Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

The only closet on the main floor was removed accidentally. Hows this?

Paul F.
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

During the fire restoration demo of my rental a small closet next to the front door was mistaken taken out. It seemed to really open up the small living space so I did not replace it. It is just a 13" deep nook now. The plan was always to add a small storage table for keys/phone/etc and some coat hooks. My cabinet guy says the place is too nice to have open coats hanging and wants to add a cabinet door over the the coat hooks with a mirror on the inside of the door for checking your appearance after pulling your coat out. This is southern California so the coats are lightweight and will fit fine in a 40" cabinet.

I mocked up what this might look like below and added a mirror between the two cabinets as well. The ceiling is 10 feet tall so the scale might throw you off a little... so I added a figure to help you picture it.

What do you think of this plan? There is no closet on the main floor otherwise.

Comments (24)

• latifolia
    13 days ago

You can't anticipate what a renter may need to store. I would just do floor to ceiling cabinet doors, with adjustable shelves inside. You could put a hook on the inside of the door for a coat. Skip the mirror.

I have a personal dislike of Asian statuary, or any statuary really, but having storage space would be welcome.

Paul F. thanked latifolia
  • TanCalGal
    13 days ago

I love your plan!

Paul F. thanked TanCalGal
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Well, it did evolve to this.... from just trying to cover up coats. There are some things to consider in making it one cabinet. After a certain height there would have to be two doors, top and bottom. Not sure I want to open a door to set my keys or mail down or to get my phone... I'd carry it all to the kitchen counter. There is a light switch for the spotlight on the inside of that wall above the counter although I could automate it and have it in a cabinet.

Maybe 2 open areas instead of 3 and more mirror? Any better?

When I was doing vacation rentals I would have yogis stay here when they taught classes at the nearby yoga and meditation studio. The statuary was for them... although these images are not real.

• JP L
    13 days ago

If you want to leave the middle open, I'd actually extend it all the way to the floor and ceiling otherwise (meaning the only opening is the "table" section) and move/remove the spotlight. The top section is already pretty high for hanging coats, but you could extend shelving up above the hanging section, I suppose. The way it is rendered, with the two "floating" cabinet sections screams late 1990's new age condo in South Florida wet bar to me.

Paul F. thanked JP L
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Looks too top heavy.

Here are a couple options.

• Jenny
    12 days ago

What about it matching the wall color so it looks more seamless? The distance between the upper and lower cabinet feels squished to me too.

Paul F. thanked Jenny
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

A single flush door, painted wall color, Same height as adjacent doors. Want the niche above up to the ten feet? Fine. ........but I'd skip.

Keys and a phone, and the mail and a light jacket, and an umbrella and you don't know what. : )) are behind.

Nobody will charge a phone there, or leave it there. It will go to the bathroom, to BED with them, to the kitchen to the couch, to the patio, and repeat.

Paul F. thanked JAN MOYER
  • drdeb1234
    12 days ago

If this is the only landing space for the apartment, I would want it to be all about functionality. So I would go for one big (actually quite tiny) closet. Then again, I live in Canada, where coats are bulky and plentiful. Can you arranged some piece of furniture nearby to put down wallet/keys/etc?

Paul F. thanked drdeb1234
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 days ago

What happens when Keanu Reeves visits and wants to hang up his duster?

Paul F. thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • JP L
    12 days ago

You could also frame in around the top to bring the height down - make it look more like an intentional closet than a separate set of floating cabinets. Listen to Jan, yo.

Paul F. thanked JP L
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I could do this. I'm sure I can't do a 10 foot door without warping but I could add a second door above this.

I could also put a little reveal of the wood around this white door to show wood that matches the kitchen across the room.

• latifolia
    12 days ago

You're overthinking this. Second photo from bottom is good. Focus is on the nice patio.

Paul F. thanked latifolia
  • Boxerpal
    12 days ago

Loving this tiny closet you are creating, and I can't wait to hear about Keanu Reeves visiting. I am sure he will just toss his duster on a chair.

Paul F. thanked Boxerpal
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Ok, so here is a photoshop of all the grayish laminate wood I planned on using... the far right represents the kitchen counter. I'm near the beach so I though of driftwood gray would be nice. So do you suppose the "closet" at the door should be white as well as the doors under the stairs?

There are two shades of a grayish wood...one is more brown than the other... here it is against the wall color and the laminate floor.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Here is the approximate color with the original design and an AI man for scale. I whited out just under the stairs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

I don't think you need the gray? I don't think you need more than a great closet that "disappears" . I'd do a "browner" flooring too, jmo.

Wait, is the pic up above AI ? The floor is nicer looking! Not so gray....

Paul F. thanked JAN MOYER
  • Kendrah
    12 days ago

The only thing he is checking out in a mirror at that height is his junk, which feels a bit odd to me.

Paul F. thanked Kendrah
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago

The floor is real fake wood and not very gray. The mirror was to reflect light and make it appear more than 12.5" deep from across the room... like Ken, the AI man has no junk. A big mirror would be on the inside of the door however.

I whited out under stairs doors... you really think that the closet needs to go away with white doors like this?

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

If you don’t make it into a bar area like Paul suggested, this last photo looks “right”. More like how the house would have been done originally. It gives you usable, hidden space, which is a huge plus.

Paul F. thanked RedRyder
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Last option is a mirrored door to help expand this tiny living room... a framed mirror that is actually a big door when you push to open.

Otherwise.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I see the entry table didn't work but what about a mirror on the door? Framed or unframed? The fenced outdoor area will look something like that... I'm using pavers will little bits of abalone shell.

• D M PNW
    11 days ago

I like matching the wall color best. The mirror could be on the inside of the door. The gray laminate doesn't enhance the granite if that is what is on the counters.

Paul F. thanked D M PNW
  • Jenny
    11 days ago

The grey laminate, the edging on the closet etc, though interesting are starting to chop up the room into little pieces. Leading the eye out to the patio will increase the sense of space.

Paul F. thanked Jenny