Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Blanco or Franke or ???

Jora
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We've FINALLY decided on granite composite sink for our kitchen.

Now we are trying to figure out who to go with - Blanco or Franke?

Read fantastic things about Blanco (on this site), and about both brands on others.

We would go with Blanco, except that we are looking for a single basin sink with a workstation that is removable and, out of the two, Franke is the only one that offers it. We also prefer the more 'squared off' look of Franke sinks over the slightly curved look of the Blanco.

Our dilemma is that I find this site really talks about the durability of Blanco as it being the first granite composite sink in the market, and often referring to other brands as 'knock offs'.

Is going with Franke a decision we may regret in the future?

Also, are there other brands out there who offer the same 'extras' that fit inside their sinks that come highly recommended?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (14)

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    I have a Franke, and so does my sister. We both got the big single tub sinks, and they are wonderful. I love the fact that I can put a cookie sheet, or even the grills of my range, flat on the bottom to soak or wash them. The quality of the steel is terrific, very strong and also reasonably good at not getting water spots. I wouldn’t call it “squared off” in the corners (at least compared to another sink I have which is very square), but I actually like that feature because the really square corners collect gunk and are harder to keep clean. I have the grill in my Franke, and one warning if you use the grill is that the rubber/plastic coating in it will melt if you put a hot pan directly on it. My grill has taken a beating (and shows it, a bit), but I still really like it because it lifts the stuff off the bottom and allows rinse water to flow underneath without getting on the dishes. Franke sinks are definitely very high quality.
    Jora thanked baileysr
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your response Bailyesr . You said the quality of the steel is terrific, so I'm assuming you mean stainless? Do you know if their granite composite is just as durable?

Thank you again!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nothing is easier than stainless steel and Blanco and Franke both excellent. I have a 12 year old Blanco that looks like the day it was installed. I don't bother with the grille. I detest composite. they remind me of a laundry sink.

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jan, however we are not going with stainless, rather with granite composite.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The leader in the category is Blanco. If you must.

https://www.splashgalleries.com/2016/02/08/intro-granite-composite-sinks/

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • cmbmesa
    5 years ago
    I agree with Jan that Blanco is best but we installed a Franke in another home several years ago and it has held up beautifully! In fact, it’s often the thing people who see the house comment on!
    Jora thanked cmbmesa
  • baileysr
    5 years ago
    Sorry I can’t comment on the granite composite. No experience with it....
    Jora thanked baileysr
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

The first time I rinsed out a customer's Elkay Quartz Luxe after installation, I was impressed. The water ran like the sink had been waxed. They are constantly improving this stuff. You owe it to yourself to take a look.

Jora thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • RenoGirl
    5 years ago

I can't comment on the Frankie, but we have a Blanco granite composite in metallic gray and we love it. Beautiful, sturdy sink that doesn't stain or scratch. Clean it up and rub a little olive oil into it and its shiny and new all over again. I would never get a stainless kitchen sink again after having this composite. The metallic gray goes beautifully with our kitchen and really adds a bit of sparkle and shine that the other colors just didn't have. They looked a bit flat to me. Good luck on your choice. In our experience, this composite sink it a winner.

Jora thanked RenoGirl
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Everyone - Thank you!

Joseph, I know you are experienced in the field, so we will Def. be checking the Elkay.

Kristin, like yourself we are opting for the metallic gray. Personally I think it's the most beautiful, especially with all the sparkles, and the least intrusive. Only downside is no workstation. Although we still have not finalized the sink decision. Is it possible that I can ask you to send me a pix of your sink with the countertop?

Thank you all again!

• Claire Pope
    5 years ago

I have a Franke sink and faucet, I like them but my faucet started to drip on cold (so I keep it pointed hot when off) and it is 300.00 to fix the cartridge. I think that is expensive so I just push to knob to hot not cold and it doesn't drip.

Jora thanked Claire Pope
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Claire, next on my question list would have been a Franke faucet. They look gorgeous! Unfortunately we currently have an absolutely BEAUTIFUL (different brand) faucet that started dripping soon after we purchased. The company first sent us a new cartridge, then a second - different - part, and finally replaced it with a new one.

Although we do not have any issues with the new one (yet), we are going to purchase a completely different 'reputable' brand when we swap out the sink.

Have you tried reaching out to Franke to see if they will send you the free replacement cartridge?

We've had the BEST customer service (I'm actually AMAZED) from Signature Hardware. I would buy everything from them, expect that their selection is very limited.

• Donna Cheek
    2 months ago

I have used Blanco seats in my last three houses. Wouldn’t even look at anything else. So pleased. I love the shiny white porcelain. It is a double width sink with no divider. It offers so much room for larger pots. No complaints here!