Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quynh_dao72

design help on Spanish style home

Quynh Dao
16 days ago

Looking for design help! Would love your expertise. We just bought a Spanish style house and want to update/modernize the space. These are photos fm the prior owner so obviously all the furniture will be new. Any thoughts on pieces would be great too! I don’t love the cherry hardwood flooring but we can get carpet to cover it up if necessary. I was thinking of new flooring vs staining existing floor? I like oak but not sure it will go with the Spanish theme? There’s carpet in the bedroom and tile in the kitchen. For dining room, I don’t like the red- should we repaint the whole thing white and get rid of the wainscoting? Or do something else with contrasting colors? For the kitchen I don’t like the granite or silver chrome backsplash. I was thinking of replacing pendants, and countertops or painting cabinets. For exterior also thinking of new/painting different color?

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated! I don’t want to spend too much money but changes that y’all think would make a difference ? Links or ideas for new items would be great too!!!

Comments (32)

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    16 days ago

More photos

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

Congratulations on your beautiful home.

My first instinct is to say wait... Don't rush this process. Start collecting ideas and put together a budget and plan. Figure out what is must change and what are you willing to live with. And perhaps wait a few months. Move in, get settled and discover what you love or detest about your surroundings.

Right off the bat, I love your cabinets in the kitchen. If they are durable they may be able to stay. I love your beautiful wood floors. I hope you keep and work with them. I think Paint could go a long way to updating along with light fixtures and maybe an updated backsplash. The outside looks wonderful, a delightful dessert oasis.

But... as I say all this take a deep breath and be grateful for this lovely new home. It is going to be a blast changing into your own oasis. Take it all in, take it slow and start to come up with a plan that might not be executed for a good 6 months.

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@boxerpal Thank you! I love your idea. I just need guidance. You think the countertops are ok? It’s not our forever home so the small changes would be great. What type of paint? All white? also which light fixtures and backsplash would you recommend? Also for the wood floors to restain or keep the same ?

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Hi Paul, what color do you suggest? All white?? Or white on the bottom and keep the color on top?

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

I can hear the excitement in your heart. Good for you finding some joy in this process.

White paint would be lovely but you need the right white. Too stark won't work with the lovely Spanish villa vibe. You may want to get some samples and find the white that works. Go on to houzz and search for White paint colors... Then start collecting them. Benjamin Moore... Cotton ball, White Wisp, Simply White, Swiss coffee... You might discover you want peach or green paint.. Lets first learn what you like.

But... you may have furniture that needs work in the space and will have it's own colors.

Don't rush to remove the counters they may end up working perfectly fine for you.

Lots or ideas will start to emerge as you start collecting favorites. What are your favorite colors? What do you like? What style do you want to create? Start studying the different images you like. There are many different options you will find the right path. Enjoy the journey

• Paul F.
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Maybe a mural wallpaper?

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Paul, thanks! Can you message me? Are you a designer? I love the gray that you used for this

Boxerpal- thanks so much you’ve been so helpful!

• Paul F.
    16 days ago

Glad you like it. I'm not a designer. You wait... the pros will weigh in soon. Let's see what they say.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

@Paul F You are extrememly creative, talented and on point with almost every post I have seen. You have a natural talent. Love seeing your ideas...

Quynh Dao, I agree wait.. there will be ideas flowing in.

• Paul F.
    16 days ago

@Boxerpal Thank you so much! It's all about the space and if it inspires me and 80% of the posts here don't. I would not know what to do with a lot of them. I can't imagine doing it as a job.

• chispa
    16 days ago

Gray paint does not belong in a Spanish/Mediterranean style house.

I would lighten/freshen up the house before I moved in by having all the walls painted something like SW Alabaster or SW Greek Villa or BM White Dove. You will have to test to see what "white" looks best in your particular lighting/exposure. That will give you a clean slate to take a break and come up with a overall design for the home.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    16 days ago

It's really nice - I like the wood floors.

But I do agree about that red wall paint needing to go away - and the other color isn't any better, IMO. The combo reminds me of ketchup and mayo 😄

Also agreeing about not rushing into much yet - take time to get to know the spaces.

• Paul F.
    16 days ago

I actually just desaturated the walls to keep realistic shading and it turned them gray but... I personally don't mind a dusty gray to make colors pop in a mediterranean house.

Maybe Wabi Sabi it up?

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

@Paul F gorgeous ideas....

• chispa
    16 days ago

Lots of Spanish/Mediterranean houses were painted gray during the 15 year gray trend. The color really doesn't suit those homes, specially if they have pink-ish Travertine, which leads to an overall pink and blue look to the spaces. Second photo above is a perfect example! The gray is awful too, if there is any red saltillo tile in the house.

• Paul F.
    16 days ago

My other choice would be a very warm white. I've owned a couple Mediterraneans and that bright white is not an appealing look to me. I need some aged character... that's why I did not get Mykonos with the blinding fresh white paint... along with the heat and cat pee ammonia smell everywhere.

I brought wood floor samples home and the best most surprising of the white oak samples was one with pink and purple look in sunlight. It made the room look fresh. Although people here do whatever they can to kill the pink at all costs, I bought it. To me it's about how it looks in the house, in that light not necessarily what people would 'expect'.

• john3582
    16 days ago

I'd wait. Maybe paint everything a warm white to have a blank slate. I'm not really a fan of nuetrals but that;s where I would start. The kitchen doesn't seem to match the house but I would live with it for a year and see if the layout works. I would think about painting them turquoise with a terracotta tile, but that would be a big expense if the layout doesn't work. Dark stained oak works with Spanish. It is a really lovely house. I'd be excited too.

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you all!! Definitely going to paint it a warm white. Do you think even the living room? I kind of like it with the contrast with the beams a different color? What are your thoughts about that?

Layout? You mean if we should remodel the kitchen etc? Thought about taking down the wall to open up the space more but not sure if that’s a great idea?

Do you think we should stain the floors, a darker color or just use a lot of rugs in the meantime

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

For a warm white, Benjamin Moore makes a nice ' Navajo White' and is creamy.

'Swiss Coffee' a soft bright off-white...we have it in the bedroom. and throughout the house, too but paint makers have their own versions. Our Kelly Moore is no more.

Yes paint the Living Room same white as the foyer, dining room, hallways, etc. White upper and lower in the DR.

I would paint the fireplace surround dark charcoal gray or 'Urbane Bronze' to match the stone. I would stain the beams to match the wood of the front door.

I think the floors will be okay with the white paint everywhere and rugs. I think if the pink of the front door was restained the brown wood ot the sideboared in @Paul F. render it would help set off the floor....or even if you change the floors restain the door.

I like the blue in the bedroom but grayer like 'Contemplation' by Behr is better. And all four walls.

Gorgeous home.

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@tracefloyd absolutely love your ideas! We have Swiss coffee 75 percent in our current home (that we are selling). For DR- Do we remove that piece that’s separating the 2 paint colors so that it’s one fluid wall? How would we stain the beams? Is it currently painted ?? I will think about restraining the front door but I didn’t think it was pink? There’s carpet in the master bedroom and tile in the kitchen that’s why I was contemplating changing the flooring but if we didn’t have to that would be better!

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

How about iron ore color for the fireplace surround??

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

Iron Ore is a great color but you need to hold the paint chip up to the stone to tell.

I see your door is not pink if I view my screen from a certain angle, sorry 'bout that!

For the beams and corbels they look painted a neutral wood tone. Try brushing a water based semi-transparent Walnut or Mahogany wood stain right over the paint. Two light coats. No one will ever notice it's not wood.

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

tracefloyd, thanks so much! So you think for fireplace use a paint that will match the stone? And then for the wood beams to match the front door with the stain? For the dining room, it’s painted to contrast the white in the ceiling it has an opening - do you Suggest all white (Swiss coffee) in that space ? And do we get rid of the white trim piece between the red and the cream? Or leave it and paint above and below??

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@tracefloyd what are your thoughts on the kitchen??

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

By matching paint to wood or stone, I mean close enough to enhance the natural material. I don't see why Iron Ore wouldn't work judging by a photo. The grain in the stone will be lighter.

We did Swiss Coffee for all walls, trim, and ceiling. Brown doors, brown stairs, and brown fireplace/built-ins. Gorgeous. You won't believe how open and serene. Monastic is the word.

The kitchen looks great to me.

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

Here is a concept of my color scheme. This is a "squint your eyes to visualize" render...the colors are NOT paint samples, just approximations

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Tracefloyd . This looks amazing! Thanks. Also, for the kitchen you think the silver/chrome backsplash is ok?

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

For the dining room , what about something like this ? My friends mom painted the ceiling opening part and then diff color next to it? Or do you think that’s too much

• Quynh Dao
    Original Author
    15 days ago

What color should we stain the floor? To match the door?? Beams would match the door and floor??

• Paul F.
    15 days ago

You can personalize the dining space however you like. There are no rules... just good ideas and bad ones. Consider a little whimsy with a bird wallpaper in the ceiling cove. Don't go too generic with the design, have fun.

• Paul F.
    5 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

I think you're in Los Angeles. I could see some of this auction furniture in your new house. Its next week downtown L.A. !

https://bid.billingsauction.com/auctions/billings/latin-art-design-14015/catalog#catalog

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!