Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_46799727

Traffic noise window problems. Please help

Jason O
11 days ago

Corner folks or those with home living near a busy intersection. Have you been able to solve it greatly reduce noise coming into the home with new windows?
I bought a 2017 home with builder grade MI windows 1/8",1/8" thickness and I have about 10 windows facing the road between the bedroom, living room and kitchen..
I'm a light sleeper but I can hear all the traffic from trucks, cars, and vibrations going by. They seem to be coming from the windows. But unsure if there are other secondary sources like the attic.
Everything is according to code in North Texas but I don't remember being this bothered with sound in my NY APARTMENT. The walls between rooms don't seem to be insulated, only the exterior walls.
I'm looking at new windows from Anlin Del Mar series rated for 30/29 STC/OITC rating.
It uses dissimilar glass with lamination. Will replacing the windows facing traffic greatly improve my issue or am I SOL?
has anyone solved the noise problem from traffic with WINDOW REPLACEMENT alone? Please chime in.

Replacing windows from holder grade to laminate will reduce most of the noise in the home
upgrading to laminate glass windows won't do much you'll still be able to hear the trucks and cars revving going by

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

"Everything is according to code in North Texas but I don't remember being this bothered with sound in my NY APARTMENT. "

Windows would "help" but everything allows sound to pass thru it to some extent and code has nothing to do with sound transmission, anywhere that I am aware of. Air sealing, extra layer of drywall with green glue. Windows alone and you will still be disappointed.

• millworkman
    11 days ago

From your other post, Google "sound transmission testing services" near me. They will either help you or tell you who to call.

• Jason O
    Original Author
    11 days ago

You're doing God's work sir. How much of an improvement do you think laminated glass replacement alone will make? Going from 1/8" 1/8" MI windows. I did a test and played engine noise on a Bluetooth speaker and opened the window. The delta is about 23db. Thinking the oitc rating is close to that.

I'm seeing OITC rating of 30 for the Del Mar series. Attached. Do you think I should go for it? I'm sure the existing widows have no insulation around them because they feel very hollow.

• beesneeds
    11 days ago

It's true that more layers can dampen more. A double pane blocks more than a single, a triple pane blocks more than a double. Window inserts can reduce sound a lot, acoustical inserts reduce more than regular ones. There are sound dampening window treatments of various types, just like there are ones that block different amounts of light. Exterior wooden shutters can help block sound. If the yard can support it, sometimes vegetation can baffle sound if it's planted in well enough.

It may be your house is different than your apartment was. If one is stick and the other was brick than can make some difference. If you were above ground floor vs being on the ground floor now. And in general a big city always makes a lot of noise, so we tend to tune it out. By comparison the smaller amount of human noise outside big city can sometimes seem like more. Because we end up paying more attention to it by the otherwise quiet. If this was a recent move, you might not be used to it yet and so it seems like a lot.

• Jason O
    Original Author
    11 days ago

How do I air seal and add another layer of drywall?

• Jason O
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I see most folks voted no. Does that mean I'm out of options and it's not worth trying new windows?

• Jason O
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Milk would you take an Anlin or an NT window? Gonna order one for my guest bedroom and if it helps.

• beesneeds
    10 days ago

Before you start ordering windows piecemeal... that's both a PITA and can be more costly than doing a set of windows at once.

Perhaps test first. Open the windows. How loud is the guest room compared to when the windows are closed. Close guest room window, is there a noise reduction? Try a sound baffle for a window dressing, like a movers blanket or a heavy quilt/comforter over the closed guest window. Does that help noise reduction? If you are sensitive to sound and the interior walls aren't insulated, it might not make a huge difference to have one window different than the other 9.

• PRO
    kevin-door and window fabricator
    10 days ago

Hi Jason, maybe you can try laminated glass. By the way, what kind of frame system? 1" flushing glaze? It will decide what kind of thickness to fit in for sound proof.

Look at the pic ,

1/8"+PVB+ 1/8"

• PRO
    kevin-door and window fabricator
    10 days ago

reducing solar energy, UV and sound transmitted

• 3onthetree
    10 days ago

A bluetooth speaker through the window does not represent the wavelengths that are bothersome to you, nor addresses the vibrations.

The expense and trouble of windows, considering you do not have any mass in the walls or ceiling/roof, is probably not worth the negligible improvement you will realistically experience.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 days ago

Airtight window, laminated glass, offset glazing, air space, and differential thickness. All keys to an STC assembly.