Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_620539417

Need help expressing my vision for exterior beams

HU-620539417
15 days ago

I think I've finally found the right group that can maybe help me put my thoughts into a visual for our carpenter. I love love love the look of beams but I'm wanting them on my home's exterior! Our local coop sells this awesome thermally modified wood but doesn't offer them in a faux beam (like the 2nd pic) so instead could use the trim pieces to construct our own. I want them to go around the entire top facade portion of the house. (Just the part that the brick is capped. Can someone please help or tell me a good app to use?

Comments (23)

• housegal200
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Why are beams a priority over the blah landscaping? Invest your beam budget in creating a beautiful setting for your house. Consider picking up a warm color from your stone for the siding. This will add more warmth to your house than a random bunch of beams that belong on Tudor homes, which yours isn't.

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Front Yard Landscape · More Info

• HU-620539417
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks for your reply! We live in Iowa and so the landscaping is just now starting to bloom.

• kandrewspa
    15 days ago

This sounds like an odd idea for the style of house you have. Do you have an inspiration picture for this look? It's difficult for me to imagine where you're going with this idea. If you really want a Tudor home you're going to have to look at moving.

The siding color doesn't look like the best fit with the brick (unless that is just a trick of the lighting). If I were you I would fix that, remove the shutters and up your landscaping game like Housegal200 said. You seem to have almost no foundation plants.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    15 days ago

You want a wood trim above the brick skirt but under the windows running all round the house? It would only be a couple inches high based on the photos?

• HU-620539417
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Yes just a small faux beam in that pine color from the store display sample board. I am happy to hear other people's ideas though! Unfortunately I don't have an inspo pic it just was an idea.

• housegal200
    15 days ago

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted some kind of Tudor wood trim. I have no idea whether what you're proposing would be good. I do stand by getting a professional landscaping to enhance your current very nice house.

• partim
    15 days ago

That will look odd.

• beesneeds
    15 days ago

You sure a beam would show up as a something? With a space that small I'm not sure it would show up as much. You could go to the local big box store and pick up a cheap piece of 2x2 to test it out. Also double check with the company to make sure they make beams that small. The ones in the pics look more like wrapped 4x4 or 6x6 size.

• lkloes
    15 days ago

You really don’t have much room under the windows and a wood beam would just look out of place. Go all out on the landscaping instead and your home will look terrific!

• tlynn1960
    14 days ago

No beams-a horizontal placement would look odd. You've already got brick, narrow siding (so visually busier), and shutters with prominent hardware. Concentrate on landscaping and consider removing the barn door-esque shutter hardware.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

NO NO to that plan

• Jennz9b
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

adding fake beams is not a good idea. as others have pointed out, what you really need is sufficient landscaping. the fact that the minuscule amount you have has yet to bloom is irrelevant.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    14 days ago

Instead of beams I will suggest a frieze which is more normally found on houses. Would suggest a larger size frieze with an interesting profile. That would be more appropriate treatment than adding beams.

• millworkman
    14 days ago

No to the faux water table wood. The brick is already enough and has the water table already. There is more than enough foofoo already from the shutters that are over done and obviously fake (no where near wide enough to cover the windows).

• housegal200
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Honestly, if you'd just posted more photos in the first place, I'm sure the majority of Commentors would still tell you not to do this beam thing but wouldn't necessarily have posted landscaping photos and suggestions. Your house looks lovely and landscaping is fine. Next time around, indoors or out, please do this:

Here is how to post a Design Dilemma to get the best results. You need to show the whole space—all four sides of an entire space—even if it’s about one specific Dilemma.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6417709/unofficial-design-dilemma-boot-camp

If you're asking about exterior, then step way back and photograph the whole setting so we can take in all of it. Then move in for closeups.

Keep in mind that you're inviting some design pros and people with a design eye into your home via photos. If they walked into your actual space, they would take in all of it: all four sides, doorways, floors, windows, ceiling, trim--the "givens"--then the features that can be changed--furnishings, paint, art, rugs, decor items, etc. If outdoors, they would be seeing it from the road--all your landscaping, neighbors' houses, driveway, etc. It's all one first impression. Same thing with photos. That's why it's important to provide well lit photos of the entire space, taken from all sides of a room regardless of the size of your problem. Or distant photos of your house then closeups.

• 3onthetree
    14 days ago

I would suggest instead, building a pergola or trellis at the front entry, of any size and as much cedar wood to your heart's content.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    14 days ago

I grew up in Iowa and I don’t believe I ever saw a house trimmed like you are suggesting. What about laying more bricks on top of yours to make a ledge? That might give the same effect.

• millworkman
    14 days ago

" What about laying more bricks on top of yours to make a ledge? That might give the same effect. "

That row of bricks is already there, protruding as the "water table".

• Paul F.
    14 days ago

• partim
    14 days ago

Railings on the stairs would look good.

• arcy_gw
    13 days ago

Paul's your guy but he does not agree or misunderstood your request. Beams on the outside made me think of the sort that protrude from under the soffits. It's ok to be the only one to ever have the idea you do, but water will stand on the beams, so they won't last. Perhaps that's why no one else has ever done it? Perhaps Paul's pergola will satisfy your craving for beams on the outside. Here'e hoping! I agree on Bev's comments on the shutters. Super cute idea. A lot of work, then they fall flat because they are scaled much too small.

• HU-910663146
    5 days ago

What about staining the brick ledge around your house a dark color. That would have the same look as your beam idea.