Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlwitmer5

Beams and pendant lights in long hallway

dlwitmer5
17 days ago

I added 3 box beams to long hallway, knowing we would change recessed lights to pendants and thought they would look ok next to lights. Now they are done most pictures I see have lights centered in between the beams. Don’t mind moving the lights would be cheaper than tearing out the beams. Is it ok to leave a combination of recessed lighting and pendants? Because first light the powder room door would be in the way of a pendant.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 days ago

Having a light slapped up right next to the beam looks terrible. Not sure you gained anything by adding the beams. Just more work for yourself.

• chispa
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Yes it should be fine to have recessed lights and pendants, but I would switch them separately. Both the pendants and recessed lights will look better centered between the beams.

Another reason to center the lights between the beams is those awful shadows.

Your ceilings aren't really tall enough for a true pendant, so I would look for a semi-flush fixture.

I used these pendants with beams in all my hallways, but I have taller ceilings.

In The Spotlight · More Info

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    17 days ago

We have 10 ft ceilings, so pretty tall. I’m not opposed to moving the beams to center between the lights as I will have patchwork either way if I move the lights or the beams. Would probably cut down to 2 beams however from 3. But if I left the beams and moved the lights I would probably have recessed light in the front, then pendant, pendant and recessed would that look ok?

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Beans are 8” long for reference. Light fixture I was thinking is 17” long.

• S J
    17 days ago

I would center the lights.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Move something and I think the beams were a mistake if that helps ?

The rustic dark of the beans is not well suited to the arches, all the trim details.

Place correctly? Semi flush would have provided breaks in the hall.

The whole concept feels out of context, sorry.

Look up above at Chispa pic.....THAT is context: )

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Ok what is your suggestion how to fix? Take down the beams? Only do semi flush pendant lights?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

IMO the beams are fake looking and do not work with all the trim on the walls .I would remove them and ten get some fab lights instaed of thos echeap looking ones.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Yes..... remove the beams. Show some other areas of your home and provide more info as to where the hallway goes? All we are seeing is a corridor : )

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I have dark wood entry door, black study doors, foyer light is black and gold, family room has dark wood beams, mantle and floating shelves. (Excuse the toys my granddaughter is visiting!)

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Hallway is off entry way

• ptreckel
    16 days ago

So… I think the beams don’t make sense. And the chosen pendants are not special so…why? I am amused that someone posted a photo of pendants down a hallway that show a dilemma that I have often wondered about. How do you guarantee that lantern pendants remain in position once hung??? So that they remain lined up, perfectly???? The ones BeverleyFLADeziner posted would drive me CRAZY as they are NOT lined up. Chipsa, I imagine the ones you posted will eventually….drift. So…I would say, lose the beams. If you keep pendants, do something round on a ROD that doesn’t allow what I call…”drift.”

• dlwitmer5
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I was thinking I wanted something not so ornate as I have a lot going on with the beams and the trim. I’m leaning towards keeping the beams but cutting them down to make them smaller. And spacing them between the lights so I would only have 2 instead of 3. They tie in with the rest of my house.

• Jennz9b
    16 days ago

i would remove the beams. observe how the styles of the homes in your photo and the one in the example below are very different. Taller ceilings, wider corridor, windows, no arches, spare and simple