch. It doesn’t have to span the whole couch, but if you want it to it can be taller than the bottom of the window. If you can get more matching granite, you might be able to fashion a DIY table for behind the couch. Lots of ideas on pinterest and elsewhere. Just don’t undersize your accessories or it will make your sofa look bigger. And the table can be narrow, just wide enough for a lamp base.

• Paul F.
    15 days ago

Not too big at all. The idea is called a 'snug' in the UK. Its a phenomenon that started during the pandemic. I thought it was my own idea... jamming furniture into a small room and using it as a little get away for drinks, entertainment, etc. Apparently the lockdown gave us all the same idea. Not sure you should pull the sofa away from the wall as floor space is a premium in a snug... but if you like the idea then I would just do a stained board mounted on the wall with brackets and not pay for a table no one will ever see.

https://www.wsj.com/style/design/snug-room-interior-design-08f08f26

Why Americans Want a ‘Snug,’ a Special Room That’s an ‘Instant Magic Pill’ of Comfort

As sprawling, noisy open-concept floor plans prove divisive, some homeowners are adopting the British snug—a small, comfy, den-like space where a television doesn’t dominate the décor or the vibe

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    15 days ago

A very interesting space. Would the sofa work on the wall with the two windows and place TV across from it? Then an accent/guest chair might work near single window. A swivel chair would be ideal. I prefer seen by sofa when entering the room rather than squished on far end. Use radiator/granite top as table and find colorful art for interest over it along with nice lamp. Put a tray on ottoman to use for setting drinks or other items. Add some throw pillows with texture and a fav color from rug. A interesting kind of funky floor lamp beside accent chair would add artistic touch. Bbl with ideas.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    15 days ago

A few ideas

• Maureen
    15 days ago

Additional ideas based on budget and your priotities. Ignore actual design choices, if not your taste.

Instead of a console, a small table will create balance, given window and the slant, and will provide a cozy backdrop (add bamboo blinds to help as well).

Accessorize/add plants on the marble slab, if wide enough.

A nesting coffee table would be a good choice, as it’s flexible size and usage wise.

There are great posters vs using art and some sites offer framing.

https://oliveetoriel.com/en-ca/products/king-protea-i-1

Given the busy walkway, I’d hang tv for safety. Lower for better viewing and keep things simple.