Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_taylor165

Unframed Canvas Pic Dilemma

Cheryl Taylor
14 days ago

I have a 48” x 34” Unframed Canvas Picture. I’m trying to go minimalistic.
Without having to buy a floating frame, what can I add to make this picture work?

A 84” Floating Shelf underneath with a plant and/or dried stems in a vase and small shelf item decor?
Wall Sconces on each side?
A hanging plant in the corner and leave it be?
Or???……

Comments (18)

• arcy_gw
    14 days ago

It's a beautiful picture. Who not properly frame it and call the wall done?

• Cara Fidler
    14 days ago

I like the picture and suggest you find some art, wicker baskets, mirror, framed photographs to fill in the wall space on both sides. Also, rather than the white pillows on the couch, I would choose peach as is in the canvas.

• freedomplace1
    14 days ago

I think your ideas are good. I particularly like your ideas of a frame or sconces. Maybe battery operated sconces. With the frame idea, I think a larger frame and mat would highlight the piece and give it more presence there. With either of these ideas, I would suggest removing the items from the corner. imo, they distract from the art.

• Cheryl Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you for all your help. I was thinking about putting these candle sconces on each side. The picture height is 34” & the sconces length is 23.75” x 7.75”.
    I looked into getting a floating frame and matting~it was quite expensive when I only paid $60+ for the picture. Was leaning towards a less expensive route.

• freedomplace1
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You’re welcome.

Those sconces are nice. I like the candle idea. And you also have the option of using flameless/battery operated candles - for convenience and safety. For that spot, and for these purposes, that is what I would recommend. You can get candles that fit well in your sconces. You can also find some that use remote control.

https://www.southernliving.com/best-flameless-candles-8406001?

A few ideas on link above. And if you do Google searches, you will find many more. :)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

It works great, but you could go a bit lighter with the wall color or frame it for more contrast. I’d also replace the ceiling fan with a more attractive light fixture, or a white fan if you need a fan.

• Jennz9b
    13 days ago

just frame the canvas. it will look much more finished and minimalist. those candle sconces will just be dust collectors.

• Maureen
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You mentioned you wanted a minimalist look, but between adding sconces and the corner shelves I think it will be too busy. Suggest removing the shelves, lower art just a touch, add cushions (not too many) that better complement and I’m sure you’ll be happy with the outcome.

This may help.

https://homebyalley.com/how-to-style-couch-pillows/

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

Remove the light kit from the ceiling fan. The quality of the light is no good. Use table or floor lamps instead for general lighting.

You can add bronze candle sconces to make the art appear more appropriately sized for the wall.

Use flameless pillar candles with a remote control to turn them on.

Flameless Candles

• Cheryl Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Omgosh does that look great 👍
    Thank you so very much for your input!!!
    I’m purchasing them right now.

• Cheryl Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Where can I purchase the 1st hanging sconce picture?

• Cheryl Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Pottery Barn?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

Do not order anything without checking the measurements. Just because I made them look ok on your wall doesn't mean they are the correct size.

https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/ogaleesha_wall_sconce/A8010036.html?cgid=home-theater-decor

You can find bronze sconces at World Market too.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Your sofa would look much better on lighter walls in a warm white.

Here's a revamp of your room for an updated look.where I've incorporated accent pillows with some of the colours from your painting..

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

Remove the corner shelves as already said. Place a small pillow below the art to repeat a color in the art. (tangerine?)..

• Cheryl Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

@ Maureen~what site can I see that pillow picture. Would like to know the color of the pillows.

• Maureen
    12 days ago

Colors were not identified, but my guess:

• la_la Girl
    12 days ago

Such good advice on this thread - just a quick note that I was able to get a custom canvas floater frame on etsy - it was inexpensive but polished up the piece quite a bit