Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria_tsompana

design dilemma

Maria Tsompana
11 days ago

I am trying to replace the two chairs with reading chairs that are comfortable. I can’t find anything that matches the pattern and colors of the sofa. Also do you think the placement of the furniture is fine. We are having a build in library done across the long empty wall. Thank you

Comments (44)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

IMO what you're looking for are fully upholstered BERGERE CHAIRS.

Years ago I would have sent you to Henredon or Century, but Henredon is gone and so you might find a used chairs on CraigsList or FB Marketplace or a resale shop. Then you'll have to have them reupholstered.

• housegal200
    11 days ago

Check high end estate sales and local auction then reupholster as Beverly suggests.

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you very much

• TanCalGal
    11 days ago

Hickory chair has quality furniture. It's costly, though.. I'd find a decorator who was interestsd in antiques to help me coordinate the "old" furniture & carpets with the "new" furniture.

http://www.hickorychair.com/Products/ShowResults?TypeID=81&SearchName=Chairs+%26+Chaises 

• TanCalGal
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I like the sofa in front of the window: place the oval frames on each side of that window. I'd buy 2 apothecary floor lamps for each side of the sofa. This link shows one apothecary lamp. These are nice for reading.: https://www.houzz.com/photos/fulham-garden-flat-traditional-living-room-london-phvw-vp~33767599

I'd try placing the marble top round table in front of the sofa as a wee coffee table. Some will tell you the scale is "off" - but it might look adorable.

These 2 chairs in front of the window, look confortable and are not too large nor too small. I'd place similar chairs across from the sofa. Some stores have decorators that can help coordinate your sofa upholstery with chair upholstery. Years ago Ethan Allen helped me with a similar problem. I have a house full of antiques too. :) https://www.houzz.com/photos/j-hirsch-interior-design-portfolio-traditional-living-room-phvw-vp~213681.

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I am beyond grateful for all the suggestions. Thank you so much

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Nice reading chairs are usually abundant on Craigslist. Get a good quality old chair with sturdy bones and have it reupholstered. Depending on where you live it will cost more than buying new from Ballard and the like but will last you longer.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

https://www.chairish.com/product/13899658/french-bergere-arm-chairs

Fab!!!!! u lous but only one

https://www.chairish.com/product/11230924/1910s-louis-xvi-style-giltwood-carved-bergere-chair-with-green-velvet

Fab!!!! u lous

https://www.chairish.com/product/12794163/hickory-chair-furniture-co-asian-motif-louis-xv-bergere-chair

MUST you match?

No.......: ) The green is brand new upholstery, a to DIE for gorgeous chair

( ALWAYS make an offer on anything Chairish,: ) I mean always)

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Love them. Thank you!!!

• Ruth
    10 days ago

Have you considered a nice recliner or a comfy chair with ottoman. I love putting my feet up when I read.

• marylut
    10 days ago

Key here is comfort - not color. Sit in several chairs in showroom for 20 min to test personal comfort for reading. Then choose fabric. Don’t try to match color and pattern of sofa bc no one’s home needs to look like furniture showroom.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

Comfort is first! I think you can scour a lot of lists in your neighborhood to find something that will work. FB Marketplace, Craigslist, NextDoor, etc.

Or, as Jan said, go to a furniture store, sit on all the chairs till you’re happy and then customize the fabric.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

"Don’t try to match color and pattern of sofa bc no one’s home needs to look like furniture showroom."

Generally, when someone says "match" they meant to accompany, to go with, to complement.

There is no reason one cannot combine function/comfort with a look that suits them and the room.

I don't believe anyone has suggested it need look like a furniture showroom floor, ( a personal choice in ANY scenario) and quite the opposite has been suggested all above.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 days ago

All great options, and such gracious responses, Maria.

I don't think you need to sit in a chair for 20 minutes to determine whether it's comfortable or not. Usually takes me under 5 minutes.

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    10 days ago

All comments have helped me incredibly. I ordered the apothecary floor lamps and am scouting for the chairs. Thank you so much

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I'm not convinced this is the right layout for this room. I believe the rug is placed in the wrong direction, and perhaps too large fo this area.

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

I would try the couch facing the window.. since it will define and separate the reading area better.. and two chairs angled toward and beside a window are an inviting look as well

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

A console behind the couch could be a possible added feature as well

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you. The couch looks nice facing the window

• Andee
    9 days ago

What is on the other side of the room from the to-be library wall and what is opposite to the window? I ask because I do not think your rug is running in the wrong direction. We are too used these days to big rooms with too-small rugs, instead of wonderful large rugs like yours (and mine) that take up almost all the floor space except 1-2 ft around the perimeter. Even if your rug is near the window wall, it is fine the way it is.

I'm not sure how long it has been since you've shopped for fabrics for your rug. You may know that it is not true that "anything" will go with an oriental rug. I've had fabric and rugs figuratively "fight" with each others' presence in the same room. The rug must win. My latest battle involved buying a white couch first, 2 months later a new rug (the bossiest dark blue and red rug ever). Two months later the couch was sold through Marketplace. I finally decided a dark blue couch would look best and cohabitate peacefully.

Which brings me to your LR. I suggest covering your new chairs with a solid fabric that coordinates with your wonderful rug. No patterns, no coordinating with the couch only.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Couple things:

The rug is not placed in the wrong direction, for those who've suggested it is. The blank wall with the two oval framed pics is getting a built in.

To the left in pic? Is a marble tile FOYER.

Second, the couch is a damask. Or? BARELY a "pattern". Tolerance for pattern in a space is personal, and a patterned rug does NOT dictate all that sits upon the rug must be solid.

The room could definitely benefit from a stronger chair presence, a cocktail table. Side tables at the couch need not be "antique" and a little "kick" in lamps won't hurt the space either.

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    9 days ago

This is how the room looks with the couch facing the window. Before or after? Keep in mind I am buying Bergere larger chairs and there is going to be a library on the long wall. Thank you so much

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    9 days ago

A view of the next door rooms. Thank you all for your suggestions. I decorated my whole house with ease. But I am really struggling with the library room. Not sure why. I would love suggestions on lamps and tables too.

• liasch
    9 days ago

Hard to judge from photos, but couch facing windows makes a much more intimate space, suited to a library. Lovely vintage style home! New arrangement invites you to linger, versus pass through.

• Boxerpal
    9 days ago

Put that sofa back! (Said with humor.) If you have ever seen the movie Young Frankenstein there is this scene with Frau yelling put the Candle Back. Later Inga repeating it.

Sorry got distracted.

Put the SOFA BACK. I liked it where you had in the first photo. I see you mentioned you like it facing the window but just know there are some out there who liked it as is.

I think you are struggling a tiny bit because you don't have all the pieces. Once you have your book shelves, a coffee table, chairs... all the things will start to fit together better. Bigger chairs will work nicely. I am huge fan of EA but Ballard has some fun treasures you can work with.

what about a coffee table like this.

Newport Shores French Estate · More Info

Maybe a ceiling fixture like this...

Ft. Worth Historical Residence · More Info

It's the little things that will pull this space together as you get the big stuff sorted.

Meyda Lighting Floor Lamp, 17473 · More Info

For a space on the bookshelves

Traditional Brass Polystone Photo Frame Set 76465 · More Info

19.5"H Vase · More Info

• liasch
    9 days ago

Looks like there are two large doorways in this room...plus window? That in itself is a challenge. Agree, it could wait until bookcase and chairs fill the space more.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Put the sofa back under the WINDOW!! right now!

Intimacy is not to be confused with a WALL of sofa choking a space.

I want you to measure this space. Walls, window entry, openings, all in feet and inches.

I want you to consider IF you are actually going to read in here, or if you just want it to appear as if you do!

There are many ways to get the "feel" of library. How many hard cover books do you own? You can even fake a library! You can "flank" a sofa... with book cases! You can paper a wall for the suggestion of one!

Go back, measure the darn room : ) please and thank you. Upload the drawing as a jpeg.

• shirlpp
    9 days ago

I would want to have the option of curling up in a comfortable chair with a good book in a library.

IMO - a little modernization on the chairs and artwork is needed. Consider a low wall to wall bookcase with artwork above it.

• liasch
    9 days ago

Agreeing that the sofa blocking that doorway is not a good look…😉 but a floor plan would be super helpful as we are not in the space and it’s difficult to get a read out on exactly what you have to work with. A floorplan will help some of the professional designers here make some intelligent suggestions. There’s lots of options.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 days ago

This layout would work and look more interesting IMO.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    9 days ago

I would not block the opening/walking way. I would go with coach by the wall, making more inviting and open room.

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

The couch ..is …crowding the opening as is ….can it be moved further into the room?..part of the problem is the size and shape of the rug.. also…any rug with a central motif kinda begs for furniture to center on the motif

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    9 days ago

These are the dimensions of the room. We read a lot and own many books. The books will be used a lot as a library. The build in library will be similar to the picture below

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Well. Opinion of one?

Flank the sofa with bookcases. Take them up to the ceiling, and across. sink the sofa between, and have a lovely view at a fraction of what well done built ins will cost you on essentially 14'! Add sconces, or a picture light over a painting you love.

Books only need a depth of 12 or 13 inches.

You want an elegant proportion , so bottoms at no more than 30" h x 33"- 36" wide and 24 "deep ( sofa width depending ) and tops to the ceiling at 12 or 13" DEPTH, both sides, ALL the way up and across.

I've done it for a client, ( sorry no pic) but it's is elegant, cozy as hell.

Basically? A version of this, below.

Put a pretty non wood console in the window, add a lamp, you bought the other lamps, you are getting bergere chairs add a cocktail table!

Bet you can do a lot of that, from what the entire wall of built in WOULD have cost., very well done.

• Connie Stackhouse
    9 days ago

Where are you locsted? in the central apnnsylvania are we have an EXECLLENT reupolsterer who can match any vintage or retro style very reasonably. He can also travel. Google him at Neil Choquette Upholstery. He has done numerous pieces for us, and we are very pleased with his work and pricing,

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

At this point I begin to wonder how much interaction you want with the adjoining spaces…i would be thinking about how you can have a little privacy element…as well as avoid a convenient walk through path..which can disturbing in a space this size..perhaps even some heavy draperies to pull closed for quiet and privacy..especially the one directly connected to the front door…

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Doors...........french doors, divided light, on a ball catch, one open, one closed, either direction etc

Don't leave out the coffee table. Just a handful from Chairish. Last one? Le Barge....goes ANYWHERE

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Last thought.......?

One more option, why? Because built in anything is a commitment. We all get the "look" you want, but it's not a big room. The book idea,,is also a dollar and size commitment.

Failing the first idea? You could use the family room end for these - same idea and up and over the doorway, even close that up a bit, pocket door.

You can still have a great view into the room, cut the built in expense.

The real truth? In a standard two foot depth of built in - as your inspo pic? You really don't have two full feet to lose in this room.: ) across the long wall and 14 ' of a wonderful built in is a bloody $$$$$$$

Never a great pic when you need one: ) it's an either or as far as I can see, as to locale.

• Maria Tsompana
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you so much. We have already committed to the build in and the carpenter is working on the library. I am ver grateful for your time and help.

• Andee
    8 days ago

Love the over-the sofa build. But there is the practical matter of accessing the upper shelves. A library ladder might be a solution for those who are able to move it around with a carpet underneath, but with the sofa blocking the full span?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

You put what you've already read at the very top: )

Matters not, she already has the full wall in the works.

• Christa G
    8 days ago

Whatever you do, keep the rug. It’s gorgeous. When the bookcases are installed, I would remove everything from the room. Then begin adding back in. It appears the furniture is the same style and that’s why you are placing it in this room together, but I am afraid the scale of the tables and chairs are not quite right for where they will be placed. The lines and style of the couch are nice, but would be prettier in a rich color that complements the rug. I can picture two english armchairs in place of the smaller ones. The small chairs are quite pretty, and perhaps there would be room for one with one of the small tables near the picture close to the foyer. Someone posted a photo of a glass coffee table which would be nice so that you can see the rug.

• Christa G
    8 days ago

Speaking of Ethan Allen- they have on site designers that come to your home, view the space, and make suggestions on furniture style and fabrics. The service is free when you buy from Ethan Allen. I have a gorgeous living room thanks to them.