Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_808261695

Why don't more people have Farmhouse sinks in the Bathrooms?

Yolanda
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Why don't more people have farmhouse sinks in the bathrooms? I'm doing a remodel and it just occurred to me this could be a solution to my problems.

The reason is for ergonomics and function. I'm sick and tired of the typical little sink basins that I have to lean forward and hover over.

1. One reason is washing my face. It's a complete disaster no matter how careful I am. Water splashing all over the place. Getting water all over the counter ledge that runs between my body and sink, which means since I'm leaning forward, I'm always spoiling my clothes with the gunky soapy water. I've soaked my blouse too many times that I'm sometimes undressing completely just to wash my face. I've seen my husband come out with a completely wet shirt from washing his face. Ridiculous.
  2. Another reason is washing my hair. There are time where I want to quickly wash my hair without having to take a shower. It's a complete disaster with the little under-mount sink. With a farmhouse sink, I'd imagine it being a piece of cake.
  3. Another reason is soaking. Sometimes I wish my sink was larger for soaking a few articles of clothing. A farmhouse sink would offer greater volume of water. Yes, a farmhouse sink doesn't have an overflow drain, but never in my entire life have I overflowed anything. I thought those drain holes were mainly as an aid for young children. Giving them baths or having them wash their hands unsupervised. The same reason a kitchen sink doesn't have drain holes. Two year olds aren't likely to use them. Code only specifies overflow drain holes for bathtubs, that's it. Anyways, would be nice to soak more than 1 pice of clothing.

A sink is for,

Washing thy face.

Cleaning thy teeth.

Washing thy hands.

Washing thy hair.

Yet 99% of us have these tiny little sinks placed in the center of the counter, where we lean forward to reach, with a big chunky run of countertop between our bodies and the water source. Why do we do this?

Having a wide and deep farm sink right up against your body just makes sense, right?

Why aren't farmhouse sinks being used? Even in actual farmhouses, I never see them. In fact, I have NEVER seen a farmhouse sink in any bathroom in person in my entire adult life.

Anyways, I think I'm going to get one, but I wanted to ask the community. Maybe I'm overlooking something here and somebody can give me pause.

Comments (41)

• arcy_gw
    14 days ago

I don't understand why anyone has one in the kitchen...bathroom makes more sense especially if you have a baby that needs a bath.

• Nicole Jackson
    14 days ago

I always wanted a shallow very long sink (like at camps for kids) where I could bathe baby, and then the kiddos could all line up an brush teeth or a few could wash faces etc… 😊.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

No Idea. But my face is washed every morning in the shower, and in the evening I use make up/cleansing towelettes. Even without those? If I HAD to sink wash my hair in a sink, it would be in the kitchen sink, and I have never understood the need to get water all over a counter or myself, while brushing my teeth..........let alone while washing my hands.

Or???

Have what you like, you don't need permission of a community. Pretty sure the selections available are going to give you same water splashing: )

• la_la Girl
    14 days ago

For baths with vanities, I think counter space & storage is usually seen as a higher value than sink volume - and often space is tight so there has to be tradeoffs

(custom homes may also have a laundry sink and larger showers with a handheld shower sprayer + bench for hair)

for big sinks in the bath, I like the Kohler Brockway but I definitely think you should get what you want ✨

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

Sorry but I do not even know why they have them in kitchens . Washing your face is not a huge water splashing endeavor even my kids learned how to wash up without a flood . I am with Jan.

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

I love this idea.... I am not sure I could do it... But I think of all the clever ways it could be used.

I also love the Trough sink.. My kids are grown but how sweet that they could all brush teeth together.

Estate - Peoa, Utah · More Info

3812 Calvert St NW · More Info

Chappaqua "Serene and Modern" Master Bathroom · More Info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    14 days ago

Am guessing expense is one reason. Farmhouse sinks tend to be more expensive that regular bathrooms sinks.

• beesneeds
    14 days ago

Maybe a little bit of tradition too. Farmhouse sinks are more traditionally kitchen sinks. Babies were often bathed in the kitchen sink too. Bathroom sinks have been more traditionally a small bowl for smaller washing/use. It's only been fairly recently with larger and more modern bathroom use that a bigger work sink has been felt necessary or starting to get pitched. Modern farmhouse is creeping into the bathrooms like how barn doors have crept into human living spaces.

• Maureen
    14 days ago

If you like the look and perceived improved functionality then go for it, but I really can’t see it solving most of your issues and most likely why it‘s rarely seen in bathrooms, along with its look not suiting many bathrooms.

- It will not help with water being splashed on counter or your clothes, that’s based on how you wash and volume of water either from tap or in basin.

- You’ll still have to lean over, just because it‘s deeper won’t remedy that - just opt for a higher vanity or sink on counter.

- I use the kitchen sink to wash my hair in a jam; perhaps a viable option occasionally.

- Not sure if 99% of the population have tiny sinks; there are lots of style/size options - if counter can accommodate. Even pedestal sinks can come in a larger size.

- Consider using length, if that would help with soaking larger items (which may mean loosing counter space) or use the bathtub or laundry room sink.

• kelli_ga
    14 days ago

I always thought there should be a bathroom faucet spout that rotated upward to make a little fountain to wash my face. Seems messy, and probably doesn’t exist. May not be safe for everyone. I guess kitchen sprayers are closest to that.

For soaking clothes, a bucket in a bathtub works. I have small buckets and large buckets depending on the need. I guess it depends on how much you soak stuff and if tub usage and bending over is a problem. I use the bathroom sink much more than the tub so at least if the soaking were in the tub, I could use the sink at all times.

As someone who has used a deep utility sink as a kitchen sink during renovations, I would never install a farmhouse sink.

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

yes, a fountain for my face. @kelli_ga I love it!!!

• ci_lantro
    14 days ago

A smallish farm sink in a bathroom makes sense to me. I over winter some plants in a sunny window in an upstairs bedroom. It would be nice to have an easy to use sink to fill watering containers on the same floor. Also would be handy to have for bits of handwashing delicates and/ or soaking stains. Vs sending them down the laundry chute to the basement and letting the stains set before I get down there to do my once a week laundry.

• Kendrah
    14 days ago

You'd need a larger bathroom, larger house, and maybe even make your water bills go up. How has the American design industry not thought of and marketed the heck out of this one already? I think you are on to something.

Washing your face with wash cloths or cotton pads eliminates the big splash. Also possible the curve of your sink and angle of faucet are making the water hit and splash strangely. Your water pressure may also be too high.

• vinmarks
    14 days ago

I have double sinks in my bathroom. If I used farmhouse sinks there would be no counter space. I suds up my face and then use a wash cloth. No splashing. I do not wash my hair in the sink. I have a slop sink if I needed to soak something. Been living here 6 years and have yet to soak anything. But if you think it would work for you go for it. Everyone has different needs.

• kelli_ga
    14 days ago

Ci_lantro, I found a bathroom faucet that was inexpensive and tall enough to fit a water pitcher under. The spout also rotates left and right like a kitchen faucet. It is proportioned like a bathroom faucet. Not unattractive. I can find the link if anyone expresses interest.

Regarding using cloths or wipes to wash face, when you have really sensitive or irritated skin, those can exacerbate it. My eyelids are especially sensitive. For those reasons, I prefer a water wash with liquid face soap and no cloth, and a thorough rinse. For now, the only way I know to get that is in the shower.

• PRO
    Zumi
    14 days ago

Because kitchen counters are 25” deep and vanity counters are 19”-22” deep. Unless you have a custom sink created, or use kitchen cabinets, an apron front sink will not fit. Bathrooms with tight cleances, which is most, cannot afford the loss of inches that a farm d k would require. Plus the added cost of a wall mount faucet, and the $1200 sink.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    14 days ago

Farmhouse sinks are just not very elegant in appearance.

• Tish
    14 days ago

The people who tried it suddenly became better acquainted with math.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    14 days ago

I have one and I like it. The drain has no air vent, so it can be a bit slow at times

• Yolanda
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@arden hills estates can you post a photo for me?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I wonder how many ways it needs to be seen?What's next? A commercial size laundry tub in your primary?

If you are ON a farm.....? Otherwise it is a FAD and not a lasting trend

I think we have reached a point where we are so lazy, so sloppy, we have to have a "go with" for every potential mini disaster?

You get water on the counter or floor? You wipe it up. OH NO! Now you have a damp rag! Uh oh! Now what? I need a hook..... I need three laundries in the house, I need two dishwashers, ( hahah we had three, because there were three girls in the family" .....and on it goes to my toilet must have a closet, my real closet must be the size of a teen bedroom and each TEEN in the house must have their own bath. .................

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

It is a b.a.t.h.ro.om not the kitchen at the back forty , Joe.

• nester44
    12 days ago

My biggest issue when washing my face is water dribbling down my arms when I rinse my face with water in my cupped hands. A farmhouse sink wouldn't solve that problem, even if I liked that type of sink, which I don't (not even in a kitchen). A folded-up towel on the countertop at the outer ledge of the sink solves my problem. I'm also mystified as to the current trend toward 36" vanities in bathrooms instead of the traditional 32" height. This is the worst idea ever. Higher sinks make it more difficult to do everything that people need to do in their bathroom sinks.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

: ) Low sinks/vanities were a back breaker for anyone over 5'5" .......

Call it evolution.

• kelli_ga
    12 days ago

This old reddit thread has a lot of good suggestions for rinsing your face:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/24x6si/how_do_you_rinse_your_face_without_getting_water/

OP, it might help to look at this before deciding on your reno.

• Mrs Pete
    10 days ago

Why don't more people have farmhouse sinks in the bathrooms?

I don't buy into any of your reasons:

- I have no problem washing my face in a small sink ... perhaps if you're splashing so much, a rectangular sink would be better than a typical oval style?

- I never wash my hair in the sink. If I wanted to wash my hair in a place other than the sink, I'd consider a hand-held for the tub; it'd be easier to bend over the tub than the sink /less water spray outside the tub.

- If I soak things, I use the washing machine's soak feature.

People don't use farmhouse sinks in bathrooms because they'd drive the vanity size up /demand more square footage in the bathroom, and they'd look out of proportion in a typical bathroom vanity. If all the vanity space goes to the sink, you're cheated of counter space and drawer space.

Yet 99% of us have these tiny little sinks placed in the center of the counter, where we lean forward to reach, with a big chunky run of countertop between our bodies and the water source. Why do we do this?

I've never had a tiny little sink -- not even in a rented apartment -- always at least 18" or so. Plenty to do the job. I've literally never wished for a larger sink. And counter space is just as necessary as sink space.

Why aren't farmhouse sinks being used? Even in actual farmhouses, I never see them.

What's sold today as a farmhouse sink isn't what I actually saw growing up in farm country. Here's what was most common -- these worked well in kitchens with homemade cabinets and were great for canning or working with whole chickens, etc. Nothing could fall between the cracks.

I'm sick and tired of the typical little sink basins that I have to lean forward and hover over.

You're describing two separate issues here:

- A too-short vanity and a too-small sink. When I was a kid, vanities were shorter -- I didn't notice it then, but when I visit my childhood home, I wonder why the vanity's so uncomfortably short.

- You can get larger bathroom sinks.

bathroom makes more sense especially if you have a baby that needs a bath.

Babies stay babies such a short period of time. I wouldn't build-in something just for a baby's needs, and plastic tubs work quite well.

always wanted a shallow very long sink (like at camps for kids) where I could bathe baby, and then the kiddos could all line up an brush teeth or a few could wash faces etc… 😊.

That's a trough sink, and Kohler makes them.

But, in reality, the kids aren't going to line up and do their washing together. Ever. Build for reality.

but I really can’t see it solving most of your issues

True.

I always thought there should be a bathroom faucet spout that rotated upward to make a little fountain to wash my face. Seems messy, and probably doesn’t exist.

It exists for the tub, not the sink. As you say, it'd be excessively messy at the sink.

Plus the added cost of a wall mount faucet, and the $1200 sink.

Yes, bathrooms rarely include wall-mounted faucets, which is too bad because they make cleaning easier -- you can run your cleaning rag right under them. But they are harder to install and more expensive. So many people prefer to prefer to do two cheap-o duplicate sinks with cheap 4" spread faucets instead of one well-done sink.

A fad that's several hundred years old. Who knew?

Well, not really. The farmhouse sinks that've been around for hundreds of years are the overly-large porcelain whole-cabinet models like I showed above -- and those are in big demand in antique shops, etc. While I love them, what Lowes sells as a farmhouse sink isn't really what people used in farmhouses for generations -- it's a much smaller, more modern version.

• Yolanda
    Original Author
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

People don't use farmhouse sinks in bathrooms because they'd drive the vanity size up /demand more square footage in the bathroom, and they'd look out of proportion in a typical bathroom vanity. If all the vanity space goes to the sink, you're cheated of counter space and drawer space.

I don't think the sinks look "out of proportion" in any of the photos I shared. Sure, if we're talking about a 30" vanity, it would not make sense, but not a 4' 5' or 6' one. In my photos, they all have the same amount of drawer space an under-mount sink would take up.

You make a good point about vanity height (I think 36" is ideal for most I would imagine, we are no longer as short and stubby).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

If you want it? Do it!

It's unclear to me, why you'd need permission from anyone.

• John 9a
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I see lots of sinks for baths that don't look very functional, specifically those that look like a glass bowl perched on top of the counter, but some like them and it seems to be a thing in some circles. I think you are doing a good job collecting additional insight...you are certainly not requesting permission....before you make a final decision. I hardly do anything but brush my teeth and wash my hands in the bathroom sink but I still wouldn't object to having a farmhouse sink in a home I wanted to buy. The one thing I would suggest is to consider how well the model you choose will drain. Smaller sinks get more water over them and are more self-cleaning.....toothpaste globs wash down the drain more readily. The farmhouse style looks like might take more daily maintenance to keep the basin clean, especially the models with an almost flat floor.

I'm picky about my vanity surface, faucet, and basin so I keep a hand towel next to the sink that is a designated mop up towel. When I am done with whatever I do at the sink, I take the towel and dry off the faucet, countertop, and the basin. It keeps everything spotless. That's easy for a single guy but probably impossible for a family!

• bpath
    9 days ago

I grew up with this sink

in my family’s 1970 build (mine was pink!) Very functional. Meant for washing hair, but also good for a little handwashing of lingerie. In looking for this picture, I found it in Retrorenovation, and it’s been discontinued, but could probably still be found.

• HU-910663146
    8 days ago

More of us don't have them because we don't like them or they don't fit the style of the home.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    8 days ago

My goodness. You can wash your face and your hair the same time as you wash your body in the shower. Regularly. Because all of you who are on the nonshowering nonhairwashing bandwagon stink. Yes, you do stink and your hair is greasy and has flakes of stuff in it. I really don’t understand this fad. If you need to wash your face in the sink, put a hand towel down across the front of the sink to catch splashes. Use a makeup removing wipe or a washcloth to remove makeup first. Then wash. The towel is right there, pat your face dry. And soak your clothes in the utility sink in the laundry room.

• bpath
    8 days ago

@kelli_ga, I always thought there should be a bathroom faucet spout that rotated upward to make a little fountain to wash my face. Seems messy, and probably doesn’t exist.

It does exist! or, at least it did. In the same house where I had the sink I posted above, my parents had a ”his-and-hers” bath, and Dad’s sink had such a faucet! I’m not sure why, other than that they completely embraced 1970 trends. After a few years, though, the faucet was replaced with a ”normal” one, I don’t recall why he didn’t like it. I think it was, as you said, messy.

• Nancy in Mich
    6 days ago

There are other styles of bathroom sinks that do what a farmhouse sink does without being big and square. Mine is called a semi-recessed sink, and several European sink makers feature them. They also make “counter sinks” in which the sink is integrated into a waterproof countertop and the whole thing fits nicely over their wall-hung legless vanities. Lastly, there are your good, old-fashioned console sinks. These are the big porcelain ones on brass legs. All of these feature little or no countertop between you and the sink bowl. They work like your farmhouse sink in that way, and sometimes are big enough to use to hand-wash laundry or small dogs. Oh - and then there is the Kohler Brockway sink, a big utility sink 3 to 4 feet wide with 2 or 3 faucets. It can be hung on the wall or set into a custom furniture piece. It was very popular for children’s bathrooms a couple years ago.

• MongoCT
    6 days ago

"BeverlyFLADeziner

8 days ago

Farmhouse sinks are just not very elegant in appearance."

You forgot to add "...in my opinion."

• MongoCT
    6 days ago

"JAN MOYER

Otherwise it is a FAD and not a lasting trend"

You forgot to add "...in my opinion."

• MongoCT
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Folks, if you want something, go for it. Me? In a bathroom I'd not want a farm sink, but a trough sink might be nice. But that's me. Not you.

Here's the odd thought.

I built our house, meaning I swung the hammer and built my house) so my wife could have had anything she wanted in our master bath. I had two sinks in the original design, she scoffed at the idea and essentially told me it was a waste of resources, money, counter space, and...(add your waste here)..., etc, to have two sinks.

So in our home we have one sink that we share. That's an "egads" to probably 90% of the homeowners and 100% of the realtors out there. But guess what. I'm considerate towards her, and she's considerate towards me. So it works for us. It might work for others, it might not work for others. But to say I'm wrong for having a single sink? Or that someone is wrong for wanting one thing or another?

Right or wrong "for resale" is certainly a thing. Right or wrong from a design perspective is another thing, but only from the person or institution that defined that design perspective. But I have to say that in my world, blanket "right or wrong" statements are easy to toss out, but they might not always be applicable.

Building code "right or wrong" is one thing.

Personal preference is another.

Someone is wrong for wanting a farmhouse sink? Or a pedestal sink (which I personally abhor)?

Let them have their dream. It might work for them, it might not. But geez, why do your design standards have to be correct for my life? You're not me. You don't live my life. You didn't grow up in the house I did and you're not married to the spouse I'm married to.

We're not all the same. We have varied ideas, varied needs, varied desires.

There are some out there that recognize that a single sink can work for Mr and Mrs Mongo because in their own marriage/partnership/life a single sink works for them, and they can relate to that. There are others who read that and their stomachs churns at the thought of sharing a sink with their spouse/partner/self. Yes, self. I had a single woman who wanted three separate sinks in her bathroom. And that's cool! She knew what she wanted. What she needed. She had her reasons.

Or at the shape of the sink. You like it, I hate it. I hate it, you like it. That's cool. I'm all for it. Because we're all different! I'm not going to be washing my face in your sink (unless we've been properly introduced and Mrs Mongo approves...but even then, it's not going to happen). lol

A single sink works for Mr and Mrs Mongo even after 37 years of marriage and 29 years of living in this house with one sink. "Oh, you're only saying that because you don't have the space". Uh-huh. We have the space. Our master suite is about 1100 sqft. We have the space. We simply didn't have the "want" or the "need".

Life is not a one size fits all proposition. We're not all built the same. And thank goodness for that.

Let's move past absolutes and move towards opinions.

My best to all.

Mongo

• John 9a
    5 days ago

Well put