Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_goudie

Master bedroom help

Laura G
15 days ago

Looking for ideas please to make our master bedroom more cosy and inviting. The current setup of mismatching bedside tables and dresser and tallboy is less than ideal, but I’m unsure what to replace them with. White bedside tables? More wood, but in a darker shade? Stick with black?? Should bedside tables and dresser match? Elsewhere I’ve gone for natural materials (wood, cane, carpet etc) and gravitate towards warm colours and nature themes/art.

Also ideas on dresser placement and art placement to make the room feel more cosy and inviting would be welcomed please. What colours in the artwork should I be looking for? I feel a bit lost!

I know the space needs lamps but we have a toddler that pulls things down immediately off our bedside tables so bedside lamps don’t work. Sconces??

I know the bicycle doesn’t really belong here but it was looking far less great in our lounge. Chaise lounge looks random too I know, but it’s in a better spot than it was before. It’s used for storage.

Comments (16)

• Laura G
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Picture of chaise lounge - sorry didn’t realise it wasn’t in full view in original photos and can’t edit to add!

• chloe00s
    14 days ago

We have swing arm wall mounted lamps above our bedside tables and really like them. Adjustable for reading, and leave the surface of the bedside table free. And toddlers can’t reach them! There are lots of different styles in swing arm wall lamps, from ultra modern to traditional. They are not sconces per se, since they are plug in, but the cord is not exposed - covered in a matching metal sheath/tube down to below the height of the bedside table.

• PRO
    lisedv
    14 days ago

If you want valuable suggestions for this bedroom you need to post a floor plan with all dimensions and location of doors, windows, entrance to the room, etc.

If I understand correctly, you're keeping your bed and chaise but willing to replace your nightstands and dresser(s). You mention you really like your sconces with arms but you don't show them.

Also in you photos, what seems to be an entrance hall to the room has charcoal carpet but in the room it seems to be beige. If you can clarify and perhaps post a close-up photo of the rug(s).

• Laura G
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you, I will find a floor plan and post. Yes that’s right re chaise and bed, nightstands and dresser(s).
    Sorry I think you might be mixing me with chloe00 above who talks about the wall mounted lamps she likes. We just have downlights in the ceiling, but no sconces or arm wall mounted lamps.
    The carpet is all the same colour (grey), it’s just some areas are lighter than others due to the lighting (we don’t have any lighting in the entranceway to the room). Will post a pic close up later 😊

• Laura G
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Close up pic of carpet

• Laura G
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Master bedroom floor plan with dimensions

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

That chaise from your hallway is not the right fit in your bedroom either.

• chloe00s
    13 days ago

I can’t understand what the measurements of your bedroom really are from the above floor plan. I’m sure an architect can, but I can’t! Draperies would soften the space. But couldn’t have draperies and wall mounted sconces on the wall where the bed is now. Could the bed go on It’s not conventional, but could your bed possibly go on the opposite wall with no window? Can’t really tell if it would fit with bedside tables.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

How about something like this?

Note: I couldn't make out the measurements on the floor plan either but I went by the width of the doors which are pretty standard (30").

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Also like the 2nd inspo picture from Celery with all wood furniture

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

Many are getting rid of bureaus & organizing or enlagring closets. You might talk with a caroenter & design a floor to celinig wardrobe for the center of the wall space where the bureaus are currently. New night tables (perhaps black) & new large bedside lamps that make a statement might be next (when toddler is a bit older). Remove the non-cozy and non-inviting items from your bedroom: bike, cat toy, chaise. For art over the bed: choose someting meaningfu;l to you and your husband - maybe something you both find, cozy, inviting and a bit sexy, too.

• nelliebean
    12 days ago

I think I would start with swapping the bike and the chaise so the first thing you see as you walk in the room would be the chaise. The bike could then tuck into the other corner.

• Laura G
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions and lovely inspiration! 😊 This has given me plenty to work with, thanks so much!