Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedomplace1

Does anyone love this as much as I do ?

freedomplace1
11 days ago

Fabulous. I was looking for images of living rooms with sage green sofas and yellow/gold walls - because that is now the scheme I am working on; and I stumbled upon this space. I love it. :) If you love it, too, please chime in. If you don’t love it, feel free to vote.

Also, if you have any pics of living rooms with yellow/gold walls and sage green sofas, please share.

Thank You.

Yes, I love it, too.
No, it is not my cup of tea.
I don’t know whether I like it or don’t like it.
.I have no idea why I’m here.

Comments (46)

• bpath
    11 days ago

Can I love it even though it’s not quite my cup of tea?

freedomplace1 thanked bpath
  • mcarroll16
    11 days ago

Not my cup of tea either. But I am in awe of the design talent that pulled all of those elements together.

freedomplace1 thanked mcarroll16
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago

You sure can, @bpath. Hop on board! :)

• PRN
    11 days ago

I think the lighting in the room leaves a lot to be desired.

freedomplace1 thanked PRN
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I’m in awe, too, @mcarroll16. Amazing.

• Jennifer Hogan
    11 days ago

It is so nice to see something that has some color! I am an MCM gal, but can appreciate many styles and this is lovely.

freedomplace1 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • la_la Girl
    11 days ago

Love that wall color!

freedomplace1 thanked la_la Girl
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you, Jennifer. And I agree. The space is so well done.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Paul, that piece you put on the coffee table is really brilliant. You noticed the blues in the space. Is that blue sconce totally incredible ? Plus the blues in rug - and even in the books! I cannot get over the details in this design. I love everything that they did. Your take on it is great, too. The glass table and black frame give it another edge.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I agree, @la la girl. Perfect wall color.

• Paul F.
    11 days ago

@freedomplace1 If you don't follow Larry's list on Instagram you should. He shows Art collectors homes. It's very inspiring. Some of the design is at the service of the $50M Basquiat in the room but definitely some great out of the box design. Once the glass pyramid went in at the Louvre... bringing in a glass box for a table always seems OK to me in any setting. I was trying to place a Yves Klein blue Venus torso on the table but AI said no and gave me a bust instead.

freedomplace1 thanked Paul F.
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Thank you, Paul. I am going to check out Larry’s list. AI probably based it on the overall room style. And the bust is brilliant in context. But I love your original blue Venus idea, too. We are going to have to have a meeting with AI. :)

• btydrvn
    11 days ago

Paul’s accessories gave it what it takes for me..they somehow connected the look..the first version felt like an attempt…his additions gave the room more confidence…completion….I am eclectic in my personal taste…it somehow makes a home more comfortable to me..never mind it is timeless ..never becomes dated..

freedomplace1 thanked btydrvn
  • ilikefriday
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I like this space a lot and noticed the sconce color right away. I think @Paul F brought the space up about five levels with his additions. I am not wild about the sofa color, but maybe I am. I would do something in that same color family but bolder, maybe. I want to see more of this space.

Larry's List? I will have to check him out!

I MUST explore this color combo.

ETA

The designer is Billy Cotton. His page would imply this is the same room. Is this the same room????

https://billycotton.com/project/east-52nd-street

freedomplace1 thanked ilikefriday
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    10 days ago

“... backdrop for idiosyncratic auction finds, including a red velvet sofa that once graced an old-World Roman hotel.’’

That must be this sofa (which I cannot get over this sofa).

The other sofa looks like it’s on another side of the space. Same rug, same ottoman.

Thank you so much for the designer info, @ilikefriday. 🙏🏼 I did not know who did this, but I just instantly knew that I loved it. It stopped me in my tracks. And the designer info is so very important, because he - Billy Cotton - should absolutely be credited and acknowledged here.

I’m so glad to have more info about this design and space. I did not realize that it was in NYC! or that it is on Sutton Place ! And both of those details have significance for me. The plot thickens... :)

And yes, I really love what Paul did. Brilliant, for sure. I also love the original space, as is.

• chispa
    10 days ago

I don't love the orange/black checkered chairs. Lots of other fabrics could have been used on those chairs that would really elevate the whole look.

freedomplace1 thanked chispa
  • freedomplace1
    Original Author
    10 days ago

And yesterday, before I created this post - I had been searching and searching for a chair. And I was SO excited to find what I felt could be the perfect chair! Perfect for the space I’m working on and for the situation. And I just now flashed back to the pics I saw earlier from this design project; and I had to go and look at the pics again - to see if I really saw what I thought I saw. This is becoming a bit surreal.

Not the same exact chair... but I think pretty close; certainly in the ballbark. Has me walking around blinking my eyes a bit more than usual. :)

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

The same photo on Billy Cotton's website has been digitally altered to add... wait for it... a blue modern art painting on the wall and awkwardly placed blue glass vase on the coffee table, (not casting a shadow on the sofa by the way). Realizing that is what was needed for that particular photo, on my own... I will take credit for! :P The whole room needs to be taken in to see the detail and cohesiveness because altogether it's much better than just seeing this one photo.

Also, all the colors are altered likely just by someone trying to brighten the moody picture in @freedomplace1's version. The last picture below has cutouts to show the differences in color, you can see the rug is more like what I did to it as well.

BTW, the small sketches and photos in the room are by Cindy Sherman, Paul Thek... Paul McCarthy, etc. An offbeat art collectors place... nailed it.

Billy Cotton website version

Differences

• ilikefriday
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Paul you deserve the credit. I can't believe you spotted the alterations.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I love this shot.

Genius.

• marmiegard_z7b
    8 days ago

I do like it. I like” simplified English cottage” style & eclectic traditional, with warm woods and colors from nature.

I would probably use a bit more touches of some of the lighter colors in overall scheme unless I had a library tool with great reading light, but the layers of red/ green/ blue are just great. If I were looking at a house with this room & the seller offered the room’s furnishings for sale , I’d probably buy them( though maybe couldn’t afford the sofa).
    freedomplace1 thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • marmiegard_z7b
    8 days ago

Oops, “ library room”.

freedomplace1 thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Paul F.
    8 days ago

@freedomplace1 me too now that I think we are seeing the real color of the sofa. The brightened version makes the colors too sharp.

@ilikefriday I used to do photoshop background retouching for Nickelodeon and there were lots of details to notice. AI would have made my job so much easier! Someone with that job now must be overjoyed to the point of tears. Now, I'm beta testing this unreleased version of Photoshop for fun and giving Adobe feedback and suggestions on how to make it better for this type of work. If it weren't $15 a month subscription I'd recommend it to anyone interested in design. My home insurer is paying for it after deciding I was using it effectively to restore my fire damaged home. They are pulling the plug soon though.

Important to note, Photoshop AI is not designing like some apps do. It is strictly rendering what you describe you want to see added to the room (or taken away) you must indicate where things go or what to reconfigure. They just added the ability to upload one inspiration picture in case you are not good at describing a style or detail. AI is smart enough to understand the setting in the picture and offers 3 good suggestions for what you asked for... but not all the time. For example, select a staircase and write "colorful Turkish stair runner" and you'll get a 3 sweaty people to choose from, all running up the stairs while wearing bright jogging shorts! Haha, it is getting smarter and smarter every day though.

If I made my living in design now I would be all over AI in order not to be left behind. It's modern day magic that makes a photorealistic picture of your very thoughts in seconds.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I love both color views of the sofa. But you may be right, Paul. The color of the sofa may show in person more like the other shot - or somewhere in between.

It’s the subtlety.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Thank you for your thoughts, @marmiegard_z7b.

A lot of what is being done with lighting shown in the pics is for effect.

But as far as libraries... dark, moody libraries are ”a thing”. :) In any space, you just need the necessary task lighting to read a book. I have actually found a book light to be a wonderful tool. Shines light right on the page.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75-beautiful-dark-moody-library-home-design-pictures-ideas-may-2021--63613413476600943/

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    8 days ago

What a great design. Not my cup of tea for the sofa but I can certainly appreciate it. I do love a mind that can pull all of that together and the client who allows those minds to just soar!

Such a far cry from gray/greige blah walls and gray couches.

freedomplace1 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Paul F.
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

The sofa is sexy... you can see the cupid's bow of lips in its shape.

AI prompt: Add woman posing for artist like in the movie Titanic. I did tweak the hell out of the image however.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    6 days ago

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

I was just doing a test. I didn’t (and don’t) know if my comment/reply posted. ( Some technical hi jinks, me thinks. :)

ETA:

So if my reply to you shows up, let me know, Paul. I am not seeing it on my end. I also didn’t find out about your comment, until just a little while ago today, in a delayed email. It seems I’m getting notifications about everything else - except for this post!

Very nice, Paul.

• Paul F.
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Here's what I see. If you are having a technical issue it could be related to the solar storm happening. I know my internet has been spotty all day.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

So far, this is the best i have found for gold walls + sage green sofa.

Not exactly what I am doing - except for the gold walls and sage sofa. But I do like this room. Inspirational for me.

• ilikefriday
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I have been thinking about this color sheme in my laundry room that has eggplant purple walls. My thought is to add blue appliques to the white ceiling, paint the chandelier blue, and add red/pink accents to the room.

Freedomplace1, you might be able to do something similar by incorporating a large dose of blue and a smaller dose or red/pink to your already gold wall and sage sofa combo.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thank you, ilikefriday ! I appreciate your response! It’s funny that you mention the eggplant purple color that you are working with (and your plan to incorporate the blue and red/pink sounds fabulous. Love the blue chandelier idea. That should be stunning. ) Believe it or not - the plum purple color is a color I’ve been thinking of incorporating into my gold walls, sage sofa and black chair scheme. I found a deep plum colored pillow that I think will be perfect to toss on the black chair. And ironically, just the other day, a piece of art came to my attention that i had saved in my Etsy cart a while back, and I had totally forgotten about it. Etsy had sent me an email reminder and ‘sale alert’ type thing. It is a watercolor with lavender flowers. And when I first found it, I had thought about using it in a predominantly black and white photographic gallery wall. It will be just a few pieces in the gallery. But one of the black and white photographs ties in with the lavender color in terms of background/significance for me.

You are so talented. I always love seeing your spaces and creations.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Plus it has purple and gold fringe.

Ties in with gold walls.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Sage + Pink!

Also, with black and gold accents. Plus, some blue and red (in the bottles).

So much fun. :)

I don’t partake of alcoholic beverages, myself - I stopped drinking a long time ago. But I do love bar cabinets and bar carts, and there is amazing design on some of the liquor bottles.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Some beautiful ones on this line.

https://us.louisxiii-cognac.com/products/magnum

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Another interesting bottle.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    3 days ago

There are many to choose from - at all price points. Collectibles.

• ilikefriday
    2 days ago

I was just thinking, omg the prices! I also like bar carts and displaying bottles. While I don't drink, I do have a large collection of liquor. My DH cooks with it and he often gets bottles as gifts from vendors at work. When I was deciding what to put on my kitchen open shelves, I posted about displays of liquor and was told by many what as waste that would be since I don't drink. Someone else went through my collection and suggested which bottles to display. I still have my liquor shelf and I like it 😁. I don't think any of mine are collectables. Just regular liquor.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I have no problem displaying the bottles, myself, and i don’t drink either. There are many beautiful liquor bottles. Whether collectibles or not, they are fun to collect and display.

I can’t say I’m surprised that many here told you what a waste it would be to display them, since you don‘t drink. People around here will really put a damper on any party - whenever they can. :)

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

Been looking at acreens. Am seeing some fun ones!

That art design is based upon Indian lace. :)

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

I’m looking for a screen to use as camouflage and art. Not to divide a space.

Some nice room divider ideas here, though: https://www.housebeautiful.com/roomdecorating/g27348734/room-divider-ideas/

• Paul F.
    1 hour ago

For a short time HomeGoods was getting Czech crystal liquor decanters. I bought about 5 of the best ones I came across. I just love the look with color water in them. I'd never store liquor because of the lead.

• Paul F.
    1 hour ago

The screens remind me of Rangoli or Mehndi Indian designs. I love them.

• freedomplace1
    Original Author
    1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

I love the decanters. It’s amazing what you can find at discount and Thrift stores, at times. I’m moving and one of the decanters i packed i think i literally found at a dollar store! :)

This Czech lead crystal is selling on Etsy for $75.00

And this vintage piece from the 1960’s is selling on Etsy for $95.00 .

Very similar to my dollar store decanter!! :) And this one is now in my cart!

That’s a great idea regarding the colored water, Paul! I love that! And good to mention the lead and not storing alcohol in such.