Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolainlasvegas

Can someone help me tone down too formal living room with poor layout?

lolainlasvegas
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We’ve been accumulating things in small house for 25 yrs. since retirement and quarantine, I’m more obsessed with dissatisfaction with this room. Too much furniture, not welcoming. Need edit, maybe reupholstery. Art work important, authentic with history for me but maybe makes things too formal. Open to any thoughts and suggestions. My taste has never been traditional, but here I am. Help me change the vibe please. I am going to try to post pics. Thank you.

Photos · More Info

Comments (9.3K)

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Not for me, I posted that for pool. She expressed an interest long time ago.

I read earlier that Steinway named a piano after Klee.

• dsimber
    16 days ago

As I recall, Pool has two original works that are Klee-esque. Maybe from a trip? Maybe from their honeymoon??

lolainlasvegas thanked dsimber
  • liasch
    16 days ago

So many wonderful Tunisian landscapes! I think it would be cool to have a landscape that the character over the kitchen table inhabits. It

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • liasch
    16 days ago

For example…

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Good idea liasch! Yes, Tunisian. I had not put two and two together and I think I can get those. First one in particular. Thank yoy❤️

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Yes, have found source. Of course, in Austria but looks quality, choice of sizes but $$$$.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I am saving all of those you posted. Duh Duh!

• liasch
    15 days ago

Good quality reproductions are often dollars but well worth it. It would look almost like you were looking out of the window up there. With Klee goggles…🙂

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

OK, finally finally. My favorites are same. Ordered these two.

• liasch
    12 days ago

Oooh… exciting! Now I want one at my place.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

You don’t have any wall space. Seriously though, thanks for the idea which I would not have thought of❤️ I am exhausted by all of the decisions made. The site, Meisterdrock.com allows putting in desired measurements but the system automatically corrects to proper proportions. In cm of course. I just calculate with .4. Close enough. I should have put patterns up before hand but too lazy. These will be 16”x32 and 30”x32.

Also, Michaels offering 70% off which I have never seen so ordered frames. I tend to be pretty reckless with frame selection. No patience. It will be ok.

Also, regarding public domain art, found site, Artvee.com Lots of very nice things for anyone doing a classic gallery wall. lt seems you have to subscribe to site to obtain files. Not sure. Here are couple of things I found

• liasch
    12 days ago

Lola, you are absolutely correct I have no wall space. That is unless I want to do wall-to-wall paintings where they used to do in the Parisian salons

• liasch
    12 days ago

Lol…

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    12 days ago

You are almost there. You need to raise the roof!

• dsimber
    11 days ago

😂

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    11 days ago

You ok, dsimber Dsimber?

• dsimber
    11 days ago

Yes! Was I not supposed to find that funny? I’m recovering from snafus in outdoor projects, so I’m looking for humor!

• glschisler
    11 days ago

Yep that was funny!😆 Lia, good luck raising your roof!

• glschisler
    11 days ago

Lola, great choices on your new art selections! I really like them!

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • liasch
    11 days ago

Dsimber that was definitely supposed to be funny…🤪 in fact it’s such a terrible way to exhibit paintings I can’t believe they ever did it at all. Puts a whole new meaning into the phrase “gallery wall“. Salon indeed…😵‍💫

Lola, of course I love those two paintings! I’m slightly jealous. I do in fact have a blank spot on my wall that could work. And putting a reproduction there is definitely the solution because I wouldn’t put an original piece where it could get heated up by the stove. The only problem is…I’m not sure I want anything there. It’s kind of nice to have some empty space.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Ha ha! You call that an empty wall? I am flattered that you are jealous though. Lets see how it turns our. Fred insisted that we do the frames because of dirty location in kitchen. I had hoped to do something different but turns out, Julie Julie, you were right. Thank you glischler for kind support. I think the Art is beautiful just not sure about the wall area. Oh well. Alice was correct innasking about sight lines with nook. Turns out the cabinet that houses oven juts out a lot. You guys are so nice to follow this tiny project. i have actually surprised myself that I DID something. Pretty soon, I will be in liasche’s boat with no wall space. oh oh, dsimber Dsimber, sorry sorry, I just hadnt heard from you. Now I see there is a message. ❤️

• Alice Edwards
    10 days ago

Lola you did very well choosing! The art will be spectacular 💗 colors will go so nicely and very very colorful for a high spot! Talk about a wow factor!

• Alice Edwards
    10 days ago

When is delivery? Now I’m excited to see them there!

• liasch
    10 days ago

Lola, any surface without art is fair game…lol…however I do restrain myself. Somewhat.

• Alice Edwards
    10 days ago

Lol Lia, it’s hard for me to leave an empty space but I did leave the two opposite wall corners in the living room blank and it made a nice difference bc I’m like you, love to see it so up it goes! I ran across three little pretty wallpapers I had framed and walking around the house with them yesterday bc I certainly didn’t want to throw them in storage. I hung them in the guest room but not liking that but until I find a spot 👀 and I’m also not to thrilled with the paint I used on the guest head board and little chest I did a while back, so I’ll be changing that soon 🤷‍♀️

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    yesterday

Alice, I am envious of your physical energy to change things. I can only imagine at this point. Things are picking up around here though because Fred on Summer break. He is steadily cleaning up around here, so far mostly outside, but I think I am on the Edge of Motivation. ha ha. I made a start on kitchen recently, gotta get back to it.

Anyway, prints have shipped as of 5/10 and are now in the U.S. Won’t be too long.

• lolainlasvegas
    Original Author
    yesterday

Oh, and liasch, why restrain your beautiful art loving self?

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

Lola I’m super excited about the prints. And I so wish my OH could help me more in our yard. The shape it is in depresses me so much. I have so many plans, simple really, but cannot do some things without help. I’ve been racking my brain to think of finding and asking for help of even just a kid that needs some extra cash to do some things here for us. Something will evolve, I just know it.

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

Karma and Ripply sure like where I set the flowers for now. I found my old piano bench and a stool for them to sit and gaze 💗 I’ll be hanging petunias today one way or another lol, I may leave the large flower pot there for them. The sun is good there on the porch.

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

• liasch
    yesterday

Nice view out that window Alice! That temps me to get window boxes.

• liasch
    yesterday

Alice, hiring local kids can definitely help but you need to luck out. The way I find them is through my high school before school closes. They will make announcements over the PA system or you can go through the instructors for any special programs they have at the school.

• glschisler
    yesterday

Lia, looking at the Parisian gallery wall reminds me of my brother’s kitchen walks. It is a high, large kitchen. My SIL has cover the walls to the ceiling in framed Monet prints! They pick them up on their various travels as their souvenirs.

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Alice ..your house is really kitty heaven..you seem to easily set up the perfect spot for them to loll around and be lazy..throw a rag down on the floor…they are on it😻.. our transient kitties love it here in our garden..but friendly🤷🏻‍♀️…not so much ..I mostly get to see them when I am slowly …quietly…swinging in the hammock..when they spot me they scoot outa sight..fast😳

• btydrvn
    yesterday

We just spent the whole morning with two contractors …to address the disaster Mother Nature made of our property this winter🥲outbuildings collapsed..fences damaged..trees fallen…roof damaged/leaking..leading to mildew and sheetrock failures in closet ceilings…😟…All on top of the usual ton of oak leaves and weed invasion in our landscaped areas…never mind it is time to touch up all the decks…we always come home in the spring to outdoor chores…but this year it is overwhelming

• liasch
    yesterday

Sounds like there was heavy snow cover maybe some ice storms in the west this year as I recall? Ice storms can do damage to trees…and roof. My sister lives in Washington state and it seems to me. I recall from other people posting that it was a tough winter.

• liasch
    yesterday

What a thing to come back to. Ughhh…here it is just ongoing but at least I’m here so it doesn’t all pile up. Mice and carpenter ants are the current issues. =(

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Luckily… most of our returns are met with just the clean up of fallen leaves and branches… which can be approached as “a little exercise” ..this year…not so much…as for the mice we keep traps under the cabinets and island..and not being here in the winter and no heating …leaves the house less inviting to critters to move in for the winter..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Stopped by to see what’s going on! Eww mice, carpenter ants (worse than termites) and storms add up to loads of stress in Spring. Kitties are so sweet. I get the itch for one every once in a while but not for long! We had a bad storm way north of Houston. We are south. Lucky us. Had about 30 min of hard rain but no damage. I think they are now saying there was a Tornedo way up north of Houston. That’s nearly 1-1/2 hours drive north and west from us. Big trees came down on houses and toppled major power towers. That’s going to take time to repair. Grateful to be spared! Hope y’all are safe!!

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Altho’ my hubs who I often refer to as a “city guy”…has become quite talented with the weed eater..which deprives the mice of a hiding place while approaching our garden…and pond…but… nothing seems to effect our huge lizard population…however…I accept that…. as a great natural bug control element….when we got this land I was all about no chemicals or other things bad for the land…it has really paid off over time…Don’t ask about the gophers😩..that was years of traps and filled holes …but they finally gave up,too…

• Parker Murphy
    yesterday

Thanks for checking in Flo! I was wondering how you were doing. Post pictures of your new home as rooms get "somewhat" done. :) We want to see !

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

I’m going to try lady bugs first the fleas in my yard. I’ve read they eat soooo many! They may need lady bug houses :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Thanks Parker. Getting some new chandeliers installed on Monday so hoping to get some pictures then. Lady Bugs are great but they can be invasive too. Nothing is perfect! Having fun here but at that slow going stage!

• jayapple21
    23 hours ago

Flo, the three tornados that took us by surprise last Friday morning have caused so much damage, some say worse than Hurricane Kate in ’85. There are still about 1000 homes that haven’t gotten power back yet and it will be 9 days this Sunday. Every night the national TV news covers another weather disaster somewhere in the U.S. I don’t remember it being such a constant thing in the past. Glad you were spared with the most recent one.

• liasch
    6 hours ago

Wow… 10 days without power is a lot. We haven’t had that happen here since the major hurricane that we had over a decade ago. Usually the powers back within less than a week. Flo, thanks for checking in. I’m trying to quietly enjoy the cold weather here as the heat and humidity will be here all too soon. Cold ocean water is the saving grace here as far as storms go.

• pat1250
    3 hours ago

How lovely for those kitties of yours, Alice. They look so cozy.
    And, as Lia mentioned, look into the high school, & check out the neighborhood teens. We’ve just taken on a14-yr. to mow our lawn & to take on other tasks like digging holes for shrubs to be transplanted. The right person will be willing & besides the $ they will appreciate, you’ll be educating them along the way. Win-win.

• Alice Edwards
    3 hours ago

That is a wonderful idea. I meant to comment earlier. I subbed at our high school here a few years ago for a short time. My assignments were preschool up through to the high school. If I remember correctly, my assistance at the district here lasted 2 years? I’m sure the principals will remember me bc I broke up a few gnarly fights and they were surprised I came back! They must have a posting board there for summer kids wanting some part time money. I had not inquired of that then bc we were taking care of things here ourselves. My daughter mowed lawns one summer, well, it didn’t last long lol, but she called it “her mow money”

• Alice Edwards
    3 hours ago

Pat the kitties here are so spoiled it’s terrible! We just teamed up to clean out the parrot cage 😂 that was quite the chore and a three ring circus but way over due!

• Alice Edwards
    2 hours ago

We did get a few of the kittens to help us today!

• Alice Edwards
    2 hours ago