Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbm33_gw

Craftsman Mower Sparks when blade is engaged

rbm33
14 years ago

I have a craftsman DLT 2000 mower with a different engine in it, it is a B&S ELS 26hp model 446777 type 0127 E1. When i got the mower it had a bad oil leak in it, so i pulled the motor and replaced the pan gasket, and a few other gaskets that were accessible and easy to get to. Before i pulled the motor everything worked fine, just smoked like crazy.

After i re-installed the motor, and hooked up the deck, the motor runs ok, but when i engage the mower blades, the mower starts to shake, and i get sparks shooting out of it, i see the sparks coming from around the shaft area, i haven't gotten under it to see for sure, but thats the general area.

I was sure i got everything lined up right and tightened correctly, but not sure. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

I should also mention that the first time i tried to engage the blades it took a bit (30 seconds) for it to engage fully, the second time, i never let it get fully engaged because i noticed the sparks.

Any help would be great. I also have to replace the head gaskets now since i've noticed they leak as well, any suggestions or tips on that would be nice as well.

Comments (12)

• baymee
    14 years ago

Does this unit have an electric clutch to engage the brakes........that may not be adjusted correctly?

• dynamike59
    14 years ago

When you said "before I pulled the motor ,everything worked fine" does that include the mower deck?
    Shacking and sparks generally means your mower deck spindles are shot.

• rcmoser
    14 years ago

I would also suspect the elect. clutch wiring Chafed and grounding out or the elect clutch itself from the oil leaking down on it?. Your going to have to pull the deck and engage the elect. clutch to see if you still see the sparks. IF not then as suggested above inspect you deck pulleys and see if the turn freely? one maybe frozen or brg's so bad that it verily turns causing clutch overload and the shaking from the hard turning brg. I would also check the air gap on the elect. clutch as baymee suggested.

• rbm33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the deck and everything worked fine, i mowed a couple of passes before it smoked me out.

There is an excessive amount of oil that leaked onto the clutch. The wires appear to be in ok shape. The pully's on the deck are all in good condition.

I'll pull the deck again and see if the clutch is the problem. Thanks for the help.

• rcbe
    14 years ago

get the clutch, pulleys, belts, etc. cleaned up and completely free of that residual oil. Can easily cause smoking from slippage.

• mownie
    14 years ago

Did you by chance notice the sparks in the dark. It is possible that the sparks you saw your being expelled out the exhaust from the muffler. But it is also possible that the PTO clutch is slipping and heating up enough to generate some sparks. If that is the case you will surely need to perform an air gap adjustment on the PTO clutch.

• rbm33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, so i just got done replacing both head gaskets as they were both blown. Runs like a top now. I removed the deck and with the mower running i engaged the mower blades and it bogged the engine down and wanted to kill it. No sparks this time. Sparks might have been from the exhaust as one bolt wasn't tightened very well, or from the head itself as the gaskets had 2" spots missing.

So i'm going to remove the clutch and clean it, one of the oil leaks dripped right into it and it flung allot of oil out when i started it last.

It has to be something i did since it worked fine before i took it all apart, but not sure.

• rbm33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update, it all works fine, I'M MOWING :) i took the clutch off, looked at it, wiped it down a bit, checked the pulley's, re-installed it, crossed my fingers and it worked.

When i checked it without the deck on, i didn't realize that it had the seat safety switch and thats why it was shutting down.

I'm guessing i had something missalinged or something simple like that.

This is a great forum, i learned allot here, there is tons of info that i would have never gotten anywhere else without having to pay for it. Thank you all for your suggestions.

• rcbe
    14 years ago

and we always appreciate the feedback/followup. Glad yer back up and runnin, again.

• wmearp
    7 years ago

I recently bought a used Craftsman 2042 mower. The PTO clutch sparks alot when I shut down the deck. How do you adjust the air gap on the PTO clutch?

• tomplum
    7 years ago

It likely isn't adjustable. If it is, it would have 3 nuts on the bottom.You evenly tighten the nuts and check with a feeler gauge so you get the proper gap.

• Christopher Vickers
    7 months ago

I have a Ch lt 1500. That is doing the same thing only when I engage the deck belt. It will start sparking around the front pulley continue engaged I bought 2

Sponsored
Integrity Landscape Services LLC.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Texas-Based, Turnkey Landscape Installations
More Discussions