Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (16K)

• printesa
    3 days ago

Alice, I have Deutzia shrubs that bloom now white...might want to see if it works in your area

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Happy Mother’s Day Happy! I was trying to wait until tomorrow but knowing me then I would forget 💗 we have no plans until Wednesday. My daughter did apologize bc tomorrow she’ll be taking a course in chicken slaughter 🤪of course I’ll get a few for the freezer. Bet that’s never been a Mother’s Day present before! :)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Printesa I’m researching the Deutzia! Thank you 🙏

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Oh those are very pretty! Perfect size for the area I’m thinking.

• printesa
    2 days ago

They come in different flavors and sizes:)

I would take chickens, eggs, etc as gifts any time:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Actually I would too. She’s rounding up her apron and goggles as we speak 😂

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

We mowed front and back, well he did and I used the weed eater monster. Quite a workout for my arms and shoulders! May rain tomorrow! And I scrubbed floors and washed the new sheets, not on the bed yet but working on that! They are quite wrinkly but that’s ok and very very crisp! Grocery store was calling us and we did the big list! Stay home tomorrow? I’m a hoping. Any Mother’s Day plans in the making?

• happyleg
    2 days ago

Nope, broken mower is his interest.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Happy your son (?) may just surprise you! I almost bought myself flowers today 😂 but I’m saving for some outdoor yard things!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I still did not get the loppers out :(. One day, soon!

• happyleg
    2 days ago

Sun bought me on Tuesday dinner at Red Lobster. I have n't eaten there since 2019. Yummy shrimp meal $20.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Oh that’s very nice! Very special and yummy! 😋

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Happy Mother’s Day here! 💕 hoping everyone has a wonderful day!!!

• printesa
    2 days ago

I hope everyone is relaxing today. We got some gelato for his mom and went to see them. I was hoping to find the one that she really likes, but they don't always have it.

No plans for today..I feel a bit under the weather..probably catching whatever the little one has. It won't keep me down since I have work to finish by the middle of the week so even if I wanted to rest, I have no choice:)

• happyleg
    2 days ago

I'm going to cook chicken primavera and stuff like that for supper oh just fixing or trying to fix the lawn mower he doesn't know where all his stuff is in the garage cuz he has such a mess and his friend that died said he always knew where his stuff is he asked me if I seen his little block engine thing he might change out the engine I said no and I'm washing a few loads trying to cuz I got a little bit behind with all the craziness of last week there might be some craziness stuff to do got to get my daughter's bed for other grandson over there but I have to ask her and it's supposed to rain later this week I was hoping it was going to get done this weekend but here we go again with these shenanigans

• tiffany66
    2 days ago

Ladies I've been looking for garden info for when I get to MI. Yeah its planting time there. Don't forget about using Tulle netting to drape over the vegie plants to keep rodents and birds away from the vegies. This person was really cleaver by making a frame. I've seen the pvc frames in all kinds of shapes.

Oh my Dirt Lockers are so great I may just use them on my backyard slope. Gives more soil to the plantings. The brown ones seem to disappear from view.

I think these plants may be more what I need in MI on my porch. No worrying about what to plant there in the shade.

• tiffany66
    2 days ago

I think we were sold a bill of goods with the Donny Reed and Ozzie & Harriet shows. I've yet to have the life where I can do housework with pearls and a dress on. I want the fairytale.

• tiffany66
    2 days ago

Alice look at the side wall blackout panels for your bedroom blinds. Might work.

• tiffany66
    2 days ago

OM I found out I have YouTube on my TV. So much better than seeing it on my computer or tablet.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

So…25 chickens were processed today in the chicken processing farm 101 course! And a Happy “cluckin”Mother’s Day to all 😂. No really they did good and I think there was even a bit of the bubbly involved 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

It took a-lot of guts to get this far! 😊 my daughter bought the supplies last year and finally got the girls together to try it all out.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

She said the plucker was the biggest and heaviest contraption but it’s on wheels!

• tiffany66
    yesterday

OMG that is one big lot of chickens to cut up. Were they already dead when they started or did they have to do that to at this session? I think people can do whatever necessary. It's all in what you get used to. Next time will go even better and faster. WOW I just watched the video of a chicken plucker machine in action. Oh My it did a chicken in 45 seconds, and can do 4 at a time in the machine I saw. That is fast. My grandparents would have loved such a machine back in the day. Good for these ladies for taking on these chores. CHEERS!!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

No they were not already dead! I spared us some photos. They divided up the feet 😆 yes four at one time in the plucker. It did go fast and next time they’ll be better at it. Yes , CHEERS! 😝 my daughters only thing she’s weird about is cutting up a chicken. I’ll buy a whole fryer and cut it up, just right on the mix of pieces for us here, but she said the bone crunching really creeps her out. I am proud of these ladies. The other two girls come over to the house and wrangler the goats for ear tags and caste-ration . They are pretty touch girls I think. Daughter wants to do the next get together and teach them some soap making. Maybe I’ll go to that one look 👀

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

If we are all ever in a self sustainable community I’ll be comfortable doing the darning!!! Or washing eggs or garden vegetables. Those chores are probably more up my ally 💗 I do not mind cleaning fish?

• printesa
    yesterday

Nice! I haven't butchered a chicken in many years..growing up I learned how to do it..My mom would end its life and then we plucked the feathers and before cutting it in pieces, we would light a fire using alcohol so the flame would be cold. That's how we burned all the hairs from the skin of the chicken

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Oh! Printesa you really had some farm life experiences growing up! I was never around anything like that. Mostly a city girl here. Did you have a nice Mother’s Day?

• printesa
    yesterday

We had a uneventful day:) I think I got whatever cold the little one has so I am a bit slow:) I did some work, but I will probably have to go to sleep early..I feel tired and a bit sore..I'll be better tomorrow..better be:))

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Oh no! I hope you didn’t catch her cold. Yes, rest and hopefully tomorrow will be better. Eat a pickle!!! And honey:), in that order lol. I actually still have some chest congestion but I keep getting outside in this cold then warm then wet weather, so I know that doesn’t help matters any and the old leaves and grass I’ve breathing in :(.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Alice for a city girl I used to always cut up my chickens. My OH used to call me bone crusher. Hummm maybe that's what gave him the idea to never do anything wrong. None of the cutting ever bothered me, but I grew up with Mom and GMom doing it so it seem like that's just what you do. I did find that wearing rubbery gloves made it easier to grasp them.

Alice might be time for more Vick's on the chest.

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Whenever I got kind of congested, I would go to the Chinese Restaurant and get a quart of Hot and Sour Soup. Boy that stuff clears out all the sinus passages and warms the body. It was my go to remedy.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Na not needing the vicks. Fortunately got past that several weeks ago. I just feel for the joints. Sometimes I just butterfly the whole fryer. Cooks so nice and even and much quicker if I’m doing the whole bird at once.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I should really get smarter and wear my mask when I’m out in the yard this time of year, but I don’t :(.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Ooohhh the hot and sour soup would definitely do the trick! And I love my Crystals hot sauce on just about anything! Or anything cayenne 💗

• drblount10
    22 hours ago

Happy belated Mother's Day, Houzzers!

• drblount10
    22 hours ago

Let's try that again . . .

• happyleg
    22 hours ago

Hi & back to u Deb! A black pinky size spider was crawling on my dining room beam. Vac up the sucker!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

Thank you Drblount10, your just not here enough! Hope you’re doing ok! Happy Mother’s Day to you as well 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

Good afternoon everyone. Just checking in here today. Printesa have you been feeling any better and young one? I hope you both have 💗 it’s not fun at all I know to be down and stuck inside. We finally have a bit of nice weather but we’ve been inside cleaning and planning the front and back yards some more. Our ceiling fan went out of commission although I imagine it’s time for a new one anyway. We’ve been here for 10 years this October and that fan was already old I think. So…I guess we have to go get a new one so the electrician that was over yesterday can come back to install for us. I think I have a plan for the front flower beds to save a bit of money. It will be quite simple lol. Before I post out details we’ll see what evolves. Oh! Sheets are amazing so there is that. Very cool sleeping although seem a bit thin but I think that’s how these have to be. They weren’t cheap and seem very well made. May have to order another pair for back up. Wrinkly but after they are on for a day or two, seems to be stretched out. And they don’t bunch up whatsoever 💗

• kcooz07
    5 hours ago

Alice, when you have time, could you post the sheets you bought? We could use another set as well.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    5 hours ago

I thought I would try these! The thread count is less than what we had originally but i think that actually helps the coolness and they are a chenille not sateen. You can plug in that item number on lowest. Com and read specs. We like them, may be too crisp for others but that is what I was looking for.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    5 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    5 hours ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 hours ago

Just popping in to say hi! Seem the be jumping from one crisis to another. Heating up here on Texas Gulf Coast. High humidity. Flood conditions but no problem for us at least yet! No rain in forecast. Been waiting for Sprinkler Guy. No show yet.

• printesa
    4 hours ago

There is always something to be changed and fixed. The AC guy was supposed to come yesterday, but he didn't and didn't say anything..OH texted him today and he said tomorrow..we'll see We are lucky that the weather is ok..it only goes up to 73 and it's mostly cloudy..it is humid, but indoors is ok.

I'm feeling fine, thank you:) I am back to just allergies:) I should wear a mask when making dust outside, but I just can't...I've been digging today the grass that took over an area..I like the grass, but the problem is that it got mixed with some weed grass and other weeds and I am just digging everything. I will see what I will plant there..it's under a tree and around it.

The little one is better, but she is coughing and that's her usual thing whenever she catches a cold. Hopefully she will get rid of it sooner than usual

Glad to hear that the sheets feel good. Yes, they are supposed to be thin. I am sure there are all kinds of qualities, but most of us cannot afford those fancy ones:)

How are the kitties doing? We finally treated the cats..it's getting warm and I am sure that ticks are getting ready to catch

We are getting rain later and tomorrow so no gardening for a while. I did clean yesterday under the trees, trimmed the chrysanthemums today so I'm ok for now:) I have plenty of work to do, so this rain comes at a good time..it keeps me indoors to finish the actual work:)

Let us know what you are planning for the flower beds. Maybe we can help

• liasch
    30 minutes ago

I have a terrible time trying to get sheets here. I actually managed to find one more set of the viscose which are really nice to sleep under a.k.a. bamboo. You have to really check the label that it is viscose however because lots of things say bamboo and they are just microfiber. Hot. That sheet brand looks good and I will check it out. of course the problem with the viscose is that it wrinkles horribly but I care far less about that than how hot I am when I sleep.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 minutes ago

Me too Lia about the wrinkles! I ironed sheets long ago like most lol. That’s how my grandmother taught me to iron was her sheets. These after several nights still seem to be a very cool sleep, very nice indeed. I saw the bamboo, a lot of products out there last couple of years in these parts made of bamboo! Never really took the interest?

• glschisler
    18 minutes ago

We have been sleeping on Peachskins brand of sheets for several years and love them!🥰

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    10 minutes ago

Sprinkler guy came! Said he fixed everything. Will see tomorrow am!