Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbrother44

GT5000 Maintenance

bigbrother44
17 years ago

I have a Craftsman GT5000 with a Kohler Pro 25hp engine (model CV730-0017). I want to change the oil, so I took a look at the tractor, didn't see the drain plug. If at first I don't succeed the instruction manual I shall read, and it referred to a drain tube (didn't get one w/ the tractor) and a valve at the bottom of the dipstick/filler tube. Now I may be completely blind, but I'm not finding it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not usually this mechanically challenged. I regularly do my own maintenance and I've even replaced engines in pickups (and yes they ran again afterwards), so I should be able to do this...

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• johndeere
    17 years ago

I do not have a Craftsman but I do have a Kohler in a Cub Cadet so I will try to help.The drain should be on the right side facing the front or sitting on the seat.But it could be on the left.Look for the oil filter its ussualy right below it.Close to the frame and back more then likley.That why they have the drain hose.You could use a piece of old garden hose maybe to drain it.My drain valve is a yellow plastic push in and turn gizmo and you put the hose on before you push in and turn other wise you have a mess.

• jimtnc
    17 years ago

How about the GT5k manuals. They should be explicit on what to do, and if you don't have a manual you download for the Sears site...under "parts", I think.

• mtnarcher
    17 years ago

BigBro-

On the right side (Opposite side from the filter),look directly behind the frame a little ways back from the tire. Turn the tire to the left will give you a little more room. You can see the top of the tube above the frame and the bottom of the tube looking under the tractor. Looking at the top, you can see which way to twist, then pull down--oput comes the oil. You can find a peice of hose to fit over the tube at Lowes. About a 4" piece pushed up on tube before you open and It drains neatly into a empty gallon windshield washer fluid bottle.

LOL
    scott

• bigbrother44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mtnarcher-

Thanks for the tip. I don't know what the people that wrote my manual were thinking. The picture and description didn't match what I got. I also did not get the drain tube (I know because I kept the book, the deck wrench and the level all together in my shop). Fortunately, a piece of drip line fit perfectly! I really should have done this a long time ago I guess! Thanks again, your tip let me figure out what I was looking at.

• pappap428
    17 years ago

Hi bigbrother44
    They used two different types on the 2004 GT5000. There both located on the right side of the engine. One is real hard to get at and you have to turn a little yellow knob at the top of it to drain the oil. The other kind is really easy. There's a little brass plug that you just open and the oil will drain down the hose. The plastic hose is 8 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter. If you have an Auto-Zone in your area you can buy a STP oil filter ,Part
    #S-3512. It takes 2 quarts of oil when you change the filter. Make sure you use 10/30 WT HD Oil when you change it. If you need any other part nunbers like the air filter and pre air filter, Gas filter, Spark plugs, ect. I have them Just e-mail me. If you can find a WIX filter the part # is 51056 . I've been using the STP on mine and my oil is always clean between changes. Hope this helps. Good Luck ! Pap

• mark_amylv_com
    16 years ago

Thanks for those part #s pappa.

Does any one have a .pdf of the manual for the GT5000 that they would be (pretty please) willing to share? I just bought one used and want to do a maintenance check.

Thanks,
    Mark

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Mark - you've got mail.

• bames
    16 years ago

I need a battery for my GT5000. I have been checking around and find them a little expansive. Is $44.00 and $50.00 for a 340 CCA battery an average price? Lowes has some, but with lower CCA's. The tractor calls for a minimum of 280 CCA. I have checked some of the battery distributors on the internet, but the highest rateing was 24AH. Minimum for the GT5000 in 35AH.
    Any suggestions as to the best place to purchase a battery?

• jmac2000
    16 years ago

I too need a copy of the owners manual for gt5000. Mark, jimtnc, anyone else that can help? Anyhelp in getting a copy of the manual is much appreciated!

Thank you,
    jmac2000

• David Levesque
    5 months ago

I had a good running GT5000. I decided to change the hyrdo rear end. I pulled out the bottom Plug that has a gear in it. Drained all the oil. Refillled it with 3-1/2 qts and it will not move. The disengage bar seems to be playing a roll in this , itried everything, If i put the gear lever in forward and pull the rear disengage lever and let it go the machine jumps forward. like its not gettting in gear. Any help would be appreciated

Dave

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions