Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modernsunlight

What interior doors go with this trim?

modernsunlight
17 days ago
last modified: 17 days ago

I'm updating my house (floors, kitchen etc) and it is much more modern now. I would like to replace my interior doors (and probably eventually my exterior), and swap out the hardware and hinges to black. I"m not planning to change the trim throughout the house because I'm not sure it is worth it. So if I keep this trim, what options for a new door style could work. Any more modern look? Imagine hinges and handle black. (Shaker style, simple shaker, multiple boxes etc?)

Comments (13)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 days ago

It typically costs less to install a prehung door than it does to replace a door once you consider all the time & labor required to fit the new door with hinges.

Installing a prehung door will require replacing the trim around the door. Your trim is for a more traditionally styled door.

You can simply paint your doors to provide a different appearance in your home.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

Your current skinny trim is colonial revival and builder basic. Your doors are a little simpler and nicer. If I didn't have the budget for doors and trim I would replace all the trim and leave the doors alone.

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you. this is really useful. the problem is this is the trim around all our windoes (and we have 15-18 judt on thr geound floor.) donyou think its ok to have different trim on the doors than around the windows?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

No. It will always look incomplete. This is the challenge of remodeling. A simple project is never simple.

• Andee
    17 days ago

it would probably be useful to see more pastures of your interior.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

Your doors (mostly) work with the existing trim.

Unless you go all the way? You can't have what you want, or it will be a remuddle: )

I'm betting the base moldings aren't what you love, either.

Show some pics of all you have done /what you have in jpegs below

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thanks all. Ooof, I thought this might be the issue. Not sure I want to replace all the trim and baseboards though I could get a quote. If i painted the doors black per the earlier suggestion, I would still need to replace the door knobs and hinges to either black or brass. Too much of a pain?

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Lastly would it be crazy to change all the trim on the first floor only?

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here are baseboards. So sounds like options are

1. change all window and door trim (do I need to do both floors?) It is less about money that is giving me reservations but more that I just installed new blinds, have new wallpaper in rooms.....

2. paint doors black (then what do I do about the hinges?)

3. Keep doors and trim and just change knobs and hinges (but that might be expensive?)

4. Any other suggestions! If it wasn't for all the window I'd probably just change all the trim. But SOOO MANY WINDOWS.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

If you have new paint and paper leave it alone. Put on great doorknobs and hinges and move on. Look at emtek knobs- high quality and some unique options. Your knob budget just increased since you aren’t redoing the rest

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thanks. View on painting the doors black?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

Black doors belong on the "special" entry....or at least perfectly trimmed.

Show more pics of the house, and I say that as I gaze at edge to edge carpet and for all any of us know? Your money might be spent in other ways? I said might so you don't yell.: )

• modernsunlight
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Ha the carpet is in the attic. Don't worry. my floors are getting refinished to light oak, i have a large oak panelled linear direplace and a huge custom black rimmed french styled door being installed. my kitchen is modern transitional with a white quartztie waterfall. i can send pics later . here is the current floor which will be refinished in a few weeks.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH