Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_4803509

adding smoke+carbon monoxide detector

Kiran K
11 days ago

Hello,

I had an occupancy inspection today and the inspector asked that I add a new smoke detector outside the bedroom.

My question is how would I go about adding wiring for new detector? I am assuming hard wired detector is better than battery operated detector. Am I correct?

Is the process of adding wiring complicated and involved - how much would it cost or is that something I can do myself?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (7)

• A Mat
    11 days ago

I recommend battery operated vs hard wired.

$20 vs $200-300.

What does the HOA require?

• PRO
    AiFL
    10 days ago

Just buy a battery operated detector, there is no issue with one being better than the other.

• cat_ky
    10 days ago

Also agree, with above. Buy a battery operated detector. If you have gas, you can buy one that will detect a gas leak, carbon monoxide and smoke.

• Kiran K
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Thank you all!

I overlooked what inspector wrote but looks like he wants me to move an existing one to new location near bedroom. I doubt if existing one is battery operated - so is it OK for me to install a new one instead of moving existing one which could be hard wired?

@A mat - HOA does not have anything regarding smoke detectors in their R&R.

• 3onthetree
    10 days ago

You need a smoke detector within each bedroom (sounds like existing, probably interconnected via hardwire because it's a condo). You then need an additional smoke detector outside the bedroom within the vicinity of the bedrooms (sounds like that is the one you need to add). Code does not require you to rewire an existing building just to add a detector, but of course verify since it's a condo and can't remember if you are in NY. There are options for detectors with wi-fi to interconnect, but it seems a simple battery operated smoke detector would bring you up to compliance.

Also, if you have a gas appliance anywhere (e.g. stove, furnace, WH), then you need to provide a Carbon Monoxide detector in the same vicinity of the bedrooms. That could be a combination Smoke/CO alarm.

• Kiran K
    Original Author
    10 days ago

thank you @3onthetree I do not have any gas appliance - condo is all electric. does that mean I can just go with smoke alarm? condo walls are plaster of paris, would that be an issue to drill hole?

• wdccruise
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

"looks like he wants me to move an existing one to new location near bedroom"

You don't have to move the existing detector. Just buy a new one and attach it to the ceiling. The USI MIC3510SB Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector was top-rated by CR (Home Depot, Walmart). The instructions state where to install it.