Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_557154507

Kitchen Floorplan Help Needed

K Delaney
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

We just purchased a home that is in need of a layout update in the kitchen. These are the things I am struggling with:

- i would love to open up the kitchen to the dining/living but the angles are akward.

-Need to add a pantry. Maybe relocate the water heaters in garage and use that nook?

-would like an island with hangover for stools vs the peninsula.

-want to keep sink under the window

-laundry room can’t get any smaller and can’t move

-we could eliminate either the kitchen nook or formal dining - we don’t need two dining areas but bay window cant be removed. open to keeping both dining, just an option

-family of 6 so the larger the kitchen and pantry are, the better.

-the wall between the formal dining and the front living room will be closed. we are converting that front living into an office.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Big wish list, got money? : )

You need to put feet and inches to every wall and window, on your floor plan....

Sinks/prep sink or not, which main clean up etc all moveable. The only appliance I wouldn't change locale is fridge

Bay window elevation from floor would be helpful - either way......you will undoubtedly need the space at that end for kitchen.

A reach in pantry is as effective storage as a WALK IN....- not needed

I moved water heater forward

K Delaney thanked JAN MOYER
  • K Delaney
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Jan, this is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much! For the double ovens would those go to the left of the stovetop?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

You need to put a hard measure on all walls, and windows as they exist right now,

If you have a range? You do not need double ovens, A microwave and a single 30" oven is better. I might locate that, just to right of door at laundry as you enter from mud.

A separate oven need NOT be near a range. You stick in the casserole or cookie sheet and you walk away : )

There a lot !! of possibilities, and all will depend budget, the way you eat, cook, bake, entertain. Kitchens are appliance driven. specs, inches all matter!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

I like Jan's layout but I agree we needmor einfo to really do the space justice . You are planning a big renovation can you explain whey the bay window can't be changed. Where do you live ? Is the garge heated ? Yes we need feet and inches to really get a real plan .

• dan1888
    15 days ago

Compromises for best overall function. No sink window and your layout is a snap. Move the kitchen to the dining space with the wall between the dining and the existing kitchen removed. You have a ton of space to work with. Good task and ambient lighting are necessary at all hours in a kitchen. The best space use for your family size is the priority, imo.

• K Delaney
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you all! we will be getting measurments tomorrow. We are still in the option period of the home offer and just could not visualize how to make this happen.

To answer a few questions:

-We have $100k budgeted for kitchen renovation. Can flex up or down as needed knowing we are going to have a lot of structural changes with opening up/moving walls.

-Double ovens are a must, family of 6 and we cook 99% of our meals.

-This is on a fairly remote farm so pantry is important since grocery shopping is not super convienient. I am ok with it not being a walk in

-i do not think our budget will allow removal of the bay window. there is a balcony upstairs above that would need to be altered, re-bricking, new windows, etc. The entire home needs renovation so trying to save where we can

-Open to the sink going in front of the bay window, or staying under the current window

-love adding the prep sink to the island.

thank you all again for your thoughtful, helpful comments!

-

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

A range has an oven you add another and you have two full size ovens : ) Only a cook top or range top would need "double" ovens

You are ahead of yourself: )