Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_laskowski

half bath in master bedroom

Susan Laskowski
14 days ago

We are beginning a remodel of an upstairs shared bathroom 9x6 feet. We’d like to put a half bath in the master bedroom taking space from a walk in closet. Is it weird to have a half bath in a master bedroom? There isn’t enough room for a small full bath, and there’s no place else to build a closet. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments (18)

• Susan W
    14 days ago

I’m sure some will think it’s weird, but you do what you need to do. My daughter’s house has a 1/2 bath in the primary bedroom and a full bath in the hall. It’s her, her husband, and 2 babies. They’re fine with it.

• Susan Laskowski
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks Susan. It sounds similar to our house.

• eld6161
    14 days ago

I say it’s better than not having it! I appreciate having bathroom close by.

You might share a floorplan here with the measurements. I have two small guest bathrooms ( I have two homes) and my daughter had a tiny one in her co- op.

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

I think I've seen plans for a 9x6 bathroom with a shower.

• Denise Marchand
    13 days ago

A half bath is better than none, but it would help if you could post some pics and do a thumbnail sketch of the floor plan with all dimensions and adjoining rooms. You would be surprised where you can find space.

• Boxerpal
    13 days ago

I have seen some tiny micro mini full bathrooms. The brilliant minds here on Houzz could help you create a full bathroom for that master bedroom. Give us the specs and see what magic can unfold....

Houzz is full of the sweet bathrooms...

Corcoran Basement Bathroom · More Info

Compact Bathroom · More Info

Bathroom update on a budget · More Info

#Seaside Beauty · More Info

Deane Gardens Project · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You need a floor plan of the existing condition. That means the bedroom, the hall that leads to it, the closet as well. All the feet and inches of everything noted on it. Windows, walls, doorways, everything. Draw, measure, neatly boldly and upload in a jpeg format.

Anything else is idle speculating and a "mystery meat"

• Helen
    12 days ago

It is certainly better than no bath and not 'weird" at all. Many older homes have this configuration because an en suite was not normal and so they were retro fitted if they could be added.

Certainly a second toilet is a godsend for most famiies. It is relatively easy to schedule showers/baths unlike a toilet.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

A standard 3-piece bath is 5x7 so you may be able to get a shower, sink and toilet in it.

• Maureen
    12 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Weird..no and I think a good decision if you don’t need the space in closet. Suggest getting some quotes if budget is an important factor, perhaps quotes/feasibility options will help with your decision.

• PRO
    9 days ago

Why don't you post a floor plan so you can get advice on whether you can add a full bath? It could be possible and would be better for you and future homeowners if there were a full bath.

• Susan L
    9 days ago

Fresh Remodel, I think you got hacked by chat gpt 🙄

• PRO
    9 days ago

Either that or Fresh Remodel used chat gpt to answer you. I've seen it before here.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

I can never understand the lack of a floor plan to even show the space someone is ready to carve up : ).......... in any question posed.

• PRO
    Minardi
    8 days ago

A good 2 piece beats a bad 3 piece.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    8 days ago

For resale value would suggest you get a full master bath in even if you have to sacrifice other space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

A really good three piece can be had in 5'6" x 10'

It doesn't imply you be in there together. Nor will the potty be private.

But it could contain a 42 inch vanity, adequate potty space, and a really nice shower/w bench.

You'll never know until you show the walls and windows involved.

It would certainly beat a half bath