Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blu_skye

Exterior Paint Spiral

blu_skye
14 days ago

We are finally updating the exterior paint on our tiny west-facing 1950s ranch home. We would like a more modern blue-gray color with a pop of color on the door. All the inspiration photos I like run on the darker scale. The painter is highly recommending a lighter color for longevity.

I met with their color person and we narrowed it down to SW Foggy Days and BM Apollo Blue (painter is using SW paint). They finally painted some swatches on the house and I just don't known. My husband thinks Apollo is green-y and would like more blue, I'm worried Foggy will look purple. I prefer not to have a purple, baby blue or Smurf house. The roof looks tan in certain light, but the shingles do have flecks of gray and taupe on a black background. The same reddish brick is also on the back patio. And yes, we need some landscaping - already on the ever-growing to-do list.

I need to decide on a color ASAP and I'm in an analysis-paralysis spiral - it's relatively easy to change an interior room color if it doesn't work, the exterior, not so much. I don't have a great track record with choosing paint colors and would greatly appreciate any ideas you can share!

SW Foggy Days on right & bottom, BM Apollo Blue on left & top, SW Ryegrass & Tansy Green on door

Comments (12)

• Yvonne Martin
    14 days ago

The names of the colors are too small to read. Please tell us which is which in a comment.

• blu_skye
    Original Author
    14 days ago

To the left of the door: BM Apollo Blue on the left, SW Foggy Days on the right
    To the right of door under the light: BM Apollo on top, SW Foggy Days on bottom
    On the door: SW Ryegrass on top, SW Tansy Green on bottom

• Delightedin Denver
    14 days ago

I like the BM Apollo best. Dark but not too dark. It’s a cute house! It’s going to look great!

• houssaon
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I like Apollo, too. I also like the colors BM recommends to pair with it. Greenhow Blue would look so good on your front door. Use either White Dove or Edgecomb Gray for trim.

• blu_skye
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you so much for the ideas. Three houses around us all have light blue doors, so was trying something different. Not sold on the green once it was painted on the door. Eventually we would like to replace door - add it to that list!

I like White Dove - used it in 2 rooms inside. Currently SW Greek Villa is selected for the trim. Painter is using SW, so was trying to stick with their colors even though Ive been told they can color match.

I’m open to other blue-gray suggestions, but don’t want to go darker than these two. It seems Apollo is currently the better choice, my husband just doesn’t see it as “blue”.

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago

I'd be tempted to test some where I could see the paint against the roof as well

• chloebud
    13 days ago

I really like the Apollo Blue based on your photos. I do see a green undertone in houssaon’s example, but that wouldn’t be a bad thing for me.

• chloebud
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I can definitely see the green in Apollo Blue. I like it and based on your photos it’s a good fit with the brick. That being said, the Foggy Day is also nice, especially if your husband wants blue. Do you see any purple-ish undertone in FD? I think I see a little in your first pic of the evening photos above. Hard to tell for sure online.

• blu_skye
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I saw purple undertones, too. Someone suggested it was because the original yellowish paint is showing through. I thought I preferred Apollo until I saw it in the bright light. This morning, I picked up a sample of Cadet and Uncertain Gray, both on the same strip as Foggy Day. On a whim, I saw the Suburban Modern brochure at SW, so I grabbed a sample of Breezy. I definitely spiraled this weekend, but have to make a decision today.

• chloebud
    12 days ago

Trust me, I know deciding can be hard. We had our exterior painted not long ago. I had 9 sample cans of colors and some Samplize swatches. It paid off in the end!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    12 days ago

BM Apollo Blue looks prettier for me.

• Boxerpal
    12 days ago

I vote Apollo Blue BM

Be brave! Testing, re-thinking, painting sections and searching for another color is not going to make you suddenly say "ahhh that's it!"

When the house is completely painted you will say AHHH It looks great, why didn't we do this sooner. Trust yourself, your instinct is on target with the Apollo Blue it is going to be Striking. Can't wait to see it, when it is done.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz